CONCACAF's hosting monopoly

Kent

41 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I agree with you.  I think it is stupid that the US hosts everything even if they can earn more money than anyone else.

My point was that it isn't really a case of the CSA having backbone, it is a case of the CSA getting outvoted by twenty little countries that like their US money.

By analogy, I'm not fond of our current federal government but the millions of voters in Montreal and the GTA who blindly vote Liberal in every election prevent me from electing someone else.  It isn't a lack of backbone; just numbers.

The US couldn't even get CONCACAF to vote for its solo bid hence needing Mexico and Canada to join it. The vote isn't the issue - its the CSA at a time when a Canadian runs CONCACAF.

Yes Victor said the US hosting was a must for revenues but we got Gold Cup games under his tenure - you don't think Bontis wouldn't be able to get the same at the bare minimum?

Enh. Until we have infrastructure ready in a concentrated area, we shouldn't be hosting anything.

If we had 5-6 grass fields in Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa or in a cluster out west, great. Christ, even having grass fields coast to cost would be doable as a tourney structure if it weren't for our shitty airlines. But getting a rogue game here because that's all we can do, seems to me, unsatisfactory.

The US is soccer ready. They have been for a while. We've been riding their coat tails - and not to take away from the hard and appreciated work of a few key actors in Canada - but when you don't put any money into soccer infrastructure, don't be surprised when no one picks you as a credible host. 

Again, Canada does a lot of things more compassionately and sensibly better than the US. But it's hardly ever the fun stuff. It's a trade off. 

I don't say this out loud (and I don't mean it completely) but I kinda wish they were hosting the World Cup alone. I would know that I could go to Kansas City or Dallas with a better shot at tickets to cheer on Canada with you lot. We all will likely have to fight with 100,000 people going to their first (and maybe last) Canada game ever because it's status thing. Like the platinum seats at Leaf games. We certainly saw this dynamic at play for home ties against US and Jamaica

Anyway, I get the point about growing the game. I just take a more cynical view of the likely results. I think a great metric would be to see how many Canadians travel to Seattle or New York for Gold cup / Copa, then we can revisit if there might be a critical mass to host a Honduras / Jamaica QF in Winnipeg.

@Califax: I completely agree except that having some World Cup hosting buzz is good for the sport being front and centre in the country.  

But you are right about the long time supporter getting a ticket in 2026; from my understanding, the Canadian supporter allocation was oversold in Qatar.  If more than 4,000 fans went to a game in Qatar in the supporters sections plus the thousands of other Canadians around the stadium, how many do you think will want to go to a game in Vancouver/Toronto?  100,000 is very much lowballing it.

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

Bingo - It's not like Bontis even bother coming up with something. Under Montagliani, we not only got games at the Gold Cup but games in 2026.

If you never ask/pitch/propose/demand - you shall never receive.

We are not at these meetings or all the backroom meetings . How do we know Bontis has not tried to pitch anything , I honestly Think the USA has such a monoply it will be diffulcult to change anything 

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

@Califax: I completely agree except that having some World Cup hosting buzz is good for the sport being front and centre in the country.  

But you are right about the long time supporter getting a ticket in 2026; from my understanding, the Canadian supporter allocation was oversold in Qatar.  If more than 4,000 fans went to a game in Qatar in the supporters sections plus the thousands of other Canadians around the stadium, how many do you think will want to go to a game in Vancouver/Toronto?  100,000 is very much lowballing it.

I've been following the national team since I was a kid.  I wanted to go to a WCQ game in Toronto (nearest venue) this cycle.  Because I'm not a member of any of the groups, tickets were sold out before I even had a chance to buy one.

So, yes, availability is a problem.  (Using a first world definition of a "problem".)

6 hours ago, Califax said:

Enh. Until we have infrastructure ready in a concentrated area, we shouldn't be hosting anything.

If we had 5-6 grass fields in Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa or in a cluster out west, great. Christ, even having grass fields coast to cost would be doable as a tourney structure if it weren't for our shitty airlines. But getting a rogue game here because that's all we can do, seems to me, unsatisfactory.

The US is soccer ready. They have been for a while. We've been riding their coat tails - and not to take away from the hard and appreciated work of a few key actors in Canada - but when you don't put any money into soccer infrastructure, don't be surprised when no one picks you as a credible host. 

Again, Canada does a lot of things more compassionately and sensibly better than the US. But it's hardly ever the fun stuff. It's a trade off. 

I don't say this out loud (and I don't mean it completely) but I kinda wish they were hosting the World Cup alone. I would know that I could go to Kansas City or Dallas with a better shot at tickets to cheer on Canada with you lot. We all will likely have to fight with 100,000 people going to their first (and maybe last) Canada game ever because it's status thing. Like the platinum seats at Leaf games. We certainly saw this dynamic at play for home ties against US and Jamaica

Anyway, I get the point about growing the game. I just take a more cynical view of the likely results. I think a great metric would be to see how many Canadians travel to Seattle or New York for Gold cup / Copa, then we can revisit if there might be a critical mass to host a Honduras / Jamaica QF in Winnipeg.

