2023 World Cup Qualifying / 2024 Olympic Qualifying

narduch

7 hours ago, narduch said:

The only Canadian players playing in Canada are Maalouf & Ottey.

Haiti players playing in Canada are Meghane St-Cyr at Aigles Ahuntsic and Donia Salomon Ali at FC Laval.

Only new name for Canada is Delaney Pridham. Canada didn't come close to naming a max 60 prelim squad.

If US wins all their W matches, the players will get 146k. For winning WC19, they got 147.5k. 

US squad is also out for W and 2 friendlies. No Caterina Macario due to injury. Sam Mewis has knee injury while Abby Dahlkemper (ribs), Tierna Davidson (knee) and Lynn Williams (hip) and Dunn is unavailable after giving birth to her son last month. Pinoe on squad despite limited playing time.

Only 10 of the 23 players have experience in World Cup and Olympic qualifying. One player with her first time call up is Talor Kornieck of San Diego. All NWSL players ex OL's Horan.

They have 2 warm up matches vs Colombia.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2022/06/andonovski-names-rosters-for-june-friendlies-and-world-cup-and-olympic-qualifying

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...

@Admin, if the second match for the women against the Matildas in September is announced for Melbourne, should I speak to you about tickets, or should I just use one of the various pre-sale codes I get from Football Australia and fly the Maple Leaf amongst the home support? I doubt that I'll be able to swing Sydney for the other match.

For a team that has a hard time scoring against top 5 teams, not including Viens is a choice. Priestman said she didn't grasp the opportunity. Burns basically took Viens spot or Schmidt needs to be excommunicated.

Carle was also left out. Priestman said others were better. Likely Bianca St. Georges and/or Burns.

Stratigakis again failed to make a tourney team. Jade Rose also didn't make it but she faces the stiffest competition position wise.

From the Tokyo squad, Labbe & Viens aren't on the squad anymore. Including the alternates, McLeod & Carle are out.

All pros ex college player Burns, USL2 Riviere & Unattached FC for Proulx. Majority NWSL with 5 from WSL. 

Priestman said she wanted only 1 friendly as she wanted to make the squad decision on how they played against each other. 

If you don't have OneSoccer/fubo yet, CBC schedule is showing they will be showing T&T and Panama matches on a delayed basis. It says 2330 EDT but Rogers guide says the next day at 0030.

Third match vs Costa Rica which clinches a World Cup spot is scheduled to be streamed live by CBC. Rogers guide says it will also be shown live on CBC tv.

Olympic clinching matches aren't shown on CBC's schedule but maybe they're waiting for Canada to advance and times to be finalized.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/broadcast

19 minutes ago, RJB said:

This tournament also qualifies teams for the Gold Cup, which is embarrassingly having four invitees.  I guess that is no longer a continental championship?

The 2024 Copa America is rumoured to have Concacaf + Asian invitees

1 hour ago, Metro said:

CBC has picked up the Canada games (Cool!) BUT on a delayed basis (not so cool).

Edit:  They will be streamed live for free on CBC Gem.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/cbc-sports-concacaf-w-championship-1.6508756

Only third match is live on CBC TV & CBC Gem.

Puzzled that there is no announcement that CBC is carrying the Olympic qualifying portion (knockout stage) which would be most in line with CBC's programming since they're the Olympic rights holder. 

They're also likely to miss the World Cup qualifying moment live as it should happen when Canada wins on Friday. Third match is to largely avoid playing the US in the semis - assuming US doesn't get upset. 

13 hours ago, RJB said:

This tournament also qualifies teams for the Gold Cup, which is embarrassingly having four invitees.  I guess that is no longer a continental championship?

That's what I thought, but it's only barely true. The winner of the W Championship qualifies, and the winner of the Olympic playoff (played fall of 2023 between the 2nd and 3rd place finishers of the W Championship) qualifies. Otherwise there is a separate qualifying tournament for the Gold Cup in the fall of 2023.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:29 AM, SthMelbRed said:

@Admin, if the second match for the women against the Matildas in September is announced for Melbourne, should I speak to you about tickets, or should I just use one of the various pre-sale codes I get from Football Australia and fly the Maple Leaf amongst the home support? I doubt that I'll be able to swing Sydney for the other match.

Second match in Brisbane.

So, the W Championship is the continental tournament?  Or is the Gold Cup?  I'm confused because they seem to have an extra tournament. Or am I just looking at it through the Men's lens?

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

So, the W Championship is the continental tournament?  Or is the Gold Cup?  I'm confused because they seem to have an extra tournament. Or am I just looking at it through the Men's lens?

I guess the W Championship is closest to the Octagonal on the men's side, since it is mainly about World Cup Qualifying (and Olympic Qualifying).

W Gold Cup Qualifying looks similar to Nations League on the men's side.

And the W Gold Cup is similar to the Gold Cup on the men's side.

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Jamaica holds! 😮

This is huge. It will be very difficult for Mexico to finish top 2 now, so if we can top our group we probably get Jamaica instead of Mexico, which presumably should be easier. But if Jamaica was able to beat Mexico, maybe they aren't as bad as I think. I didn't watch the game but I just looked up the stats and it looks like the shots were about even. I don't see possession numbers.