Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - 1st Round - York United v Vancouver FC - April 19, 2023

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Left the the half after watching the Ottawa HFX match. The nightcap was a sloppy affair, York looked awful at times. Will be interesting to see how the Whitecaps approach York do they bring a full squad? 

Vancouver FC 2 would beat York if they play as poorly as they did tonight.

2 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

I don't know who the announcer was but I liked him.

His speaking style lent an air of gravitas to the proceeding.

Managed to work "foreign object" in to the proceedings. But you may have unintentionally re sparked a debate from 10 years ago. I'm also a fan but I'm also a fan of such gems as Bob Cole's "here they come! There they go!"

Edited by SpursFlu

I was super pissed after the game at how such a shitty call could decide the game and cost VFC a chance to host the Whitecaps. What a moment that would have been, especially after what we saw at Swangard. But after a few hours, I've calmed down and realized this VFC team isn't ready for a matchup like that and it would probably not be a good look for the expansion club.

6 hours ago, masster said:

I was super pissed after the game at how such a shitty call could decide the game and cost VFC a chance to host the Whitecaps. What a moment that would have been, especially after what we saw at Swangard. But after a few hours, I've calmed down and realized this VFC team isn't ready for a matchup like that and it would probably not be a good look for the expansion club.

My thoughts exactly. Vancouver has potential but they need some matches under their belt before that matchup with WFC. 

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

could this be the best ever attendance for york?? could have fans of 3-4 teams at the stadium watching this one

Not even close. Obviously you aren't going to get, say, 1000 fans from Ottawa, 1000 fans from Halifax, and 1000 fans from Vancouver, to add on to the usual 1500 or so York United fans. But even if you did, it would fall short of the 5252 fans that showed up for York 9 vs Montreal Impact back in the 2019 Canadian Championship.

15 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Ok I might have got that backwards. I personally think the Whitecaps want Vancouver fc and to a lesser degree Pacific coming to BC Place like they want a hole in their head

I personally haven't publicly revealed my affair and I wasn't expecting to be forced so quickly to publicly reveal to the Whitecaps and the supporters that they just aren't satisfying my needs anymore. I mean what's a guy to do? 

Back in 2021 I went to York vs TFC as a York fan, with a guy I have often gone to TFC games with. He was cheering for TFC, I was cheering for York. I found myself accidentally cheering for TFC a few times out of habit.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Not even close. Obviously you aren't going to get, say, 1000 fans from Ottawa, 1000 fans from Halifax, and 1000 fans from Vancouver, to add on to the usual 1500 or so York United fans. But even if you did, it would fall short of the 5252 fans that showed up for York 9 vs Montreal Impact back in the 2019 Canadian Championship.

Really can’t remember that one is that when they had the other bleachers on the other side as well?

6 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Really can’t remember that one is that when they had the other bleachers on the other side as well?

It was, had tickets in those stands on the east side of the field for the first ever York home game vs. Forge which brought a decent amount of road support. 

Just now, Cblake said:

It was, had tickets in those stands on the east side of the field for the first ever York home game vs. Forge which brought a decent amount of road support. 

So did the stadium look pretty full for that York vs Impact Cup game . 

I just watched One Soccer Today from Thursday where they talked about this game. I wasn't at all suprirsed to see the penalty call being a major talking point, but I was surprised to see them all seemingly in agreement (especially Wheeler) that there should have been a penalty in favour of Vancouver in the second half. They thought the play was a stonewall penalty, but I thought the York defender had position on the ball and just shielded it by putting his foot in the way and the Vancouver player couldn't get through him, resulting in them both falling. It seemed very much not a penalty to me.

The play in question is at 3:37 of this highlight video. I've queued up the link below.

On 4/23/2023 at 7:27 AM, Kent said:

I just watched One Soccer Today from Thursday where they talked about this game. I wasn't at all suprirsed to see the penalty call being a major talking point, but I was surprised to see them all seemingly in agreement (especially Wheeler) that there should have been a penalty in favour of Vancouver in the second half. They thought the play was a stonewall penalty, but I thought the York defender had position on the ball and just shielded it by putting his foot in the way and the Vancouver player couldn't get through him, resulting in them both falling. It seemed very much not a penalty to me.

The play in question is at 3:37 of this highlight video. I've queued up the link below.

Yeah, I remember watching that play.  To me it looks like more of a 50/50 ball and the defender obstructed the offensive player without gaining possession.  I don't think it's an obvious decision, though.

Maybe it should have been called a penalty just to counter the monstrosity of a call in the first half. 😄