Amen Califax you are bang on   I agree with everything you are saying . 

3 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I guarantee to you A Canada v Mexico final in either BC Place or Commonwealth  will easily get 50,000  

Attendance is only one factor. Costs are typically higher in Canada. Revenues would be lower due to lower C$, at least 20k more will be at a typical NFL stadium and ticket pricing will skew much higher.

Cheapest ticket for this year's Gold Cup Final at SoFi are behind the goal upper decks for US$114 while behind the goal lower decks are US$221+ and VIP are US$443+. Given higher Canadian costs & lower revenues, this means cheapest ticket in BC Place will be easily over C$160.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Attendance is only one factor. Costs are typically higher in Canada. Revenues would be lower due to lower C$, at least 20k more will be at a typical NFL stadium and ticket pricing will skew much higher.

Cheapest ticket for this year's Gold Cup Final at SoFi are behind the goal upper decks for US$114 while behind the goal lower decks are US$221+ and VIP are US$443+. Given higher Canadian costs & lower revenues, this means cheapest ticket in BC Place will be easily over C$160.

Oh wow…prices for a ticket in Qatar was cheaper than that.

I know normal people (I'm not normal) don't look at this stuff, but the way attendance is reported for the Gold Cup exaggerates the importance of the US as the host country. Like remember in 2019 when Canada played Martinique in front of 65,000 fans!!! Well, that didn't happen, but that's the official number from CONCACAF, because the games are all double headers so if you go to one of the games, you are counted for both. Plenty of people came for the Mexico vs Cuba game afterwards and they get counted as having gone to 2 games.

So us Canada fans, who don't have a large population that follows our national team in the USA, get to watch our team play in a lot of mostly empty stadiums and get told how great the USA is because of giant crowds. The 2019 Gold Cup is listed (on Wikipedia at least) as having an average attendance of 33,651 per game. The only crowds that even had 30k fans were involving Mexico.

I updated the original post because I didn't realize the USA was already confirmed to be hosting the final for the 2023 Gold Cup. Only the 2 Nations Leagues, the 2025 Gold Cup, and technically I think the 2026 World Cup final hasn't had the host venue confirmed as far as I know.

Guys if we want to really make a dent within CONCACAF and really gain the respect of all the other nations and of course our own too. Its simple get the results on the field on all levels whether its senior or youth , either Male and Female its simple . Nothing will make me more happier if we some how win Gold Cup in 2023 beating either the Americans or Mexico and the Officials too

• 2 weeks later...

Mont Vic will be Concacaf prez for another 4 years. He ran unopposed. Bontis is a Concacaf Council VP of North America along with Cindy Parlow.

They also announced that they will build a sporting complex in the Dominican Republic that will host centralized Concacaf competitions and football initiatives. DR has already been hosting youth women tourneys in recent years ex u15. So, this may mean at least all the men & women youth tourneys won't be hosted in the US anymore.

27 minutes ago, red card said:

Mont Vic will be Concacaf prez for another 4 years. He ran unopposed. Bontis is a Concacaf Council VP of North America along with Cindy Parlow.

They also announced that they will build a sporting complex in the Dominican Republic that will host centralized Concacaf competitions and football initiatives. DR has already been hosting youth women tourneys in recent years ex u15. So, this may mean at least all the men & women youth tourneys won't be hosted in the US anymore.

I don’t follow youth female tournaments, but I don’t believe I’ve seen many male youth national tournaments take place in the U.S.

Edited by Soccerpro2

1 hour ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I don’t follow youth female tournaments, but I don’t believe I’ve seen many male youth national tournaments take place in the U.S.

I guess you have forgotten about the IMG Academy in Florida and the U23 (Olympic Qualifying) tournaments prior to COVID.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Soccerpro2 said:

U23, yes but not u20 or u17?

US has been part of the mix. Canada u17 qualified for the World Cup in 2019 playing in Florida earlier in that year. 

2018 u20 men's qualifying was at IMG's Florida academy.

When there has been u15 men's tourneys, it has always been in the US.

5 hours ago, The Ref said:

Montagliani is here to stay another 4 years.  I see Victor being the next Fifa president after Infantino.

Assuming 2026 is a huge success, it will be the biggest windfall ever for FIFA.

So, the pathway is clear for Montagliani. But Infantino will be hard to dislodge, is of same background as Mont Vic and is a few years younger. 

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I don't see Infantino leaving anytime soon. He has the backing of Asia and Africa. 

I don't see Infantino being deposed either, but Fifa at times is surprising.  Like the saying goes "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"