USA National Team Watch

Macksam

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I'm not so sure our starting XI is better than the United States'. They have some in-form players right now, and overall their defenders are stronger I'd probably say.

Don't hate me but they are one of my darkhorse picks for this World Cup. Pretty dark darkhorse but still :D

In terms of their Euro-based players, they have some in-form forwards like Sargent, Pefok & Wright. But the issue has been the in-form strikers called up during WCQ never lived up to their club form.

Their so-called star player Pulisic is coming off the bench regardless of the manager so far. McKennie is in and out of form - right now, he's out of form like the rest of his club. But he still heads in goals off corner kicks.

Richards, Dest, & de la Torre aren't playing or just coming off the bench. Reyna is trying to get back into shape after another injury. Only Horvath is a starting GK in Europe but his save % is near 60%.

Euro-based players selected that are in form are Scally, Musah, Adams & Aaronson. Cannon, CCV, Vines & Tillman are getting minutes but not producing above-average performances.

MLS players give them a solid back line. Everywhere else, the selected MLS players give them great depth but no difference maker performances yet as Canada's MLS players produced during WCQ.

Edited by red card

Baloguin is still holding out for England, US is pursuing him but its clear he prefers England...he'd only come to the US if it became clear he had no shot. 

With the constricted schedule in Europe guys over there who aren't playing now will start to see some time.....Dest just made a move to Italy and will see some time now...Turner did play in a Europa league match so he at least got a little burn and I imagine he plays both Sept friendlies....

the striker position is the big mystery and is totally up in the air...I think Ferreria is the number one guy at the moment and they are still trying to figure out who the other two are....my guess is Pefok probably gets one striker spot and Pepi and Sargent are fighting for that last spot...

The real question for me with the US is who is next to Zimmerman on the back line w/Miles Robinson still recovering....I think the lean is Chris Richards he'll get minutes w/Crystal Palace with the condensed schedule...getting Reyna back healthy finally will be a big help for the US on the wings with four really good options in Pulisic, Reyna, Weah and Aronson

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Saw an article somewhere shocked they called in Ricardo Pepi, who has not scored a pro goal in over a year. Now can't find it. I'm even wondering if it was in Spanish.

Think it is crazy they didn't call Pefok. Rumour was he was injured, but he played 90mins today for Union Berlin in Europa League. 

2 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Think it is crazy they didn't call Pefok. Rumour was he was injured, but he played 90mins today for Union Berlin in Europa League. 

Pefok has looked bad in his US calls for the most part. I don’t think he’s a good fit in Gregg’s system. Gregg wouldn’t know what to do with Larin either.

This was a quote from Berhalter regarding Pefok...I also agree he's not a great fit in the current style of play

“We’re pretty confident we know Jordan’s profile, we know what he can do,” Berhalter told reporters in a conference call Wednesday. “And we didn’t feel like we needed to see him in this camp to determine whether he could be on the [World Cup] roster or not.

“The decisions aren’t easy decisions, and I understand that Jordan should be in consideration – he was,” Berhalter added. “In the end we decided to go with these three strikers to evaluate them. With Jordan, he’s been putting a hell of an effort in. He’s been working hard. He’s been a handful to play against. He’s been doing a lot of things right.”

USA National Team Watch?

No, not the name of the thread. Literally want to know how I can watch the Japan game tomorrow morning, aside from some illegal stream like hesgoal (which I will resort to if I get desperate). I think I saw it was on ESPN2 - is there a stream for that I could access with a VPN?

Anyone else going to tune in? USA are our cousins to the south, and Japan is our final opponent, so should be an interesting match up.

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure if Japan could possibly hammer the US the way Pulisic is getting hammered in the media right now for publishing a book in the middle of his playing career in which he takes a shot at Teuchel for not playing him in the CL semi-final...a match Chelsea would win on their way to the title.

Yeah, that's quite the own goal from Pulisic, isn't it?