FC Edmonton - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

Bit surprised Murasiranwa wasnt picked up. He was a bit of a maverick but given several clubs need of GKs I thought he would land.

Triantafillou, Higgins and maybe N'sa i thought would land too.

Kane (VFC) is another one to add to the list, he was on loan but was with the Eddie's last year.

Though murasiranwa and holiday would both be in Europe in training stints or trial. Jeff Paulus said murasiranwa is prob the best shot stopper he's seen at fcedmonton entire history. 

Def though Higgins triantafilou tboy fayai CJ smith canara would get signed in the cpl. They all developed under Alan Koch  .. valour isn't very good and Vancity is an expansion franchise. We have no idea if they trialed with any of the clubs. 

I think triantafilou is better than cale loungry and Higgins is better player than Luke Singh

Don't think Marcus Simmons is the best players out of his fc Edmonton academy class but he is the only one with first team contract. Tboy fayia, Darlington, David doe, Jose Hernandez, abraham dukely, Marcus velado tsegaye and think there were a couple usports draft picks.  Basically all the elite local kids who grew up at the same as Alphonse Davies

Does anyone know where valka is signing ?! Northern Tribune made it seem like their will be more players from FC opportunity signing in new Zealand   

50 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Between players who got significant playing time higgins is one of the worst in cpl history...beaten over and over and so many blunders...happened in ottawa and edmonton

In Ottawa he was really poor, but I actually thought he was much improved in Edmonton

4 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Honestly, can anyone see Edmonton returning in the future? I would like to thing that they could return at some point.

Ever? Yes. Quickly? I'm not sure.

The biggest issue (besides a new owner) is the stadium. It's never really sounded like the city is that interested in building one (which is fine). I wonder if Edmonton had won some 2026 games if the city/province would have been more open to supporting a smaller stadium (for WC teams to train at) or if they all just feel a bit burned by the experience right now. But I'll let someone actually in the community answer that, as I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...

So, Calgary getting provincial funding for the Flames new arena, when the province wouldn't previously help the Oilers. If there was ever a time for a potential ownership group in Edmonton to be requesting provincial funding on a stadium, now is it.

On 4/4/2023 at 2:57 PM, EnigMattic1 said:

Honestly, can anyone see Edmonton returning in the future? I would like to thing that they could return at some point.

I would like to see Edmonton return at some point.  It is simply a market that the CPL needs to eventually succeed in.

I think four things will be necessary:

1.  Some time to pass without a team so that the local fans can get over everything they've gone through in the past few years.

2.  The CPL to clearly establish itself as a financially viable league that is here to stay.

3.  An owner who possess the knowledge to engage the local market successfully.

4.  A proper stadium.

On 4/4/2023 at 5:17 AM, yothat2 said:

Does anyone know where valka is signing ?! Northern Tribune made it seem like their will be more players from FC opportunity signing in new Zealand   

I know you posted this a while ago (and might've found out already), but I just saw that Vaikla is with Scrosoppi in League1 Ontario

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

I would like to see Edmonton return at some point.  It is simply a market that the CPL needs to eventually succeed in.

1.  Some time to pass without a team so that the local fans can get over everything they've gone through in the past few years.

2.  The CPL to clearly establish itself as a financially viable league that is here to stay.

4.  A proper stadium.

I don't think the current York United situation is helping with those first two. I wouldn't be surprised if talk of an Edmonton resurrection resurfaces after the World Cup though.

8 hours ago, Kingston said:

4.  A proper stadium.

All points are correct.

All points also make the argument against the CPL returning to Edmonton in the foreseeable future.

Shrug.  I'm actually OK with that.  The cold reality is Edmonton as a market is not so vital to the CPL that accomodations need to be made, by the league, for the betterment of the league of course, just so it can have a presence in that market.  Certainly not in the same way as say, having a franchise in Quebec might have.

Serious private, and most likely public, commitments need to be made before CPL returns to Edmonchuk and frankly, I don't know where that commitment will come from.

Shrugs again.  The World Cup Finals in 2026 will be played in Toronto and Vancouver because Toronto and Vancouver want to be on that world-wide stage and are willing to pay for the privelage.   Edmonton, amongst a great number of other Canadian ciites, has shown that is not.  It is what it is and a great many people in those locations are just fine with that.   

Bit harsh maybe, but there it is. 

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

All points also make the argument against the CPL returning to Edmonton in the foreseeable future.

Shrug.  I'm actually OK with that.  The cold reality is Edmonton as a market is not so vital to the CPL that accomodations need to be made, by the league, for the betterment of the league of course, just so it can have a presence in that market.     

I agree that it will be a while before Edmonton comes back.  I don't think the league needs to make any special accommodations for Edmonton or any other specific market.  There isn't really any one place that the league absolutely cannot do without.  That said, there are only so many really appealing markets for the CPL.  Edmonton is definitely one of them so I'd really hope it is in the CPL's long term plans.

^ And tomorrow morning some business couple in Edmonton wakes up realizing the $100M they're worth is just another number, like the "70" on the birthday cake the night before. 

And tomorrow morning that business couple decides they want that $100M to be something more than just a number and damn it all, an indoor soccer center with attached outdoor stadium would make a fine, "affordable", lasting legacy for the community where they made their fortune.

And "poof" CPL is back in Edmonton.  Version 2.0.  Quit the update.

No one is holding their breath waiting for that to happen but stranger shit than that happens ever, single, day.