@Honduras & @El Salvador

drvannostren2

Hey y'all,

Hopefully no issues with this being my first post, just found the site today.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and going down to San Pedro Sula and El Salvador in Jan/Feb.  I have some Aeromexico credits I need to use up, the weather in this country sucks at that point and we have a team with an actual chance to advance now.  

Has anyone here done this?  My main concern is security.  I've traveled a lot, been to plenty of places people have said were a little too dangerous for them, I speak Spanish, I'm a nice guy even when I get drunk I don't get aggressive.  I think this could be a LOT of fun.  I went to the Gold Cup LA for Canada vs. El Salvador, I think I was the only Canadian supporter there lol, met Victor Montagliani in the concourse oddly enough.  Anyway, the Salvadoran fans were nice enough, I certainly didn't fear for my life or anything like that.

San Salvador/Honduras aren't exactly the safest countries, but I'm not gonna be out at night buying drugs or anything.  I know how to generally avoid bad situations.  

Anyone else been down there as away supporters?  I know American fans travel so it can't be THAT bad, but I'd love to hear any first hand experiences that anyone might have.  Hell, I'd love to hear if anyone else is planning on going!?

I've never gone to an away game, but here is a thread for you to read up on this topic generally. I haven't been reading it as I don't intend to travel to any away games this cycle, but you might find some answers to your questions in there.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I've never gone to an away game, but here is a thread for you to read up on this topic generally. I haven't been reading it as I don't intend to travel to any away games this cycle, but you might find some answers to your questions in there.

I'll take a look thanks.

I was one of the 5 Canadians in San Pedro Sula for the 8-1 game. Everyone was really nice to us, but who knows, maybe things would have been different if Canada got a result that day.

Don't befriend Oscar the crackhead. He'll steal your iPhone.

I'm thinking of making this trip as well. Love the Central American stadium experience 🔥

4 minutes ago, Lennon said:

I was one of the 5 Canadians in San Pedro Sula for the 8-1 game. Everyone was really nice to us, but who knows, maybe things would have been different if Canada got a result that day.

I am assuming that fans in hostile countries are far more likely to be jovial and friendly to travelling Canadian fans after they have just kicked the crap out of us.  I am hoping COVID doesn’t prevent a trip to CR in March, but the one non-COVID concern I have about that trip is that we might actually go there and win.  That makes me a bit more worried about it - especially if it is a really meaningful game.  

I would not really mess with it IMHO.

There's going to be very few Canada fans to protect yourself with and these people are psychos

Considering one of them attacked one of our players at a game in CANADA I don't know if I would feel safe in the stadium. By looking at it the Honduras stadium isn't in their capital but some random City as well so make sure you're aware of that.

If I had to choose I would have obviously gone with Jamaica but that's obviously impossible. Maybe costa Rica is your best bet idk? 

Welcome to the board, Pennypacker-- er Dr. Van Nostren.

There was a small contigent of American fans in San Pedro Sula tonight. Looked like about 10 but hard to tell.

Looks like it could be done if smart about it and aware of the risks. I would always go to the washroom in pairs (or more) and would def wait for everyone else to leave the stadium before leaving. 

I'd think there's a fairly real risk in going (especially San salvador) but it would be quite an experience. 

On 9/8/2021 at 5:39 AM, drvannostren2 said:

Anyone else been down there as away supporters?  I know American fans travel so it can't be THAT bad, but I'd love to hear any first hand experiences that anyone might have.  Hell, I'd love to hear if anyone else is planning on going!?

Around 50 Americans fans were at the match in El Salvador.

Lots of local Americans in these countries as well as Canadians who would go to these games.  Would be easier if you remain neutral in your colours as opposed to playing the role of an opposing fan.  I wonder if Mexico gets away support in the Americas ?

On 9/8/2021 at 7:01 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I am assuming that fans in hostile countries are far more likely to be jovial and friendly to travelling Canadian fans after they have just kicked the crap out of us.  I am hoping COVID doesn’t prevent a trip to CR in March, but the one non-COVID concern I have about that trip is that we might actually go there and win.  That makes me a bit more worried about it - especially if it is a really meaningful game.  

