Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/04/11/wfc-announce-operating-profit-of-5-7-million/#:~:text=Club revenue totalled %2450.5 million,and 10.5% increase from 2022

... There is one downside the financial report with Valour FC, the Canadian Premier League team operated by the Winnipeg Football Club, having recorded a loss of $1.25 million. There have also been rumours since last fall of the team being for sale.

“It’s the same thing I said a year ago,” said Miller of Valour’s situation. “We’re going to do everything we can to make this team successful and profitable in our city. You can see already some of the changes we’ve made for this year.

“We’re making changes to find ways to get better results on the field with new hirings in soccer operations and coaching and have dedicated two sales reps specifically to Valour. We must get the attendance back up to an average of over 5,000 and find a way to make this successful going forward.” ...

I'll await the details to see how much of that $1.25 million is made up of fees paid to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (ie: not really a loss) but I expect it's not a significant percentage.

That said, Valour is middle of the pack attendance-wise, and likely at the very bottom in salary expenses for staff and players, so York, Pacific, and Vancouver must be losing as much or more. 

Edited by jonovision

https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2024/04/2023WinnipegBlueBombersAnnualReport.pdf

...As of December 31, 2023, the Club has determined that there is significant doubt surrounding the collectability of the loan receivable from Valour FC and has recorded an allowance for the impairment loss equal to the full amount of the loan receivable of $3,500,000 (2022: $2,250,000). The impairment loss on the loan receivable from Valour FC has been  recorded on the non-consolidated statement of operations...

Edit: this part is even worse:

...Credit risk associated with the loan receivable from Valour FC arises from the possibility that the entity will not have sufficient future cash flows to repay its loan. The Club has recorded an allowance for doubtful accounts against the loan receivable from Valour FC based on Valour FC's estimated future cash flows and going concern status and is included in the table below...

Think the going concern status bit implies that they are officially recording in their accounts that they think the team will probably fold. Also worth noting that it was the official Blue Bombers website that was talking about rumours of the club being for sale on the previous page.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I get it the CFL has been around forever , and the CPL in it’s infancy , but if we are to call ourselves a soccer country we have to find a way of a getting more people into our CPL stadiums in places like Winnipeg. There is no reason why the Bluebombers can get 30000 on average to games while Valour playing on the same stadium seem to get maybe 2000 from the looks of it when I’ve watched games from Winnipeg. The CPL product is actually pretty good for such a young league and I don’t see no reason why even 10000 a game for a team like Valour and many CPL teams to aim for. I’m pretty sure a decent amount of those 30000 people have some sort of connection to soccer, be it they might have played youth soccer growing up or have kids that play it, I mean next to hockey it’s the most played youth sport in Canada , and I’m pretty sure it has high participation rates even in Winnipeg and probably more kids play soccer than tackle football in Winnipeg. So if the CFL team in Winnipeg can average 30000 a game surely Valour can at the very least get 5000 to their games , soccer is not a foreign sport in Winnipeg or Canada , no excuses anymore now is the time .

Edited by SoccMan

100 years of tradition, a CFL dynasty (37-3 at home over the last 4 years), a product viewed as major league because it is shown to 500k to a million viewers on TSN every week.

I do think the crowd figures for Valour (3k average) are most often legit, and I agree it's not enough. But the product on the pitch (results-wise) has been terrible, marketing often non-existent, and the team does not have the same foothold in the community yet.

Valour's first goal should be to get back to their year 1 numbers and I think with even a little bit of winning it should be possible.

23 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I get it the CFL has been around forever , and the CPL in it’s infancy , but if we are to call ourselves a soccer country we have to find a way of a getting more people into our CPL stadiums in places like Winnipeg...

Think a problem in cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg is they expect a major league product given they have the NHL and with the best will in the world CanPL isn't anywhere close to that.

I've paid for my Onesoccer subscription and I'm looking forward to taking in at least one game this weekend that way but at the same time I can understand why it's a tough sell when people from the younger generation grew up used to watching the English Premiership or Serie A then tried to watch the Valour back in 2019 complete with spectacular non-talents like Adam Mitter or Stepen Hoyle.

