Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Other Winnipegger: Kianz Froese, Musse, Ohin, Mukumbilwa, Pena, Attardo, Farago.  For Sask: Levis.

too bad Moses Danto didn't work out. I thought he'd be the budding star to come out of the Peg

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Other Winnipegger: Kianz Froese, Musse, Ohin, Mukumbilwa, Pena, Attardo, Farago.  For Sask: Levis.

My point is, the players are there. It is just having the faith that your (apparently non existent) scouting team can find them.

4 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

My point is, the players are there. It is just having the faith that your (apparently non existent) scouting team can find them.

Are any CPL teams "scouting" their local scenes? It seems the local players being signed by other teams are coming from other professional setups or the occasional one popping up from the provincial pro pyramids (L1O, etc.) which have a fair degree of visibility. 

Manitoba does not have a men's pyramid. It has a beer league. Valour doesn't have a youth team so should not be in the business of scouting 15 year olds.

Of the players mentioned above, 6 got their shot with Valour. 2 moved on to better things (ie more $$), three weren't good enough for CPL and one remains. The other two went to the Whitecaps as teens before Valour was a thing.

Edited by jonovision

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Are any CPL teams "scouting" their local scenes? It seems the local players being signed by other teams are coming from other professional setups or the occasional one popping up from the provincial pro pyramids (L1O, etc.) which have a fair degree of visibility. 

Manitoba does not have a men's pyramid. It has a beer league. Valour doesn't have a youth team so should not be in the business of scouting 15 year olds.

Of the players mentioned above, 6 got their shot with Valour. 2 moved on to better things (ie more $$), three weren't good enough for CPL and one remains. The other two went to the Whitecaps as teens before Valour was a thing.

Valour have their "High Performance Side" that is slated to be joining a league in the near future. Well, it was until the rumours of the club being put up for sale. The High Performance Side is "fed" by Bonivital, Winnipeg Phoenix, Winnipeg South End United, St Charles Force and FC Northwest (who have recently partnered with Celtic in Scotland).

Vancouver FC are very active in recruiting from their local scene (Tahid, McConnell and Buchanan, the latter of who came through open trials).

22 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I didn't realize he was "known to police" as far back as 2017, at least as a shooting victim. I always assumed he couldn't get into the US while playing for Foothills (2018ish?) because of his Sudanese passport, and that the 2020 traffic stop thing was the first brush with the law. Stand corrected...

16 hours ago, jonovision said:

Are any CPL teams "scouting" their local scenes? ... Manitoba does not have a men's pyramid. It has a beer league. ...

If they have the mentality you just dispayed probably not. Something to ponder is that it's still going to be the same players no matter how you package things.

you gotta wonder if this team will even have a point before the first home game...wednesday for cup game should start the six who were on the bench today let some get a rest and then absolutely need to get some players back and go all out to get points in the next few games

if the five absents of today are still out + facchineri that would mean 16 players for wednesday

11 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Are fans going to show up for our first home game when we’re winless in our first 7 and pretty much out of the playoff race already?

Of the fans who go to a typical Valour game, how many of any kind of idea of their record? 30%? 40%?

Also, play like they did yesterday in their remaining roadies and they will definitely pick up a point or two.

12 hours ago, Big_M said:

if the five absents of today are still out + facchineri that would mean 16 players for wednesday

Starting the season with only 4 CB's (of which 3 of were healthy) when even considering playing a back 3 is extremely poor planning.  Valour needs another CB desperately (they have room on their roster, but their budget is another question) or to switch in a 2 CB formation.

18 hours ago, Big_M said:

you gotta wonder if this team will even have a point before the first home game...wednesday for cup game should start the six who were on the bench today let some get a rest and then absolutely need to get some players back and go all out to get points in the next few games

Valour should not even consider fielding a second-rate lineup in the cup as a bit of a run with a home date against the MLS team is probably the only chance they have of salvaging their year (and existing as a franchise beyond 2024). 

