Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

On 8/22/2023 at 9:29 AM, jordan said:

Called up for Euro qualifiers vs Hungary & Lithuania.  
https://x.com/serbianfooty/status/1693925318967304281?s=46&t=KtwBDROwUH8sPUlYu2GlIA 

It does look like a preliminary squad with 31 players on it.  He may be one of the 5-8 players dropped like in recent camps.  It appears that he is also one of 15 midfielders included so I'd expect several midfielders to be dropped for the final squad.

He turned 21 only eleven days ago. This could be one of those call-ups just to permanently cap tie him, since he'd be 21 already. He got the provisional three year cap tie around this time last year.

Pretty interesting how he didn't get called up for their three windows for their friendlies/qualifiers in 2023, but as soon as he turns the magic cap tie age of 21, he gets a call-up days later.

Edited by rydermike

On 8/22/2023 at 9:29 AM, jordan said:

Called up for Euro qualifiers... 

On 8/24/2023 at 11:19 AM, Corazon said:

It does look like a preliminary squad...

Yes, that was a preliminary squad.

On 8/26/2023 at 11:47 PM, rydermike said:

He turned 21 only eleven days ago...

Exactly. And if I read the list correctly, he is the only player from that preliminary squad who actually plays in Serbia.

He made the cut from the preliminary squad and has officially been called up to the senior squad again:

https://fss.rs/selektor-dragan-stojkovic-objavio-konacan-spisak-igraca-za-utakmice-protiv-madjarske-i-litvanije/

The U21 squad is here (he isn't on it) :

https://fss.rs/u-21-selektor-djordjevic-saopstio-spisak-za-start-kvalifikacija-za-evropsko-prvenstvo/

Their plan is clear, they are going to permanently cap-tie him to Serbia.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yes, that was a preliminary squad.

Exactly. And if I read the list correctly, he is the only player from that preliminary squad who actually plays in Serbia.

He made the cut from the preliminary squad and has officially been called up to the senior squad again:

https://fss.rs/selektor-dragan-stojkovic-objavio-konacan-spisak-igraca-za-utakmice-protiv-madjarske-i-litvanije/

The U21 squad is here (he isn't on it) :

https://fss.rs/u-21-selektor-djordjevic-saopstio-spisak-za-start-kvalifikacija-za-evropsko-prvenstvo/

Their plan is clear, they are going to permanently cap-tie him to Serbia.

I quickly realized that soon after I saw that he was the only Serbian based player on there.  Good luck with that decision.  He must be betting on himself because I'd be awfully nervous to commit to a program where the other midfielders come from clubs: Fenerbahce (captain), Juventus, Getafe, Al-Hilal (via Lazio), Panathinaikos, Torino, PAOK, FC Porto, Sassuolo, Torino, Udinese, Salzburg, Bochum, Benfica etc. 

No offense to Red Star, but I'm having difficulties understanding what Stefan and his father are thinking long term with this decision.  Like I said, he must be betting on himself for big moves in the future (and maybe it does come).  I could see him in the Greek league or Austrian league (maybe Serie A where Serbians have historically been successful) but there are a lot of players playing at a much higher level than him and Serbia continuously puts out talent in top European leagues.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's off their radar in a couple years.  There's already another midfielder included in the squad same age and playing for Udinese in Serie A and another midfielder only a year older playing in Torino in Serie A.  This smells a lot like his father pushing him.  Enjoy your half a dozen caps for Serbia, not that I think he would earn that many more caps with Canada at his current level in Serbia.  But our midfield has nowhere near the depth that Serbia does.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

I quickly realized that soon after I saw that he was the only Serbian based player on there.  Good luck with that decision.  He must be betting on himself because I'd be awfully nervous to commit to a program where the other midfielders come from clubs: Fenerbahce (captain), Juventus, Getafe, Al-Hilal (via Lazio), Panathinaikos, Torino, PAOK, FC Porto, Sassuolo, Torino, Udinese, Salzburg, Bochum, Benfica etc. 

