Intercontinental Playoffs

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I was rooting for the Ticos solely based on the optics that @Kentmade mention of in reference to rankings that effects Concacaf.

It's a good look that we have 4 teams there.

Me too. I'm trying to remember, but I think maybe last World Cup I may not have been pulling all that hard for CONCACAF teams in the World Cup, since performances in the World Cup don't seem to affect how many spots each region gets in the World Cup. But now with Canada qualifying and I'm getting a more upfront taste of what people outside of CONCACAF think of our region (i.e. it's terrible and we are going to get destroyed once we play in the World Cup, in particular against the almighty nation of "Europe") I think it has me fully back on team CONCACAF, and also for the ranking reasons you are alluding to.

Well I watched part of the Australia match, and the 2nd half today on a treadmill. 

I honestly think we're better than all 4 of those teams. 

Thing about Costa Rica, they've played quite a few high pressure, do or die matches over the last months and are achieving their aims. 

I'm not so sure they'll be easily beaten at Qatar. 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think this might be the first time the number Concacaf teams in the WC equal the number of Comnebol teams.

Well, i dont recall the last time South America only sent 4 representatives to the World Cup. Dont know if it ever happened.

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Well, i dont recall the last time South America only sent 4 representatives to the World Cup. Dont know if it ever happened.

It last happened in 2006, and actually as it turns out, there were 4 Concacaf teams in that tournament as well, though only Mexico made it out of the group stage 

By the way, i don't know what thread or section to put this this bit of news.  But they made permanent the 5 substitutions rule in international play.

https://www.fifa.com/technical/football-technology/media-releases/the-ifab-permanently-approves-five-substitute-option-in-top-level

Edited by Free kick

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It last happened in 2006, and actually as it turns out, there were 4 Concacaf teams in that tournament as well, though only Mexico made it out of the group stage 

You've got me curious about this topic. I'm looking back through the years. 2006 is the only other year where CONCACAF and CONMEBOL sent the same number of teams.

Interestingly enough, back in 1974 Haiti was the only CONCACAF representative. Africa and Oceania also had 1 each, and Asia didn't have any teams in the World Cup that year. If you go back even further it was very nearly exclusively Europe and South America that were involved. For example, 1966 in England, the only nations outside the big 2 regions were Mexico and North Korea. Earlier than that it seems to always be only 1 or 2 teams from outside UEFA/CONMEBOL.