The Blue Bombers appear to have never been behind this project enough to spend at the cap rather than the floor and I doubt that's changing now. Guess non-soccer CFL types may have thought any quality of pro soccer would do. Doubt the sunk cost fallacy is what is keeping them hanging around after what's written in that latest set of accounts so maybe they are still hoping to recoup some of their losses through selling their one eighth share (presumably) in CSB to another set of Mexican brothers type investors.

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I get it the CFL has been around forever , and the CPL in it’s infancy , but if we are to call ourselves a soccer country we have to find a way of a getting more people into our CPL stadiums in places like Winnipeg. There is no reason why the Bluebombers can get 30000 on average to games while Valour playing on the same stadium seem to get maybe 2000 from the looks of it when I’ve watched games from Winnipeg. The CPL product is actually pretty good for such a young league and I don’t see no reason why even 10000 a game for a team like Valour and many CPL teams to aim for. I’m pretty sure a decent amount of those 30000 people have some sort of connection to soccer, be it they might have played youth soccer growing up or have kids that play it, I mean next to hockey it’s the most played youth sport in Canada , and I’m pretty sure it has high participation rates even in Winnipeg and probably more kids play soccer than tackle football in Winnipeg. So if the CFL team in Winnipeg can average 30000 a game surely Valour can at the very least get 5000 to their games , soccer is not a foreign sport in Winnipeg or Canada , no excuses anymore now is the time .

A crowd draws a crowd! I know a lot of people that go to Bomber games, who aren't football fans because it's packed and fun. Hard for people to have fun with 3k in a 30k stadium. They need some wins, that will draw fans, and the fans will draw more fans.

4 hours ago, johnyb said:

A crowd draws a crowd! I know a lot of people that go to Bomber games, who aren't football fans because it's packed and fun.

That's modern sports marketing that looks to draw a specific audience.  Have a party with some sort of game in the background.  The ticket areas that nobody wanted before have now become popular party decks (in North America)  Throw some legal sports betting in there as well to help drive interest.  It's less about the game anymore.

6 hours ago, rhadan said:

A -$1.3m loss !?? Sounds fishy, even after the money the each club gets from 1soccer? how much are the bombers charging themselves for rent for valour fc !? . Sounds like paper loses that winnipeg football club just wants to show loses to claim them

Worth bearing in mind that we already know that Mediapro failed to provide at least some of the rights payments due last year, so how much money do the clubs receive for a 12.5% share on that plus any CSB surplus after the league office operations have also presumably been funded out of those revenue streams? My guess would be that income could easily form part of the $1,518,155 total revenues number stated in the accounts. We don't know what the paid attendance numbers are, but from what we see on Onesoccer webstreams I wouldn't be shocked if it's under 2000 per game on average and ticket revenues over the course of a season are under $1,000,000.

The accounts state the Blue Bombers waived payments that were due to them for operating the Valour:

https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2024/04/2023WinnipegBlueBombersAnnualReport.pdf

...The Club and Valour FC have entered into an agreement whereby Valour FC appointed the Club as manager of the operation of the Canadian Premier League franchise held by Valour FC. During the year, the Club waived the payments that were otherwise due under the agreement. Accordingly, Valour FC made a payment of $nil (2022: $nil) to the Club during the year for the operation of Valour FC.

The Club collected $262,155 (2022: $250,865) on behalf of Valour FC for the ancillary net revenues associated with the sale of Valour FC merchandise throughout the year, along with the sale of food and beverage, and the provision of parking at Valour FC home matches. The full amount was advanced to Valour FC during the year...

That implies that the loss for the 2023 financial year would probably have been significantly larger if the Blue Bombers were not the ones operating the Valour and the CanPL club was a tenant at IG Field (or whatever it is called now) under separate ownership.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

USports draft pick Sheppard not listed in the "forwards preview".  https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-24-preview-the-forwards

Guess he did not make the team, too bad.  Had hopes for him to succeed at the CanPL level.

