League 1 Atlantic

narduch

23 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Mens championship - Maritime Summer Series - Aug 5th, 2023.

Suburban FC (NS) 7 Frederiction Reds (NB) 0.

Reinforcing why Halifax teams usually never want to play in a Maritime league.

Maybe having former CPL players like Akeem Garcia and Corey Bent on Suburban FC helped? Something the New Brunswick/PEI teams didn't have. If New Brunswick gets a CPL or a couple L1 Atlantic teams, the competition and playing time will make players and eventually, the teams better.  

2 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Maybe having former CPL players like Akeem Garcia and Corey Bent on Suburban FC helped? Something the New Brunswick/PEI teams didn't have. If New Brunswick gets a CPL or a couple L1 Atlantic teams, the competition and playing time will make players and eventually, the teams better.  

Until then, what's the attraction for Halifax teams for L1Atlantic?

4 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

The attraction is they can play and learn about being in competition.  Who else would they play, themselves?  It's the same reason we now have the CPL.  Without it, we can't grow the game in the country.  Without L1Atlantic, it's the same but on a local scale.

They would play other N.S/Halifax teams without the need of driving 3-4 hours.

8 hours ago, Raven said:

The Halifax Wanderers announce plans of joining the still-forming League1 Atlantic—which would include a women’s division.

Read more at: https://www.thecoast.ca/news-opinion/halifax-is-one-step-closer-to-having-a-pro-womens-soccer-team-31308301

League1 Atlantic hopefully starting in 2024.

With the HFX announcement, how many teams could we expect L1A to be in it is first season and will it be mostly Nova Scotia in and around the Halifax area with a team or two from New Brunswick and PEI? Is 8 realistic ?

26 minutes ago, Cblake said:

With the HFX announcement, how many teams could we expect L1A to be in it is first season and will it be mostly Nova Scotia in and around the Halifax area with a team or two from New Brunswick and PEI? Is 8 realistic ?

L1BC kicked off with 7, though obviously 8 is a better number.

If the current teams of the Maritime Super Series stay on plus Halifax Wanderers that's 4 teams. I think they could launch with a minimum of 5 teams like League 1 Alberta. Quite good coverage so far across the Maritimes.  A team from Saint John and/or Moncton would be good.

1. Suburban FC (NS)
  2. Frederiction Reds (NB)
  3. Winsloe Charlottetown FC (PEI)
  4. Halifax Wanderers u-23 (NS)
  5. TBC?
Edited by Sonny Heung-min

21 hours ago, Raven said:

The Halifax Wanderers announce plans of joining the still-forming League1 Atlantic—which would include a women’s division.

Read more at: https://www.thecoast.ca/news-opinion/halifax-is-one-step-closer-to-having-a-pro-womens-soccer-team-31308301

League1 Atlantic hopefully starting in 2024.

I think it would make a lot of sense in so many ways for every CPL team to field a women's team in their respective League 1 

Hopefully that happens very soon

12 hours ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

If the current teams of the Maritime Super Series stay on plus Halifax Wanderers that's 4 teams. I think they could launch with a minimum of 5 teams like League 1 Alberta. Quite good coverage so far across the Maritimes.  A team from Saint John and/or Moncton would be good.

1. Suburban FC (NS)
  2. Frederiction Reds (NB)
  3. Winsloe Charlottetown FC (PEI)
  4. Halifax Wanderers u-23 (NS)
  5. TBC?

I don’t have any knowledge of the teams, but I think some teams from Saint John attended the League1 Atlantic meetings. 

I live on the Quebec side of the New-Brunswick border.

No idea about the viability of a city like Edmundston, but there are plenty of players in western Quebec that can't play in a real competitive club.

Closest League1 Quebec is more than 2h away.

Degelis has a soccer program at the high school (15 mins to Edmundston) and there are plenty of great players in the Riviere-du-Loup & Rimouski area.

Even if I do not live in the Maritimes, I am keeping an eye on this beautiful League1 Maritimes project.

And if Edmundston ever get a club, I will be a member. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 3:49 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Three teams over three weekends with none having Wanderers branding. Doubt people are struggling to contain their excitement over how this is progressing

Sometimes you have to go with what you have.  I'd rather encourage this beginning than focus on it being short of what we'd all like to see.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Sometimes you have to go with what you have.  I'd rather encourage this beginning than focus on it being short of what we'd all like to see.

I am curious, why the Maritime Super Series does not have League 1 Canada branding yet as it goes into it's second year? Also it looks like a lot of the clubs you would like to see from in and around the Halifax area are not involved compared to the ex. season we saw in Alberta last year as they have their first official season in 2024. As I really do not know much about the Atlantic soccer scene I am curious what is going on ,what people think? 

I know in 2023, the League 1 meeting were held at the end of March, so that didn't give the Region much time to organize something.  We'll see what can be organized for 2024 - Spending half my life there, things move a bit slowly there (patience is needed). Perhaps someone who lives in the Region will have a better answer .

On 3/27/2024 at 9:31 PM, Cblake said:

I am curious, why the Maritime Super Series does not have League 1 Canada branding yet as it goes into it's second year? Also it looks like a lot of the clubs you would like to see from in and around the Halifax area are not involved compared to the ex. season we saw in Alberta last year as they have their first official season in 2024. As I really do not know much about the Atlantic soccer scene I am curious what is going on ,what people think? 

Alberta already had a preexisting provincial amateur league covering the Edmonton and Calgary areas that are not drastically far from each other geographically. All they had to do was take the clubs with the strongest off field setups from that like Edmonton Scottish and throw in the Calgary Foothills from PDL and some strongly financed youth club and youth academy oriented teams like BTB et voila.

In the Maritimes there is no preexisting culture of a shared league so you need to persuade people in Halifax where the strongest soccer culture is located to do a lot more driving to face clubs in places like Charlottetown that may not be an upgrade on what they were doing locally up to now. The less than stellar plan for year two may point to a reluctance to do that amongst the potential participants that would need to buy into the concept to make the whole thing fly.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:31 PM, Cblake said:

Unlike all the other L1s, the effort involves various provincial associations. So you have to coordinate egos, criteria, funding, logistics. You can't just hope for one president and board to decide and that's that.