FC Edmonton - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Which shit team will Valour drop points to in 2023 to move them out of the playoff race? Halifax, I guess.

While the loss of Edmonton is regrettable, the one bright spot is the league will remain with an even number of teams. Crap scheduling can be mostly avoided. Hopefully the next expansion is a two-fer.

I was thinking the opposite, Edmonton had our number, Valour will be champs next year with them out of the way!!!!  

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

I guess that means that there are no "territorial" rights for Fath. The league can bring in new investors with a new club conditional to a soccer specific stadium and the Fath will be stuck with whatever debts they accumulated pre-CPL

I don't think that's clear here, one way or the other. Noonan is going to cast the CPL in the best light, as is his job. But it doesn't mean he's not omitting details either.

4 hours ago, ADP10 said:

I wonder if York will follow suit in the next few years

I have been saying this for a while. I can't see York lasting much longer. A CPL team in the Greater Toronto Area is a very bad idea, way too many pro teams in the area to compete with.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think that's clear here, one way or the other. Noonan is going to cast the CPL in the best light, as is his job. But it doesn't mean he's not omitting details either.

Any control the Faths exercise could be linked to Clarke Stadium:

...“This decision, while painful in the short term, will allow us to reset the market for a CPL return to Edmonton in the future. The key to this return is having a proper facility to showcase our matches and provide a first-rate fan experience. Unfortunately, Clarke Stadium in its current state is outdated and not suitable for this purpose. We look forward to working with the City of Edmonton leadership on a strategy to return CPL to the market in an appropriate facility. With the right venue, we fully believe Edmonton can, and should be, one of the best markets in the CPL.” ...

46 minutes ago, ATM said:

I have been saying this for a while. I can't see York lasting much longer. A CPL team in the Greater Toronto Area is a very bad idea, way too many pro teams in the area to compete with.

The bigger question mark in the short to medium term appears to be the Valour if Duane Rollins is to be believed. Suspect what happens with the Woodbine project may be pivotal for York United.

Hopefully this isn't like the Calgary Strikers' exit after the 1989 season starting a three year countdown to the league's demise. Unlike the CSL, enough is going right that they should be able to make this work if they downsized their expectations a bit.

In Edmonton that would mean working with Edmonton Scottish on a pop-up rather than expecting the City of Edmonton to build them something with all the bells and whistles now they are not a 2026 host city.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, good point.  Though I think the CPL wouldn't be returning to Clarke even if there weren't any conditions on it.

Yeah, sounds like that's out from a league perspective. Although on the rights front, according to Sandor the Faths have said there is nothing left to sell.

Fingers crossed on a new ownership group and pop up stadium for 2025. 

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Free Agents:

GK: Darlington Murasiranwa
DF: T-Boy Fayia; Nyal Higgins; Terique Mohammed
MF: Masta Kacher
FW: Mamadi Camara; Marcus Simmons; Gabriel Bitar

I can see all the players listed above playing in the CPL next year or MLS Next. 

Darlington can play an higher level eventually with more experience. Unreal shot blocker. Gaby with Atletico Ottawa make the most sense but let the bidding commence. 

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...But while there were tire-kickers, no serious offer was fielded...

This would be the most positive part from the article, maybe : “We aren’t interested in running it anymore,” said Fath. “The rights of the team belong to the league. There is nothing left for us to sell.”

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

19 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

“Let me be very clear, FC Edmonton is a unique, one-off situation, and is not at all reflective of the overall health and viability of the CPL,” said Noonan. “Building on record post-season crowds, exceptional corporate partnerships, increases in player compensation, and with active expansion discussions in no less than six prospective markets, I couldn’t be more optimistic about the future of the CPL and soccer in Canada as we head into our fifth season.”

From this excerpt from the article, I wouldn't fear that at this point.

I don't fear for the league at all, but I did think he could have left this out.  Too many failing teams/leagues/third world dictators have come out with confident statements about how glorious the future looks just before they die.  Better just to keep showing the improvements rather than telling.

There's a reason why they needed to go to Hearts of Oak FC in Accra, Ghana to find somebody to take this job on. York United are regularly drawing three figures actual even if they announce low four figures. The Blue Bombers have talked publicly about not being happy with Valour attendance...

The problem with doing a relatively big budget pro soccer league with air travel in a Canada only context is that even when you have a big success story like Halifax to crow about there are not that many cities that can realistically sustain a team, so it doesn't take too many malfunctioning markets elsewhere to sink a league configured in that way.

I definitely wasn't the only person pointing that out before they launched and it's a big part of why I thought it was completely wrongheaded of them not to try to find a way to factor in MLS affiliates. Wouldn't have mattered whether the Faths wanted to keep it going at this point or not if it could have been a separately branded Whitecaps affiliate with a few local players sprinkled in. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There's a reason why they needed to go to Hearts of Oak FC in Accra, Ghana to find somebody to take this job on. York United are regularly drawing three figures actual even if they announce low four figures. The Blue Bombers have talked publicly about not being happy with Valour attendance...

The problem with doing a relatively big budget pro soccer league with air travel in a Canada only context is that even when you have a big success story like Halifax to crow about there are not that many cities that can realistically sustain a team, so it doesn't take too many malfunctioning markets elsewhere to sink a league configured in that way.

I definitely wasn't the only person pointing that out before they launched and it's a big part of why I thought it was completely wrongheaded of them not to try to find a way to factor in MLS affiliates. Wouldn't have mattered whether the Faths wanted to keep it going at this point or not if it could have been a separately branded Whitecaps affiliate with a few local players sprinkled in. 

Attendance is a funny thing. For a team that is only allocated a fraction of a big stadium (not that it would be filled anyway), attendances will always be low both visually and financially. However, success would increase interest and attendance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Bombers need to pump money into Valour, but maybe if they could reach the playoffs once in a while, it could increase interest in watching the team play.

