FC Edmonton - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

I count seven pro teams, with three of those being pretty low budget (CPL, CFL, AHL). With a population of 7 million, that really isn't many. Winnipeg supports three with one-tenth the population. However, I doubt Torontonians will support anything other than a 'big' league. For whatever reason, local stuff just doesn't take-off there. Too busy celebrating everyone's 'heritage' I guess (i.e. cheering for Crawley Town or Crotone...)ย 

If you're including CPL, it's 4. NHL, CFL, AHL, CPL.

20 minutes ago, Kingston said:

The idea behind affiliated teams is not that they would draw better than regular teams and it is certainly not to make the CPL a farm league for MLS.ย  The idea is that, if the CPL was having trouble keeping enough teams viable, then adding three affiliated teams gives them stability since the MLS parent teams presumably would not care if their CPL affiliates ran at a financial loss.ย ย 

ย 

Except Vancouver and Montreal shut their farm teams down after a few years because they were too expensive.ย  Whitecaps said they lost millions a year.ย  ย ย 

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The Bombers can talk about how they not happy and Rollins can cast aspersions on WPG, but what can they expect?ย  Bombers dont put a lot of effort into Valour.ย  A fanbase isnt just going to appear out of nowhere, they need to put more $ out into the community/marketing, be engaged and ultimately more money on the field/players etc.ย  It seems like they are happy to run it cheap and get the 14 home games to keep IG field busy.ย  Which is a shame because it could be a lot more.ย ย 

Speculate to accumulate and all that.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:32 PM, Kingston said:

I don't think the budget and travel are so large (even relatively) that they are unrealistic.ย  Two reality checks that do need to be made:

1.ย  We need probably five non-covid years for the teams that will survive to establish themselves and develop a reliable 5000 baseline attendance...

My understanding is that the conventional wisdom on this is that you can usually tell from the fan response to the opening season whether the economic model of a new pro league or franchise in North America is going to make it or not.

Hence why, for example, spring gridiron leagues in the United States usually don't last very long before the plug gets pulled. The Canadian Baseball League would be another example closer to home:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Baseball_League

The main reason CanPL is treated as an exception is that a lot of people associated with the league appear to have convinced themselves that the 2026 World Cup is going to be a transformative event for soccer in Canada and went into the league expecting to take a financial hit for a few years in the build up to that.

The league and CSB has been structured in a way that is designed to primarily benefit the initial wave of investors financially if/when a post-2026 boom happens. The crunch moment for CanPL as currently configured would/will come if/when those investors (minus the Faths) reach a consensus on whether they have now seen enough to stop believing in that big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.ย 

The slightly awkward angle to the CMNT being In Qatar is how people associated with the Blue Bombers would react if they don't see an indication that it has moved the needle on season ticket and general admission sales in 2023.

i dont understand the singling out of WPG? Wont all the entire league be concerned if this bump of soccer interest doesnt translate into some better support of the local team next spring?ย  ย The bombers are one of the lucky teams that can make money from their ownership stake (in IG field) and not just Valours ticket sales on someone elses stadium.ย  That gives them an extra kick at the can in terms of revenue and extra incentive to keep the team going.ย  But I guess if you are looking for negative things you are apt to find them.ย ย 

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

i dont understand the singling out of WPG? Wont all the entire league be concerned if this bump of soccer interest doesnt translate into some better support of the local team next spring?ย  ย The bombers are one of the lucky teams that can make money from their ownership stake (in IG field) and not just Valours ticket sales on someone elses stadium.ย  That gives them an extra kick at the can in terms of revenue and extra incentive to keep the team going.ย  But I guess if you are looking for negative things you are apt to find them.ย ย 

I think it comes from a throwaway remark from Rollins, lumping in Valour with Edmonton. Maybe the fact that Valour are more of a side project for the ownership structure, compared to most of the other setups in CanPL.ย 

But as you say, with WFC owning (sort of) the stadium, Valour doesn't need to be as successful to be a money maker.

