TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

With auro in the back maybe it's a good idea to have two defensive mids?

I don't think it's necessary, personally. Bradley is good enough to hold down the fort on his own. Osorio advanced with (hopefully) Pozuelo would give the Spaniard someone to combine with. They'll both thrive. 

If not Pozuelo, then Delgado or Chapman. Either way, Toronto are a better team with two midfielders supporting the attack. A lot of defensive mids (like Teibert) need to play in a dual pivot. When you have a player like Bradley (or Piette) who can play that role solo, you may as well take advantage of it. The more midfielders you can free up to advance, the better. 

That's my opinion, anyway.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jozy Altidore on future with Toronto FC: "I want to stay in Toronto"

“I still have five, six, seven great years ahead of me,” said the US international, who is in the final stages of recovery from an ankle problem. “I haven’t had a muscle injury since 2016 and I feel good about that. It’s been three years now and all I’ve had is a broken foot and the ligament tear in the ankle.

“But surgery fixed those and I’m back to 100 percent fit. And I showed last year that I can still score goals when I’m on the field. So for me, there’s no [injury] worries at all and the club knows my situation. They know how fit I am and what the expectation is with that.”

“I want to stay in Toronto. For me and my family, Toronto is home, Toronto is everything,” Altidore said. “But if the direction is something else, it’s no problem. Like I said, it would be, ‘Thank you very much for the time’ and in the summertime I’ll have to look for a new team.

“I get that there is a business side and I’ve cooperated on that end as well. But I can’t do any more than say I want to be here and try to do all the right things. But I hope in the end that I’m a Toronto player for the rest of my career.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/11/jozy-altidore-future-toronto-fc-i-want-stay-toronto

10 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Jozy Altidore on future with Toronto FC: "I want to stay in Toronto"

“I still have five, six, seven great years ahead of me,” said the US international, who is in the final stages of recovery from an ankle problem. “I haven’t had a muscle injury since 2016 and I feel good about that. It’s been three years now and all I’ve had is a broken foot and the ligament tear in the ankle.

“But surgery fixed those and I’m back to 100 percent fit. And I showed last year that I can still score goals when I’m on the field. So for me, there’s no [injury] worries at all and the club knows my situation. They know how fit I am and what the expectation is with that.”

“I want to stay in Toronto. For me and my family, Toronto is home, Toronto is everything,” Altidore said

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/11/jozy-altidore-future-toronto-fc-i-want-stay-toronto

I appreciate his sentiment about playing in Canada but, as a top level striker, and as a physical player with injury concerns, I'd be very surprised if he has more than five, six, seven months of DP-worthy soccer in him.

22 minutes ago, nolando said:

I appreciate his sentiment about playing in Canada but, as a top level striker, and as a physical player with injury concerns, I'd be very surprised if he has more than five, six, seven months of DP-worthy soccer in him.

Jeez, he's only 29!

Pozuelo speaks:

"After the public statements of Racing Genk yesterday, 11 February, I feel obliged to make this statement with regard to my contractual situation. To maintain my professional reputation, honor and public image. That's why I want fans of Racing Genk to know how everything works. It is absolutely untrue that in January I reached an agreement with Genk stating that I would stay with the club until June 14, 2019. I encourage Genk to make the contract or agreement signed by me and the club public. I am sure they will not do that because I have never signed such a contract or agreement. It is true that I have stated my intention to stay with Genk. But it has to be said that I was pressured by the club to do that. The only and final document signed between me and Genk is the contract dated 1 August 2017 in which Genk agreed to accept a transfer from a 'third club' with the condition that they would receive a bid of 8 million euros net compensation for that transfer. " "Genk has recently received several offers that just did not meet that condition and which I therefore refused. But in the past few days a bid has been received that meets that condition. Moreover - if I'm honest - the bid also meets my personal expectations. That is why I made it clear to Genk that I want to be transferred to that 'third club' (Toronto, ed.) And I have asked the club to accept the offer as agreed by all parties in my current contract. " I am convinced that Genk's supporters - which I have a lot of respect for - agree that my performance was always 'outstanding'. I have always shown commitment and professionalism, made efforts. I do not consider the attitude of the club and the position they occupy to be fair. Just because it was clearly agreed that Genk was obliged to accept an offer, should it come. I believe that Genk is breaking a contract because they refuse this transfer and because they mention a so-called contract that I never signed. This situation affects my physical and mental integrity. " "I want Genk to live up to my contract so as not to cause any further damage to my reputation and image. And I want to make it clear that - if Genk continues to violate my contract - I have no other option than to take legal action to defend my rights. I find it particularly unfortunate that I am forced to do so by Genk despite all the contributions I have made for the club in the past three seasons. However, I will remain professional and continue to offer my services with the same effort and effort as before. Until the last day that I play for Genk. As I always did - it is also what the supporters of Genk deserve. "