I can't speak to all of these places, but I never really felt unsafe in my trip to San Jose.  I get that the soccer environment can be a bit more hostile, especially if Canada wins.  But I kinda get the sense from the people I met, they'd be more mad at their own team than Canada or the Canadian fans.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:02 PM, Canucklehead69 said:

I would not really mess with it IMHO.

There's going to be very few Canada fans to protect yourself with and these people are psychos

Considering one of them attacked one of our players at a game in CANADA I don't know if I would feel safe in the stadium. By looking at it the Honduras stadium isn't in their capital but some random City as well so make sure you're aware of that.

If I had to choose I would have obviously gone with Jamaica but that's obviously impossible. Maybe costa Rica is your best bet idk? 

Yea Honduras plays all their games in San Pedro Sula, I'm not really sure why, but I don't think it's much safer or less safer than Tegucigalpa.

1 hour ago, drvannostren2 said:

Yea Honduras plays all their games in San Pedro Sula, I'm not really sure why, but I don't think it's much safer or less safer than Tegucigalpa.

It doesn't sound too good there....from wikipedia (so take it for what its worth):

"San Pedro Sula was the "murder capital of the world"[8][11][12][13][14] until early 2016 when Caracas, Venezuela, surpassed its homicide rate.[15] Since the 2009 Honduran military coup "unemployment and underemployment rates have doubled while the number of people living in extreme poverty has skyrocketed."[8] In 2013, the city had 187 homicides per 100,000 residents.[16] This surpassed Ciudad Juarez, Mexico's rate of 148 killings per 100,000, or an average of about three homicides per day;[13] Ciudad Juarez had previously topped the list for three consecutive years.[17][18] Both cities are major operational and strategic distribution points in the illegal drug trade, particularly to the United States, and have significant gang activity.[11][17][19] In response, authorities launched Operation Lightning, saturating violence hotspots with police and soldiers.[13] Meanwhile, arms trafficking has flooded the country, with just under 70% of all firearms being illegal. 83% of homicides in the city involve firearms.[12]

According to the Los Angeles Times, "the homicide rate is stoked by the rivalry of the brutal street gangs, mostly descendants of gangs formed in Los Angeles and deported to Central America in the 1990s, including Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) and the 18th Street gang. Their ranks are fed by the disastrous economy of Honduras, and emboldened more recently by alliances with Mexican drug traffickers moving cocaine through the country."[8]

Crime and economic stress have led to the migration of large numbers of unaccompanied minors to the US border. The latest data from the CBP shows San Pedro Sula as the major source for Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC) migrating from Honduras."

13 hours ago, drvannostren2 said:

I can't speak to all of these places, but I never really felt unsafe in my trip to San Jose.  I get that the soccer environment can be a bit more hostile, especially if Canada wins.  But I kinda get the sense from the people I met, they'd be more mad at their own team than Canada or the Canadian fans.

It’s friggin hot and conditions are hard. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 11:18 AM, Ruud said:

Lots of local Americans in these countries as well as Canadians who would go to these games.  Would be easier if you remain neutral in your colours as opposed to playing the role of an opposing fan.  I wonder if Mexico gets away support in the Americas ?

To each their own. There’s no reward in life without some risk and each country / situation is different but thought I’d share my own experience…

I attended a brasileirao match with a friend a few years ago. We (my friend and I) were 2 of the 3 people in the entire stadium (save the away section) not wearing home colors. 

The third guy, who was 3 rows in front of us, let his enthusiasm very briefly get the best of him when the opposing team scored a goal. Literally it was like a one word “yes!” celebration after the visitors scored and he very quickly shut up and looked contrite. They promptly beat the shit out of him to the point of being unconscious and he was carried out in a bloody pulp. 

28 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

What lineups would you guys would roll with for these games? Who would be in your starting 11?

This is the travel discussion thread my friend. Wrong place.

21 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

To each their own.... beat the shit out of him to the point of being unconscious and he was carried out in a bloody pulp. 

😳

---

It's probably never been safer to go to Honduras. For once they don't expect to do well and the stadium will likely be at reduced capacity. Tensions won't be running high and the Hondurans will likely be more despondent than angry if Canada wins.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille