2023 World Cup Qualifying / 2024 Olympic Qualifying

narduch

USA beat Jamaica 5-0. Mexico is losing to Haiti 1-0 late in the first half. I haven't been watching Mexico, but I never would have guessed before the tournament that they would be doing so poorly halfway through the group stage. We failed to beat them in 2 friendlies earlier this year if I am not mistaken. Loss and a tie I think?

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Unless the Mexican women can beat the US and by multiple goals, they are cooked.  I'm frankly shocked at how bad they have looked - their opponents have been so direct against them (and successful).

Mexico women are not he same as they were with Leonardo Cuellar.  I expect will see the last of Monica Vergara.

Ya, Jamaica and Haiti were always going to give them a fight but Mexico have been far worse in the final ⅓ than what I expected.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

but I never would have guessed before the tournament that they would be doing so poorly halfway through the group stage.

It's kinda 2018 all over again. A huge blow to the program.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_CONCACAF_Women's_Championship

They also got unlucky with their draw and we got super lucky with ours. Haiti and Jamaica are both better than Panama and Trinidad and Tobago.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Huge opportunity for Haiti. Win or a draw against Jamaica puts them in the World Cup, and they look absolutely capable of doing it. Even put a few decent scares into the US backline. 18 year old Melchie Dumornay in particular has looked really dangerous (can’t timestamp on mobile, starts at 2:03)

On 7/8/2022 at 2:10 PM, footballfreak said:

Huge opportunity for Haiti. Win or a draw against Jamaica puts them in the World Cup, and they look absolutely capable of doing it. Even put a few decent scares into the US backline. 18 year old Melchie Dumornay in particular has looked really dangerous (can’t timestamp on mobile, starts at 2:03)

Dumornay is getting all the buzz. Even though Haiti needs to play more as a team, they have at least a couple of young ballers.

Unlike Mexican teams that qualified for the World Cup, this team has no Maribel Dominguez. 

51 minutes ago, red card said:

Dumornay is getting all the buzz. Even though Haiti needs to play more as a team, they have at least a couple of young ballers.

Don't sleep on Haiti's Batcheba Louis who won the Division 1 Arkema's most spectacular goal of the year despite playing with a bad GPSO 92 Issy side that got relegated. 

https://youtu.be/jEdzfRF1A6I?t=70

I can't see her playing in D2 next season.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

CSA's latest update includes a statement on Priestman's hiring. They say the by-laws don't require a Board vote or discussion in hiring a national team manager which counters 2017-20 board member Leanne Nicolle criticism that the board failed in not approving the hire.

Good thing Priestman won the gold medal as knowing that you were the second choice isn't a good for team dynamics in the middle of qualifying and since some team members including Sinclair have retweeted Westhead's article. The women's well has now also been poisoned. 

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-update/

1 minute ago, red card said:

CSA's latest update includes a statement on Priestman's hiring. They say the by-laws don't require a Board vote or discussion in hiring a national team manager which counters 2017-20 board member Leanne Nicolle criticism that the board failed in not approving the hire.

Good thing Priestman won the gold medal as knowing that you were the second choice isn't a good for team dynamics in the middle of qualifying and since some team members including Sinclair have retweeted Westhead's article. The women's well has now also been poisoned. 

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-update/

We are just finding out about that well being poisoned....imagine is Westhead used his journo powers and looked into Zambrano firing and herdman hiring eh????  Imagine what actually happened there.  Oh wait, no one cared about soccer back then, but now its big news and the sexism/inequality angle makes for an excellent twist on the usual ineptitude/corruption story.  

14 hours ago, red card said:

When you're a football nation...

New hires will determine future...

I'm not sure if they should have sacked the lot but at least one or two heads needed to roll. Mexico has the talent and it is unacceptable that they have missed two WWCs in a row.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Semis today. All times ET. 

Got busy and didn't make a match thread last night. I guess I will do that late this afternoon when I get home from work.

Canada match ratings. First two were on CBC delayed. 

In comparison, the lowest rated CANMNT WCQ on linear tv was 158k for Mexico on the road. Costa Rica live audience is in line or greater than Canadian MLS team ratings in past 2-3 years.

Edited by red card

Well am surprised that CBC is not showing this game live considering they did it last Monday.  It's on tape delay on Tuesday at 1 am.  I guess streaming is the only way to watch the Final live. 

Edited by Jedi Ram
CBC updated their broadcast schedule for tape delay.