Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Posted (edited)

I turned off the Canadian Championship game at 2-0 and am going to forever pretend it ended there.

Too bad - having an mls team come to town could be fun one day.

Edit: I posted this when it was 4-0. My goodness. 

Edited by Wippersuna

On 3/25/2024 at 9:59 PM, PegCityCam said:

Brother-in-law ran into an FC Manitoba player last week. He asked about plans for the team this year. Not that he knew much more than us but said it'll probably be a bunch of "friendlies and exhibitions" this year and then most likely (and hopefully) League1 Prairies in '25. Also mentioned they played Valour recently, lost 1-0, and "not to expect much from them this year". At least not as constructed right now. Take all that with a grain of salt of course.

"not to expect much from them this year" is now a massive understatement.

Posted (edited)

I honestly think this roster, if it were every 100% healthy, would have a chance at not finishing last in the league. I'm not going to put too much stock into the 7-0 Cup loss, a result that, while terrible, is not even as bad as what happened in the Cup last year.

The problem is that nursing this team to full health does not seem like a realistic possibility and in the meantime a team that includes guys like Verhoeven and Haynes and Samake and Hundal as key players, guys deemed not good enough for CPL by their previous employers, simply can't win.

Edited by jonovision

TSS Rovers took Pacific to penalty shots after getting a few weeks notice they were a replacement team in this competition. This is after they beat us last year.

Dare I say this amateur team is (small sample size, sure) better than Valour?

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I honestly think this roster, if it were every 100% healthy, would have a chance at not finishing last in the league. I'm not going to put too much stock into the 7-0 Cup loss, a result that, while terrible, is not even as bad as what happened in the Cup last year.

The problem is that nursing this team to full health does not seem like a realistic possibility and in the meantime a team that includes guys like Verhoeven and Haynes and Samake and Hundal as key players, guys deemed not good enough for CPL by their previous employers, simply can't win.

What teams have 100% healthy rosters, ever?

Full health is a lame excuse. The roster has very little talent on it. Cast offs from every other team. The problem is that the team absolutely sucks and so does the club. How could anyone think we wouldn’t finish last looking at our roster coming into the reason? 

Edited by Soccerpro2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

What teams have 100% healthy rosters, ever?

Full health is a lame excuse. The roster has very little talent on it. Cast offs from every other team. The problem is that the team absolutely sucks and so does the club. How could anyone think we wouldn’t finish last looking at our roster coming into the reason? 

I do agree, to a point. But this team has not had its first choice complement of CBs together, for example, for more than a handful of games in over two seasons. And at the beginning of a season nearly every team is at 100% health.

This year, of the 5 or 6 guys you'd expect to be their most important players, at least 3 haven't played a minute. No other CPL team is in a remotely similar predicament, injury-wise. 

As I said earlier, I'm not going to draw any major conclusions before they play a home game. Right now all I can say is they haven't performed worse than in the same fixtures last year, but it seems unlikely they'll ever do better either.

Edited by jonovision

Let's be honest. When you have a total of 4 central defenders, 1 of which isn't fully fit, playing 3 at the back is a mistake.

I can't see either keeper being able to replace Rayane or Sirois either. Has former Whitecaps keeper Hasal been signed by anyone yet??? (Yes, I'm joking here).

Hundal and Swibel just can't be expected to provide the goals that we need. Maybe things will be different when Williams returns, but I am not hopeful.

12 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Let's be honest. When you have a total of 4 central defenders, 1 of which isn't fully fit, playing 3 at the back is a mistake.

I can't see either keeper being able to replace Rayane or Sirois either. Has former Whitecaps keeper Hasal been signed by anyone yet??? (Yes, I'm joking here).

Hundal and Swibel just can't be expected to provide the goals that we need. Maybe things will be different when Williams returns, but I am not hopeful.

The problem is playing a back 4 means you need at least 3 midfielders that can play centrally including ideally a #10 type but due to injury they don't have those available either.

Conceding multiple goals off corner kicks, is something. Is that talent, coaching or both?

Seeing Jordan Haynes get repeatedly torched is no surprise. PDS signing him AND giving him a 2 year contract when he probably had the worst season of any defender in the league during his last season at Pacific speaks volumes about PDS' ability to evaluate talent doesn't it? I don't care if you're signing him to be 7th string or a 1st string player.

PDS signing of Haynes and Samake was the bedrock of the rebuild. Samake's wild challenge causing a penalty to start the game really set the tone for the night, too.

You could also see on DeBrienne's face last night "thank God I'm out of there" just like every time we play against a former player who has moved on to literally any other team.

48 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So given that Viscosi went down to injury, Who do you think will get brought in as backup? Will we see a return for Barker, Ince or Tisseur?

Would love to see Barker or Artemenko, but suspect we will see whoever that GK was in the training camp pic, this guy...

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Start time changed from 2pm to 12:30pm.

I assume this is to avoid conflict with viewing of the Canada-France friendly on the same day

Still conflicts though! 🤔

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

Start time changed from 2pm to 12:30pm.

I assume this is to avoid conflict with viewing of the Canada-France friendly on the same day

I'll take it.  Better than getting poked in the eye with a lit cigarette.

Pinnacle club viewing?  Would sure be convenient but also very, very, weird.

39 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Blue Bombers have announced that their training camp schedule has been shifted from an alternate location to Princess Auto Stadium, so the new surface must be ready to go. 

Too bad they let Ottawa win... if they had known the turf was ready for a round 2 home game I am sure Valour would have won that Canadian Championship game 🙄

Never go wrong spending time with Patrick, and he wouldn't get even a temp without a green light from Patrick and his very astute eye so lad has to have some promise. 

Maybe we'll see.  Maybe we won't.  Definitely not an overwhelming announcement though.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I guess this is him...

training with Valour for a while

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is the "Canadian PR" at the start of the video under 'nationality'?

Turns out, he is also part of Eikon. And it would appear he is known to Valour as Eikon posted a "Happy Birthday" post on Insta back in October and it looks like he is in a Valour top. Well, a black Macron one similar to what you see them wearing in training.

Edited by EnigMattic1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is the "Canadian PR" at the start of the video under 'nationality'?

Turns out, he is also part of Eikon. And it would appear he is known to Valour as Eikon posted a "Happy Birthday" post on Insta back in October and it looks like he is in a Valour top. Well, a black Macron one similar to what you see them wearing in training.

The video posted is from Aug 2023 so he has been training with Di Stefani for a while.  He is a recent immigrant and a Winnipeg resident.  Plays on a local high school team I believe.

Will ride the bench until Viscosi recovers.  Good experience for the youngster.  (edit: Valour is saying Viscosi is "expected to miss a few weeks")

Edited by K Edgar