Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

8 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I know it isn't the same guy, but who was that goalkeeper we got in as an emergency backup when we had Sirois? Was it Rode? I know we had Evan Ince and Evan Barker, but this guy was nicknamed the "Berlin Wall" or something and ended up at FC Manitoba.

Artemenko, Tsai, Barker, Ince and Tisseur have all sat on the bench for Valour over the years - guy pictured is not one of them.  Rode was at training camp last year - no idea if it is him.  New GK, Jonathan Viscosi, is in the back 2nd from the right, also in black.  Murasiranwa is furthest left.

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

Second, Ohin is the only central midfielder on the roster, for me, that has any sort of offensive talent and playmaking vision. I know he has typically been deployed defensively but that role is filled many times over on this team already. A midfield of, say, Campbell, Polisi and Verhoeven may look solid enough but will just ping non-threatening passes around all game, and maybe combine to score 2 long range goals in a season. Ohin tries stuff, and at least in the opener against York last year, occasionally can pull something off.

I do believe Valour is still required to fill its 3rd U21 spot (alongside Sanchez and Binate). Or have I missed someone.

Yes, Ohin back 👍, stay healthy 🤞.  I recall Campbell doing a decent job as an attacking MF in one game last year, but was very hesitant to shoot.

Yes, Valour is 1 U21 short in its "announced" roster.  Expect that may be resolved tonight (Greenidge-Duncan???), along with u-sport draft pick signings (Facchineri, Sheppard) announced too???

OK.  round up.

If you weren't impressed with anything else on the night you had to be impressed with the attendance.  Not that the taproom is huge or anything but having a couple of hundred people and change for a kit launch on a Thursday which just happens to be the same night as a Jets game shouldn't be underestimated.  I'm talking Year 1 sort of stuff here and I honestly don't know where that came from but who cares?  Bravo.

The alternative kit absolutely stole the show and looks about 800% more impressive in person than any graphic.  Hard to explain because maybe it's a Winnnipeg thing but the coming together, in this part of the world, of some diverse indiginous communities with a strong flavouring of French and Ukrainian sensabilities works in a way.   Think, Caribbean pirate "fashion".  Colourful gawdyness in all its anarchy celebrating growing things.  Maybe not for everyone but truly wonderful if it is.

That alternative kit will be the primary in the stands.  Mark my words.

Shout outs and acknowledgements were extended to the caretakers of soccerdom in Winnipeg.  Surprising to myself but there it was.  Both Ralph Cantafio and Tony Nocita were there and duly recongized as was Red River Rising (might as well say the Winnipeg Vs) along with our haunts Nicolino's and King's Head.

(FYI.  Funny thing, Saturday after's get together for the She Believes tourney is actually at The Grove.  Also, E & C on Carlton are quite eager to have us so I believe we'll be doing Vaour's season opening there but don't quote me on that.  Stay tuned).  

The white Fury tributes are actually quite sharp.  Not a huge fan myself but the room was buzzing and that's the point.  The design more than hints at that CSL kit and I have to admit I recalled the day I cut class to go buy my Fury white at Sweat Shack, from Mary hereself no less, and ended up talking 1st Division footie with her for an hour or more.  Gawd, I've gotten old.   

A good day.  Hope springs eternal.

Come on Valour!

Edited by Cheeta

13 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Artemenko, Tsai, Barker, Ince and Tisseur have all sat on the bench for Valour over the years - guy pictured is not one of them.  Rode was at training camp last year - no idea if it is him.  New GK, Jonathan Viscosi, is in the back 2nd from the right, also in black.  Murasiranwa is furthest left.

Sebastian Rode wasn't it? Local guy who ended up at FC Manitoba I think. I'm surprised Barker isn't there as he is no longer at FC Manitoba and he has had a couple of spells at Valour.

Nope, it was Alvin Rode. But, yeah. It isn't him.

Edited by EnigMattic1

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

OK.  round up.

If you weren't impressed with anything else on the night you had to be impressed with the attendance.  Not that the taproom is huge or anything but having a couple of hundred people and change for a kit launch on a Thursday which just happens to be the same night as a Jets game shouldn't be underestimated.  I'm talking Year 1 sort of stuff here and I honestly don't know where that came from but who cares?  Bravo.

