Former CanPL Players

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Currently 3rd tier, looking good for promotion

Superb move. I forgot he was still that young, great time to join the club.

As I posted on the Canadian owners abroad recently, it is owned by a Canadian, who is trying to take it into top flight. Sid Lowe did an article recently for the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/18/castellon-owner-bob-voulgaris-analytics-gambling-interview

Right now they are at the top of their group in 1a RFEF, which is the name of the 2 division third tier in Spain. The first of each division promotes directly, the next 4 of each go into a playoff. They are clear of the third by quite a bit and only have one close rival, Ibiza. 

https://www.marca.com/futbol/primera-rfef/clasificacion/grupo-2.html?intcmp=MENUMIGA&s_kw=clasificacion

Last year they just missed in the playoff, after falling off the league lead in the final weeks. 

Castellón was in top flight in the 90s, I recall them well, they have a nice kit that's black and white and a decent stadium, which they can get 12,000 into in third tier, more for Cup games. 

Before Villareal boomed, the biggest team in that area was Castellon, which is the provincial capital, with maybe triple the population. The stadiums are only about 10km apart, Villareal's success has ended up stealing footie fans from Castellon, part of which they should get back if they were to promote. I think the stadium is municipal, they could expand it if they were to get to La Liga.

Unfortunately, though Castellon is just 3 hours south of here, they are in the "other" group from the teams in the 1a RFEF division near me (like the Barça B team), they are in the southern division.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Billy Forbes (formerly Valour FC) and the Turks and Caicos Islands were eliminated from the World Cup Qualification yesterday.  Turks and Caicos (ranked 206) played a 2 game series vs Anguilla (ranked 209), scored were 0-0, 1-1.  Forbes scored his team's lone goal and scored in the penalty shootout but they lost the shootout 3-4.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 2:13 PM, K Edgar said:

Felix N'sa (Edmonton 2022), Tyler Attardo (Valour 2019) and Mamadou Ba (Halifax 2021 dev contract) all with Thunder Bay Chill (USL2) this year.

T Bay has recruited some talent for this season