Jump to content

2023 World Cup Qualifying / 2024 Olympic Qualifying


narduch
 Share

Recommended Posts

Notice that One Soccer is showing a bunch of matches from the Qualifying tournament. Going on right now.

Canada and US get a bye to the final tournament starting July 4

The other 6 teams are being decided 6 groups of 5. Tournament is being played now and again in April.

Edited by narduch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • narduch changed the title to 2023 World Cup Qualifying / 2024 Olympic Qualifying

There are some interesting things going on in CONCACAF:

The DR beat Grenada 9-0 but Jamaica only managed a 6-1 victory. Imagine Jamaica not making it to the W-Championship! 

Guatemala beat the U.S. Virgin Islands 9-0 and yet Costa Rica only managed a 6-0 win. Imagine Costa Rica not making it to the W-Championship!

The Panama/El Salvador group also looks close.

April has the potential to be really wild.

 

 

I would absolutely love it if the field in Monterrey this summer was very different from in 2018. Good for the growth of the women's game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_CONCACAF_Women's_Championship

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There are some interesting things going on in CONCACAF:

The DR beat Grenada 9-0 but Jamaica only managed a 6-1 victory. Imagine Jamaica not making it to the W-Championship! 

Guatemala beat the U.S. Virgin Islands 9-0 and yet Costa Rica only managed a 6-0 win. Imagine Costa Rica not making it to the W-Championship!

The Panama/El Salvador group also looks close.

April has the potential to be really wild.

 

 

I would absolutely love it if the field in Monterrey this summer was very different from in 2018. Good for the growth of the women's game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_CONCACAF_Women's_Championship

 

It looks like it will come down to the final game for Cuba and Haiti too. They are currently tied with +17 goal differences!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the non-CONCACAF WCQ news:

Asia:

- As posted by @redcard in the other thread , the AFC tournament is over.

- India, despite being the host, withdrew because too many players got COVID in their squad. Because as hosts India were in Pot 1, the Pot, which was already a joke, became SUPER weak. Taiwan were pretty much gifted 2nd place in their group.

- The Thai team was also decimated by COVID. This allowed the Philippines to grab the win against them in the Group Stage. The Philippines made it to the World Cup! Poor Thailand have to fight in the playoffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_AFC_Women's_Asian_Cup

Africa:

The 2022 Africa Women Cup of Nations will be hosted by Morocco. Qualification just finished and some of the historically stronger teams didn't make it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Africa_Women_Cup_of_Nations_qualification

- Both Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire had the misfortune of facing powerhouse Nigeria and are sadly already eliminated.

- Zimbabwe who were at Rio 2016 fell to Botswana

This is all the more sad because some teams that are likely much weaker are in the final 12, some of them partially on walkovers because their opponents didn't show up!

 

The tournament will be held in July and because 6 out of the 12 teams either make it to the World Cup or enter the playoffs, there is bound to be new blood and new faces. It should be quite interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Africa_Women_Cup_of_Nations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Haiti making a true mockery of this qualifying format.

:D

Perhaps next time CONCACAF should bring the bottom teams and have them play a preliminary round first because all these double-digit wins are a little stupid, but over 20 goals is just ridiculous and make a mockery of the format. A little shameful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Haiti making a true mockery of this qualifying format.

:D

Perhaps next time CONCACAF should bring the bottom teams and have them play a preliminary round first because all these double-digit wins are a little stupid, but over 20 goals is just ridiculous and make a mockery of the format. A little shameful.

Nicaragua's 19-0 win over Turks and Caicos is possibly crazier. Nicaragua had 12 different goal scorers in that game. Assuming one of them wasn't the goalkeeper, that would make 12 goal scorers out of a maximum of 15 different outfield players (I don't know for sure if they are allowing 5 subs or not).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Kent said:

Nicaragua's 19-0 win over Turks and Caicos is possibly crazier. Nicaragua had 12 different goal scorers in that game. Assuming one of them wasn't the goalkeeper, that would make 12 goal scorers out of a maximum of 15 different outfield players (I don't know for sure if they are allowing 5 subs or not).

5 subs is what they used, which is now the competitive standard.

8 of the starters ( not the keeper ) and 4 of the subs scored.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I feel a little bad for Nicaragua who had the best goal difference in their group but came in 3rd place, the strongest teams have advanced and in the end there no surprises.

The Pots are based on the June 2021 rankings.

So we get:

Pot 1 USA / Canada

Pot 2 Mexico / Costa Rica

Pot 3 Jamaica / Panama

Pot 4 Haiti / T & T

The draw is on Tuesday, April 19th and presumably we will get the schedule that day or the day after.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2022 at 10:59 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The draw is on Tuesday, April 19th and presumably we will get the schedule that day or the day after.

The draw is indeed Tuesday at 7pm ET.

https://www.concacaf.com/women-s-championship/news/concacaf-confirms-procedures-for-2022-concacaf-w-championship-draw/

Pots are exactly as I mentioned.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Does it really matter how the draw turns out?  It always comes down to us having to beat Mexico to get in.

And that's only for the Olympic spot. Only the tournament finalists get in.

For the World Cup the top 2 in each group make it.

Edited by narduch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...