Sign in to follow this  
narduch

Match Thread: July 1, 2019 - Valour FC v York9 FC

Match at Noon CT (1pm ET) on One Soccer.

First ever meeting between the clubs.

Both teams will be looking to create some momentum for the Fall Season.

York9 have been looking pretty good, although it has been pretty competitive. It's rare for me to be able to catch a game live (time difference). Not got my shirt on as I'm on my way home from work :).

Posted (edited)

I don't even know what to say about this team anymore. At least earlier in the season they occasionally played nicely through midfield while losing matches, now Valour look poor in every phase of the game without ever looking threatening. They play as though each game is their first time playing together. There's not a single thing to get excited about. Today's performance, considering the opponent, has probably been the worst of the season.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

^ Ultimately their chances at fielding a successful team were dealt a serious blow when their most important and experienced player (Golubar) was hurt in the third match, and probably mortally wounded with Petrasso's injuries, but you'd have expected Gale could cobble together something a bit more competitive with the remaining scraps.

Edited by jonovision

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Mitter is getting shredded. I don't understand this particular back 3 configuration.

Neither did the players. Mitter was getting hung out to dry by the left wingback, which appeared to be Arguiñarena. For the first half hour, York had the freedom of IGF on Valour's left flank.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I don't even know what to say about this team anymore. At least earlier in the season they occasionally played nicely through midfield while losing matches, now Valour look poor in every phase of the game without ever looking threatening. They play as though each game is their first time playing together. There's not a single thing to get excited about. Today's performance, considering the opponent, has probably been the worst of the season.

I couldn't agree more.  Y9 could have easily won 5-1 today.  They were very unlucky not to have scored more in the first half.  We are bad at both ends and the team looks fragile.  

Every other team is improving and Valour look worse every match.  Once we hit 5 yards outside the opposing box, we usually reverse the ball back to centre, because we have no idea what to do with it.

On a positive note, Farago played well.  Probably could have had the first.  Nice goal by Attardo.  Player of the Game goes to the Valour crowd, who continue to support this team.  

49 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I couldn't agree more.  Y9 could have easily won 5-1 today.  They were very unlucky not to have scored more in the first half.  We are bad at both ends and the team looks fragile.  

Every other team is improving and Valour look worse every match.  Once we hit 5 yards outside the opposing box, we usually reverse the ball back to centre, because we have no idea what to do with it.

On a positive note, Farago played well.  Probably could have had the first.  Nice goal by Attardo.  Player of the Game goes to the Valour crowd, who continue to support this team.  

The only positive I see coming out of the team right now is the fact that local players are getting an opportunity to play pro and have impressed me (Ohio/Attardo). 

My MOTM: Tyler Attardo.

Scored a nice goal and had another shot that could have equalized.

Honourable mentions to Ohin and Beland-Goyette.

Some of the negativity on here is depressing. More depressing than the losses themselves (six in a row and counting).

The reality is that today's match was an enjoyable spectacle. Yes, York deserved to win based on quality of chances created but on another day it certainly could have gone the other way.

Valour are defending very poorly as a team: that needs to be sorted and there is no reason to believe it won't be. And at least we have started creating some good scoring chances, although finishing remains a problem.

We have a very decent squad of footballers and once Galey ups his game and gets them playing to their potential as a team, Valour will be very competitive.

Unlike some apparently, I'm not slitting my wrists after only twelve matches.

Showed a little grit towards the end there I thought.  They need to, it will go far. 

All in all not that bad I thought, might change my mind after rewatching the thing, but plenty of good to go with the bad. 

Outstanding crowd.  Don't know how it showed on the broadcast but whole north end of the stand was into it there at times.  And even if they weren't picking up on the lead from 144 they were involved vocally.  Wonderful stuff. 

P.S. May owe Farago an apology on the 2nd goal.  Either way showed he's a shot stopper today that's for sure.