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It's basically OTP's latest talking point for his bus league obsessionย 

On 11/26/2022 at 10:05 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

My understanding is that the conventional wisdom on this is that you can usually tell from the fan response to the opening season whether the economic model of a new pro league or franchise in North America is going to make it or not.

I'm not sure what the conventional wisdom would be on that.ย  I was disappointed that many of the CPL teams had starting attendances as low as they were.ย  I was really hoping most would be between 5000 and 10 000 instead of sub-5000.ย  That said, we've seen evidence that teams can grow their attendances meaningfully.ย  That doesn't guarantee it will happen everywhere but it is encouraging to see that it can be done.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:05 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The main reason CanPL is treated as an exception is that a lot of people associated with the league appear to have convinced themselves that the 2026 World Cup is going to be a transformative event for soccer in Canada and went into the league expecting to take a financial hit for a few years in the build up to that.

I've seen this attitude amongst some posters on boards like these but I'm not sure I've seen anything stating it is the expectation of the ownership groups.ย  I hope not because I'm not convinced that interest in the World Cup will necessarily translate down to ticket sales for CPL teams, at least not to the extent that it would move the needle on the success and value of the teams.

21 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I've seen this attitude amongst some posters on boards like these but I'm not sure I've seen anything stating it is the expectation of the ownership groups.ย  I hope not because I'm not convinced that interest in the World Cup will necessarily translate down to ticket sales for CPL teams, at least not to the extent that it would move the needle on the success and value of the teams.

There's still time to shift marketing in a way to make the league more visible before, during and after the 2026 World Cup - which they have yet to do. It's too early to make a judgment on that.

The CPL season will be on hiatus most likely (or not) - I expect the clubs and league to try to have their logos as visible as possible everywhere around that time.

It would be stupid for them not to do so

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

There's still time to shift marketing in a way to make the league more visible before, during and after the 2026 World Cup - which they have yet to do. It's too early to make a judgment on that.

The CPL season will be on hiatus most likely (or not) - I expect the clubs and league to try to have their logos as visible as possible everywhere around that time.

I fully expect the CPL to do everything they can now and in the lead up to 2026.ย  Having followed MLS through several World Cups since even before the Canadian teams arrived, however, I don't think it would be wise to count on a needle-moving World Cup bump for the CPL.ย  There will be all kinds of fans who never or hardly follow soccer who will suddenly be all over the World Cup, just like so many of us take an interest in rowing or ski jumping every four years when the Olympics arrives.ย  A few of them will check out the CPL afterward and, by all means, I hope the league grabs them.ย  I just don't think teams and owners should be expecting thousands of new, long term CPL fans as a result of 2026 no matter how well they advertize.

1 minute ago, Kingston said:

I fully expect the CPL to do everything they can now and in the lead up to 2026.ย  Having followed MLS through several World Cups since even before the Canadian teams arrived, however, I don't think it would be wise to count on a needle-moving World Cup bump for the CPL.ย  There will be all kinds of fans who never or hardly follow soccer who will suddenly be all over the World Cup, just like so many of us take an interest in rowing or ski jumping every four years when the Olympics arrives.ย  A few of them will check out the CPL afterward and, by all means, I hope the league grabs them.ย  I just don't think teams and owners should be expecting thousands of new, long term CPL fans as a result of 2026 no matter how well they advertize.

I don't think they bank it all on 2026 but it would be inaccurate not to make a marketing push during that period and not expect to convert new fans.

Both views aren't mutually exclusive

23 hours ago, Ansem said:

On the โ€œduringโ€ World Cup part, Iโ€™ve seen the very heavy hand of FIFA here in Qatar. ย Anything that looks like marketing that isnโ€™t sanctioned is shut down. ย But that only affects two markets.

And Iโ€™m not so sure the CPL will shut down. Obviously they wonโ€™t compete directly against Canada matches. ย But 2026 is still a long time away.