Not sure how these forwards fit together - 4 of 5 are listed as "centre-forward" on transfermarkt.  None are listed as winger for the main position.  Hope PDS has it all figured out.  (If not it will be a long season for Valour fans -- and possibly a short season for PDS)

Surprised Sheppard didn’t crack the roster.

Valour have one forward with a decent track record for scoring at the professional level. That’s it. Year after year, that’s proven to be a recipe for disaster (not including Williams as a forward, he’s an AMC or winger in my books).

In addition, Williams is the only midfielder with offensive chops. the rest are all sideways or back passers.

As soon as I see a manager talk about how forwards have “size” I know it’s going to be a looooong year.

Edited by Soccerpro2

11 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Valour have one forward with a decent track record for scoring at the professional level. That’s it. Year after year, that’s proven to be a recipe for disaster (not including Williams as a forward, he’s an AMC or winger in my books).

In addition, Williams is the only midfielder with offensive chops. the rest are all sideways or back passers.

As soon as I see a manager talk about how forwards have “size” I know it’s going to be a looooong year.

And every year, they bring in someone else from god knows where, who can't find the back of the net with a map (Ponce, Siaj and probably Swibel now too). Well, either that or they will call them a striker and then play them out wide (Niyongabire).

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

With the new rules this year where the USports contracts do not count against the 23 roster limit you would think Valour may take a chance and sign Sheppard as an extra attacker.  Either he was far from the right level of play, Valour is too cheap, or U21 (Binate, Hanson) became the priority.  Perhaps Binate and Hanson were just far too impressive for Sheppard to crack the lineup.  Guess we will see tomorrow how "size" works for Valour's offense - hopeful but far too used to disappointment.

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Yeah, the goals are going to have to come from a lot of directions if this team is going to make any headway.  And you know what?  I can imagine it happening.

Maybe I'm still in that hopeful "first date" state of mind with this bunch but an anticipated maybe is still better than a confirmed never. 

Guess we'll see what's what tomorrow.  Either we're going home happy after the match or we're looking for a booty call.

Don't judge.  I'm just saying...

54 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Yeah, the goals are going to have to come from a lot of directions if this team is going to make any headway.  And you know what?  I can imagine it happening.

Maybe I'm still in that hopeful "first date" state of mind with this bunch but an anticipated maybe is still better than a confirmed never. 

Guess we'll see what's what tomorrow.  Either we're going home happy after the match or we're looking for a booty call.

Don't judge.  I'm just saying...

Didn’t you make the same prediction for goals last year? Or am I confusing you with another poster?

5 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Didn’t you make the same prediction for goals last year? Or am I confusing you with another poster?

It might have been me. I know I am prone to early season optimism. 

I will go out on a limb and predict that unlike last year Valour will average at least 1 goal per game.

On 4/10/2024 at 8:49 AM, jonovision said:

Anyone brave enough to attempt to guess our opening day XI?

Scrap those lineups.  The forwards are going to be even more makeshift...

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/i-dont-want-to-flirt-with-the-line-i-want-to-marry-the-playoff-spot-and-see-what-that-brings-us

"...forward Kian Williams (currently rehabbing from minor offseason surgery)..."

so upfront: Swibel - Hundal - Binate/Hanson ???

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Do we know if Faria typically plays in a more advanced role? He has 4 and 6 goal seasons in 2023 and 2022.

I think we may see a 4-4-2 with Hundal and Swibel upfront with MF's and Antonoglou getting forward at times.

As well as Williams, Polisi is also out injured.

One game I know but man being a Valour fan sucks. As a Canucks fan you’d think I’d be used to ineptitude but man.

I was going to ask how long Dos Santos will be here acknowledging that it’s a new roster so a slow start is understandable but the team can’t afford to start slow and also it’s hard to imagine anyone at Blue Bombers HQ cares enough or is invested in this long term to care about making changes. 

Edited by Wippersuna