I really hope the endgame isn't an MLS style East/West conference setup. I mean, on one hand it does make sense as I dread to think how much it would cost for HFX to travel to play one of the Vancouver teams, but there has to be a better option.

Part of me is actually surprised that Atletico Madrid have been the only club to dip their toes into the CPL. Yeah, Dortmund have a team in L1O and Bayern have links with Blizzard, but Atletico are the only ones to have gone all in and opted for a CPL side.

54 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Attendance is a funny thing. For a team that is only allocated a fraction of a big stadium (not that it would be filled anyway), attendances will always be low both visually and financially. However, success would increase interest and attendance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Bombers need to pump money into Valour, but maybe if they could reach the playoffs once in a while, it could increase interest in watching the team play.

The Bombers can talk about how they not happy and Rollins can cast aspersions on WPG, but what can they expect?  Bombers dont put a lot of effort into Valour.  A fanbase isnt just going to appear out of nowhere, they need to put more $ out into the community/marketing, be engaged and ultimately more money on the field/players etc.  It seems like they are happy to run it cheap and get the 14 home games to keep IG field busy.  Which is a shame because it could be a lot more.  

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I don't think the budget and travel are so large (even relatively) that they are unrealistic.  Two reality checks that do need to be made:

1.  We need probably five non-covid years for the teams that will survive to establish themselves and develop a reliable 5000 baseline attendance.  We've had two years, non-consecutive.  So, to my mind, we are still three years from a reasonable assessment.  If in three (or so) years we still have a majority of teams bumbling around with attendance close to 3000, then perhaps the league can reassess its model.

2.  Not all the teams are going to make it.  As you point out, we don't have a huge number of markets that will ever sustain a CPL team, so some are going to have to be tried again at some point.  But it is okay if not every team is a success the first time around.  Just so long as we can keep the number at at least eight and have an upward trajectory overall.

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The Bombers can talk about how they not happy and Rollins can cast aspersions on WPG, but what can they expect?  Bombers dont put a lot of effort into Valour.  A fanbase isnt just going to appear out of nowhere, they need to put more $ out into the community/marketing, be engaged and ultimately more money on the field/players etc.  It seems like they are happy to run it cheap and get the 14 home games to keep IG field busy.  Which is a shame because it could be a lot more.  

Thanks Bison44, but I prefer to hear from people who don't live in your city and don't go to Valour games.

😛 

Well, that busts the myth that Fath was refusing offers left and right and holding Edmonton hostage

But while there were tire-kickers, no serious offer was fielded.

“We aren’t interested in running it anymore,” said Fath. “The rights of the team belong to the league. There is nothing left for us to sell.”

18 hours ago, ATM said:

I count seven pro teams, with three of those being pretty low budget (CPL, CFL, AHL). With a population of 7 million, that really isn't many. Winnipeg supports three with one-tenth the population. However, I doubt Torontonians will support anything other than a 'big' league. For whatever reason, local stuff just doesn't take-off there. Too busy celebrating everyone's 'heritage' I guess (i.e. cheering for Crawley Town or Crotone...) 

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

To find someone to take the job on that has very relatable and relevant experiences in growing the men's and women's game in the states and with the MLS at a comparable time as the CPL is moving into? 

I've no idea who was and wasn't interested and considered for the CPL job but for a tiny but growing league like this one. Noonan doesn't look like a bottom of the barrell panic hire. He also has specific experience that does narrow him into a smaller pool of candidates, whether he appears random from the outside or not.

The blue bombers also have had little interest in fully funding and promoting said CPL team, tying previous and current managers hands behind their back and having next to zero presence in the community to grow the brand.

I'm not convinced by your affiliations comment, mainly because it essentially already exists in a more long term beneficial way. Would the CPL get the CL places and respect it the concacaf landscape it is now getting, if it had development teams like whitecaps2, TFCII and Montreal? Would York have higher attendance as TFCII or when half the squad can't play against TFC in the V Cup. Would players from abroad want to come play in said league or Canadians come back to it. I don't know what magical money you think would be plowed into clubs and the league with said "affiliations" but some of the corporate sponsorship we are seeing likely wouldn't have committed to the notion of a secondary MLS farm league. As the whitecaps found when they partnered with Fresno, it's not a beneficial partnership with two ownership parties with two different agendas and needs.

It seems very much like the CPL clubs have forged working relationships and mutually beneficial partnerships to loan and develop MLS academy talent. They have done so without pidgeon holing themselves into a corner of always being a development league as it grows. The league is still growing, but on its own terms. Edmonton will be back down the line and there are clearly more teams coming. 

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

I'm not convinced by your affiliations comment, mainly because it essentially already exists in a more long term beneficial way. Would the CPL get the CL places and respect it the concacaf landscape it is now getting, if it had development teams like whitecaps2, TFCII and Montreal? Would York have higher attendance as TFCII or when half the squad can't play against TFC in the V Cup. Would players from abroad want to come play in said league or Canadians come back to it. I don't know what magical money you think would be plowed into clubs and the league with said "affiliations" but some of the corporate sponsorship we are seeing likely wouldn't have committed to the notion of a secondary MLS farm league. 

The idea behind affiliated teams is not that they would draw better than regular teams and it is certainly not to make the CPL a farm league for MLS.  The idea is that, if the CPL was having trouble keeping enough teams viable, then adding three affiliated teams gives them stability since the MLS parent teams presumably would not care if their CPL affiliates ran at a financial loss.  

I'd prefer to see the CPL succeed without this arrangement.  There are a number of reasons for which it is not ideal.  It would be better than folding the league if it came to it, however.