The league chase is already over.

24 minutes ago, Big_M said:

with 5 playoff spots in an 8 team league its far from over...they gotta start picking up points though and thats why they gotta focus on getting players back and performing in the league

A cup run only needs a handful of results to go your way. To get to 5th in the league Valour need to get consistent results. Their budget and players are so far behind the rest of the league there's just no way unless PDS is just a way better coach than every other.

There's a lot of roadway in front of us before this Magic Valour bus ride goes off into the sunset.  Three down, twenty five to go.

Don't know where the goals will come from though.  PDS better have something else up his sleeve.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

There's a lot of roadway in front of us before this Magic Valour bus ride goes off into the sunset.  Three down, twenty five to go.

Don't know where the goals will come from though.  PDS better have something else up his sleeve.

The goals will come from Themi deliveries. 

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

The opposing GK was given the "performance of the match", that says something about the Valour offense.  Something that has not been said in a long time.  Kalongo made huge saves off Binate and Swibel and a good save off Samake.  I don't recall a lot of games where Valour's offense created 4 chances of that quality since the days of Dyer and Akio.  Binate looked good, Faria and Swibel had some moments.  Antonoglou's crosses are on the mark.  If Hundal gets back on form...

I know it is only 1 game but it is the most optimistic I have felt about Valour's offense in a long time.

4 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

The opposing GK was given the "performance of the match", that says something about the Valour offense.  Something that has not been said in a long time.  Kalongo made huge saves off Binate and Swibel and a good save off Samake.  I don't recall a lot of games where Valour's offense created 4 chances of that quality since the days of Dyer and Akio.  Binate looked good, Faria and Swibel had some moments.  Antonoglou's crosses are on the mark.  If Hundal gets back on form...

I know it is only 1 game but it is the most optimistic I have felt about Valour's offense in a long time.

I do think the Swibel save was over-praised by Conway as in the end the keeper barely had to move, but it was a good scoring chance, and not the only one in that game as you point out. 

Will they be able to keep the goals out at the other end? PDS can coach up some defensive structure, but he doesn't have the horses right now and his keeper seems the weak link of the team so far.

On a happier note, I am planning my big trip to the city and the 9 year old actually wants to hoot and haller this time.  I've been in 103-105before and we've still been able catch good vibes from the trench, is it worth going down there??  Granted I do want Wheels to see my sign and wonder, who the hell is Ozzie and why is he such a dick???  

Taken from the Ottawa vs Valour Cdn Champ preview...

(https://canpl.ca/article/preview-atletico-ottawa-vs-valour-fc-2024-telus-canadian-championship)

"Valour, meanwhile, are approaching full health, although Tass Mourdoukoutas, Raphael Ohin, Kian Williams and Marcello Polisi may not yet be ready for their season debuts — although the first two did travel with the squad this week. Roberto Alarcón missed the Forge game so he may also be day-to-day, while Gianfranco Facchineri came out of Saturday’s match with a suspected head injury and Valour continue to monitor him."

WTF... 5 out injured and possibly one more (including 2 not even traveling with the team), but the slight chance 2 might return makes it "approaching full health", I don't think so.

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Taken from the Ottawa vs Valour Cdn Champ preview...

(https://canpl.ca/article/preview-atletico-ottawa-vs-valour-fc-2024-telus-canadian-championship)

"Valour, meanwhile, are approaching full health, although Tass Mourdoukoutas, Raphael Ohin, Kian Williams and Marcello Polisi may not yet be ready for their season debuts — although the first two did travel with the squad this week. Roberto Alarcón missed the Forge game so he may also be day-to-day, while Gianfranco Facchineri came out of Saturday’s match with a suspected head injury and Valour continue to monitor him."

WTF... 5 out injured and possibly one more (including 2 not even traveling with the team), but the slight chance 2 might return makes it "approaching full health", I don't think so.

And still they won't take advantage of U-Sports/developmental contracts or fill the roster.