No offense to Red Star, but I'm having difficulties understanding what Stefan and his father are thinking long term with this decision.  Like I said, he must be betting on himself for big moves in the future (and maybe it does come).  I could see him in the Greek league or Austrian league (maybe Serie A where Serbians have historically been successful) but there are a lot of players playing at a much higher level than him and Serbia continuously puts out talent in top European leagues.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's off their radar in a couple years.  There's already another midfielder included in the squad same age and playing for Udinese in Serie A and another midfielder only a year older playing in Torino in Serie A.  This smells a lot like his father pushing him.  Enjoy your half a dozen caps for Serbia, not that I think he would earn that many more caps with Canada at his current level in Serbia.  But our midfield has nowhere near the depth that Serbia does.

Is he even a starter at Red Star?

It is 100% a cap-tie call up.  Although that early loss may change things as Serbia will have to win their next game.

Find the team that doesn't belong in this midfield; Fenerbahce (experienced captain), Juventus, Getafe, Al-Hilal (via Lazio), Panathinaikos, Torino, PAOK, Porto, Sassuolo, Torino, Udinese, Red Star.

Experienced midfielders from Fulham, AEK Athens and Hellas Verona were left off this Serbia squad.

My mind is boggled that they are blind to this.  Mitrovic is betting on himself and I don't think it's going to end well for him.

Edited by Corazon

42 minutes ago, Corazon said:

It is 100% a cap-tie call up.  Although that early loss may change things as Serbia will have to win their next game.

Find the team that doesn't belong in this midfield; Fenerbahce (experienced captain), Juventus, Getafe, Al-Hilal (via Lazio), Panathinaikos, Torino, PAOK, Porto, Sassuolo, Torino, Udinese, Red Star.

Experienced midfielders from Fulham, AEK Athens and Hellas Verona were left off this Serbia squad.

My mind is boggled that they are blind to this.  Mitrovic is betting on himself and I don't think it's going to end well for him.

Yeah, it kind of hurts that it's so transparent that the Serbian FA is taking away his options and he + dad are seemingly so content with it. 

14 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Yeah, it kind of hurts that it's so transparent that the Serbian FA is taking away his options and he + dad are seemingly so content with it. 

Based on his father Ivan's tweets, it seems like he's easily wooed and Serbia is using this to their advantage.

If his dream was Serbia then it's all good. But it's pretty obvious what this was. I haven't followed along his career much, nor seen many highlights, but with Serbia's depth, it won't be shocking to not see another call-up for a couple years and basically only call-ups when it's a Serbia B squad. Serbia is basically tying him based on an investment in case he massively increases his stock. Well Ivan has put all his chips into this investment now. 

Granted Canada Soccer is such a shit show right now, maybe they viewed the options as get limited call-ups with Serbia because of depth and get limited call-ups with Canada because they can't afford matches. It's a lose-lose lol

Edited by rydermike

On 9/7/2023 at 9:04 PM, Markoaleks said:

Piksi going to cap tie permanently next game 

A lock

Then SM will be on Robidas Island for a long, long time 

Mark it !

That’s me! Called it 

Ivan is “Charles in Charge” here - ego cap tie for Tata 

Zivelli Steffie but I don’t think this will end well for you - Yankov and you can have some pints in a few years to debate “should have done it different” 
I will buy that tab at Royal Meats Etobicoke 

• 3 weeks later...

Mitrovic made the original 34 man roster and has made it past the first cuts down to a 29 man roster.  He is still by far playing on the worst club of any of the remaining 15 midfielders on the roster.  It will be interesting how long he is included in the squad until the "debts" been paid off for committing to Serbia because regardless of his potential, he is far behind most of the other midfielders being called.  He is also one of two Serbian based players included (the other is a defender younger than him from Partizan.  There is also a striker younger than him from Red Bull Salzburg that was included over Luka Jovic.