The alternative kit absolutely stole the show and looks about 800% more impressive in person than any graphic.  Hard to explain because maybe it's a Winnnipeg thing but the coming together, in this part of the world, of some diverse indiginous communities with a strong flavouring of French and Ukrainian sensabilities works in a way.   Think, Caribbean pirate "fashion".  Colourful gawdyness in all its anarchy celebrating growing things.  Maybe not for everyone but truly wonderful if it is.

That alternative kit will be the primary in the stands.  Mark my words.

Shout outs and acknowledgements were extended to the caretakers of soccerdom in Winnipeg.  Surprising to myself but there it was.  Both Ralph Cantafio and Tony Nocita were there and duly recongized as was Red River Rising (might as well say the Winnipeg Vs) along with our haunts Nicolino's and King's Head.

(FYI.  Funny thing, Saturday after's get together for the She Believes tourney is actually at The Grove.  Also, E & C on Carlton are quite eager to have us so I believe we'll be doing Vaour's season opening there but don't quote me on that.  Stay tuned).  

The white Fury tributes are actually quite sharp.  Not a huge fan myself but the room was buzzing and that's the point.  The design more than hints at that CSL kit and I have to admit I recalled the day I cut class to go buy my Fury white at Sweat Shack, from Mary hereself no less, and ended up talking 1st Division footie with her for an hour or more.  Gawd, I've gotten old.   

A good day.  Hope springs eternal.

Come on Valour!

No stories of Portugal shared?

No new signing announced?

8 hours ago, nolando said:

Cheeta, you are perhaps my favourite Vs storyteller of all time. Would sure love to share a pint at a match someday and hear these first hand.

Cheers.  Too kind 

Not getting out too much the next year or two, unless it's on impulse.  It's still two and a half years away but I've been panicking about the '26 Finals for a while now.  Saving for that is like having another mortgage ☹️.

That said... I'm holding you to that pint!

53 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

No stories of Portugal shared?

No new signing announced?

Didn't catch anything on signings and truly, too many new faces to keep track of.  Did get a few words with some of Phil's support team.  Well spoken and certainly eager, but, less Darryl & Patrick, young.  Positive impressions though.

Portugal sounds like it was a good experience but I doubt anyone would have been bad-mouthing the trip with Daddy Miller on site 

PDS shot down the rumour going around that to save money the team were crashed at his Mum's house.  I kid, I kid.

P.S.  Making lemonade.  Having this lot on the road for the 1st couple of months may be a blessing.  With so many new moving parts getting things sorted without having to entertain the home fans has its utility.  Heard that more than once from a player or coach yesterday and don't exactly disagree.

7 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Didn't catch anything on signings and truly, too many new faces to keep track of.  Did get a few words with some of Phil's support team.  Well spoken and certainly eager, but, less Darryl & Patrick, young.  Positive impressions though.

Portugal sounds like it was a good experience but I doubt anyone would have been bad-mouthing the trip with Daddy Miller on site 

PDS shot down the rumour going around that to save money the team were crashed at his Mum's house.  I kid, I kid.

@Cheeta thanks for the updates!

Vancouver brought out Giantsopoulos at their fan gathering last night, Ottawa did the same with Didic the day before.  Really thought Valour would use last night to bring out a new unannounced signings.  They had have to have one more signed by Monday, so why not announce it in front of all the fans.

Edited by K Edgar

On 4/5/2024 at 10:16 AM, K Edgar said:

@Cheeta thanks for the updates!

Vancouver brought out Giantsopoulos at their fan gathering last night, Ottawa did the same with Didic the day before.  Really thought Valour would use last night to bring out a new unannounced signings.  They had have to have one more signed by Monday, so why not announce it in front of all the fans.

Though they might sign Malcolm Shaw from Ottawa or announce some loans.

Saw kairo coore and tboy fayia were free agents still.  Hope they get reinforcements at the summer break.

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

and Valour's 3rd U21 Cdn is.... (he's 6'3")

Oh that seems like a good fit. Glad he has a chance to fight for a place in this league. It's a feel good story that is easy to get behind for a neutral.