2020 Voyageurs Cup Format

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

So, the first Champions league game for a Canadian team is April 6/7/8 range.  MLS training camps set to open soon, with the MLS start date set for April 17.  What I'd like to see:  A couple of friendlies between Vancouver/TFC/Forge and Monteal/TFC/Forge.  Then TFC and Forge play each other for the Voyagers Cup just before the Champions league (say, April 3 or 4).  Montreal and Vancouver can play each other after that, as a continuation of their pre-season.  Works for everyone.  Could be done in a bubble somewhere too.  But, all 4 teams and the CSA should be working on this now.

I'd throw the other CanPL teams into the mix too. Canadian MLS teams can just spend preseason in Canada.

As much as I'd like Canadian MLS teams to temporarily join CanPL for the year because of the pandemic, that's completely unlikely. But a CanPL + MLS Island Games type preseason tournament is surely possible?

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I'd throw the other CanPL teams into the mix too. Canadian MLS teams can just spend preseason in Canada.

As much as I'd like Canadian MLS teams to temporarily join CanPL for the year because of the pandemic, that's completely unlikely. But a CanPL + MLS Island Games type preseason tournament is surely possible?

I'm not opposed to it, but that would probably depend more on when CPL owners wanted to bring players in. The CPL season isn't until late May, so this seems early for that. Otherwise, I'd think you'd just start the CPL season earlier. Including Forge makes sense though, if you want to get the Voyagers Cup/Champions League spot decided.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

If Forge is serious about winning, they should have hit the pitch already. TFC is taking this VERY seriously 

They should play friendlies with York - more than one at the very least

Playing Montreal would work well too for Forge's preparation for the Canadian Final. 

52 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'm pretty sure "a lack of currently active teams in Canada for preseason games" is the common enemy. Not everything is an MLS conspiracy. 

Stuns a lot of fans in Montreal. You'd never see Barca have a friendly to help out Real Madrid for anything.

Just poking fun at lots of things did in that Montréal rebrand...not just the name "Impact"

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Oliver Platt is speculating the match might be Easter weekend. 

That would mean the winner would need to travel to Mexico right after the game basically 

That's too close to the international break unless they are playing in the USA.

They'd have to play by March 17.

When did Forge camp open?

Edited by nfitz