Match Thread: June 19, 2019 - York9 FC v FC Edmonton

Match is at 7pm ET on One Soccer.

A quirk in the schedule has these teams facing off for the 3rd straight Wednesday. This time it will be in the League.

A lower table battle with both teams sitting on only 1 win. Both teams will be looking to gain some momentum leading into the Summer/Fall season.

Edited by narduch

10 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Well the better option would be to look for a new place to play. Its clear the support just i'snt in that region. Best to face reality then to keep trying to force something that isnt there. There doesn't seem to be any base to build on.

Think a good indicator re attendance will be this Saturday's match, good late afternoon start time and good sunny warm weather in the forecast. No excuses for that one.

Yeah, stream is dead. I wish there was a live score on canpl.ca at least. Or if there was something on twitter, but I don't see anything since the stream died from CPL's twitter or York 9's.

OK, I just found FC Edmonton's twitter has said it ended 0-0. York 9 looked like the better team from the parts of the game I watched (kid's bedtime in the middle of the game) but Edmonton had their chances too. It's too bad York 9 couldn't get the win. It would have put us in a tie in 3rd place!

Just now, CDNFootballer said:

Think a good indicator re attendance will be this Saturday's match, good late afternoon start time and good sunny warm weather in the forecast. No excuses for that one.

One could argue that a good indicator would be when it's not the absolute best case scenario. I hope there will be a good crowd though. I still haven't been able to get to a home game yet, but I seem to have the green light for the Impact game. Really looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Holy smokes just seen a picture of the main stand. Can’t be more then 200 people in attendance. York has to do something about this. Rich owners pay for some marketing.

Wasn’t a great turnout, but definitely more than 200.

12 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

2500 was announced attendance from the CPL site.

Wait for it... someone is going to have to say the obligatory ‘it didn’t look like 2500’... ‘the club is doomed!’ in 3... 2... 1....

I seen pics from the main stand and the supporters area. I would say 200-300 seems about right. Is not a matter of the 'club being doomed' its a matter of just being realistic. We should accept that maybe 'York' and professional soccer on this level may not be a good fit at this juncture of time.

Maybe there will be a sudden outpouring of support from the community however even looking at the supporters section there may have been 30 people in it? The community just hasn't gotten behind the team. I don't think its unrealistic or negative in any way that the club may be wise to weight its options in looking for an alternative place to play if things don't remarkably turn around in the coming months.

There just doesn't even really seem to be a base to build on though is the problem.

York has horrible marketing. I’m not convinced that a team can’t work in that location until the club actually puts in some real work. 

And yeah sure they “sold” 2500 tickets, but a part of the fun in live games is the atmosphere. And 2-300 people ain’t going to cut it. 

5 minutes ago, Reign said:

York has horrible marketing. I’m not convinced that a team can’t work in that location until the club actually puts in some real work. 

And yeah sure they “sold” 2500 tickets, but a part of the fun in live games is the atmosphere. And 2-300 people ain’t going to cut it.

Its horrible optics to potential fans at home when they tune in to a game (or watch hilites on TV or wherever) and they see the game being played in front of tiny crowd, regardless if they sold 10,000 tickets or not.

1 minute ago, Kwar said:

Its horrible optics to potential fans at home when they tune in to a game (or watch hilites on TV or wherever) and they see the game being played in front of tiny crowd, regardless if they sold 10,000 tickets or not.

Yup. I was honestly embarrassed for the league when they had the York 9 games on CBC.

1 minute ago, Reign said:

Yup. I was honestly embarrassed for the league when they had the York 9 games on CBC.

Exactly.  For instance if I had told friends or co-workers that they should check out Canadas new Premier League, and they had tuned in last Saturday, I probably would not have converted any of them into followers of the league. 

5 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I seen pics from the main stand and the supporters area. I would say 200-300 seems about right. Is not a matter of the 'club being doomed' its a matter of just being realistic. We should accept that maybe 'York' and professional soccer on this level may not be a good fit at this juncture of time....

At the very least the contrasting fortunes of Halifax and Y9 should guide future expansion decisions. The main emphasis in Quebec should probably be on Quebec City rather than Laval, there are more reasons to be upbeat about Saskatoon rather than Surrey at the moment out west, other outer GTA markets like Durham and Mississauga should probably be asked to demonstrate the interest is genuinely there with a season ticket deposit drive, etc.

It felt about 300-400 at the game. Midweek games are going to be horrific because of the corporate/youth club season base, but it's still very worrying when you compare it to the 6 other clubs.

The 2,500 is clearly the season base. I hope we see a similar crowd this Saturday to last Saturday. I really hope Greenpark significantly adds to its staff and marketing budget asap. Otherwise, more drastic actions will have to be considered by the ownership or the league.