https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/belgisch-voetbal/racing-genk/alejandro-pozuelo-spreekt-voor-het-eerst-genk-heeft-me-onder-druk-gezet-ik-wil-vertrekken~a7f489d1/?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.voetbalprimeur.be%2Fnieuws%2F865259%2Fpozuelo-schreeuwt-het-uit-en-zet-genk-onder-druk-ik-wil-vertrekken-.html%3Futm_source%3Ddlvr.it%26utm_medium%3Dtwitter

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Is Hanni that much worse than pozuelo? If you can get hanni for a tam deal then sign a DP winger/striker that might be a better option? 

The Hanni talk seems to have cooled down. Perhaps it wasn't possible so they moved on to Pozuelo.

Unlike Hanni, we wouldn't lose Pozuelo during international break. Like Vazquez, he's probably not getting called up to Spain. Ever.

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

2-0 final Boyd with the 2nd goal in the 50th minute. 

Here is hoping this won't be the only Toronto team to beat Colorado tonight 

Deleon has played well in the preseason. 

If Pozuelo isn’t announced by the end of the week I think TFC will move on. 

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have heard the Menendez deal is done, but on hold because Toronto and Independente haven't agreed on who pays the transfer tax.

So it's not done then haha

I don't think TFC needs him or pozuelo to beat this team from Panama. They will freeze to death when they play here in the snow. 

They will need those guys for round two. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

So it's not done then haha

I don't think TFC needs him or pozuelo to beat this team from Panama. They will freeze to death when they play here in the snow. 

They will need those guys for round two. 

Meant to say the loan was agreed, not done technically until all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Enjoyable event at the top of the CN Tower tonight with the unveiling of the new Toronto FC shirt. GM Ali Curtis in my interview was clear in his words about looking to achieve longterm success at the club. I can also report the acquisition of Jonathan Menendez is done. #tfclive

from KJs twitter

Hopefully we see him play next week. 

Bono

Auro ciman mavinga morrow

----------Fraser Bradley---------

DeLeon Osorio Menendez

-------------boyd-----------

That should easily handle the team from Panama. Maybe rest ciman if he's hurt at all. 

Just wondering now what will be happening with Richie Laryea. They have played him a lot in pre-season and he seemed to do well against the Galaxy.

Also, noticed that we haven't heard much from Moor & Zavaleta in the pre-season, and Ciman didn't play against Colorado as it was Mavinga and Morrow as the CB pairing. Are we already at another CB crisis? They still have to replace VDW and also sign a back- up (or third) keeper along with a third DP.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Just wondering now what will be happening with Richie Laryea. They have played him a lot in pre-season and he seemed to do well against the Galaxy.

Also, noticed that we haven't heard much from Moor & Zavaleta in the pre-season, and Ciman didn't play against Colorado as it was Mavinga and Morrow as the CB pairing. Are we already at another CB crisis? They still have to replace VDW and also sign a back- up (or third) keeper along with a third DP.

I find it weird that Zavaleta, moor and Dunn didn't play in the last split squad game. 

6 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I find it weird that Zavaleta, moor and Dunn didn't play in the last split squad game. 

Yes, I I haven't seen any indication that any of them are actually injured - this article talks about some injuries but doesn't mention them:

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-returns-from-california-camp-still-looking-to-fill-big-holes-1.1257138

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Probably sign him in the next weeks or he would have been gone. 

Re Pozuelo:

I understand Genk wants to keep him now they have a real shot at winning the league. But if he has a clause in his contract and TFC is willing to pay it, they have no chance whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

I understand Genk wants to keep him now they have a real shot at winning the league. But if he has a clause in his contract and TFC is willing to pay it, they have no chance whatsoever. 

My original reading of that post from Pozuelo was that it was a verbal agreement, rather than an official buyout clause. Having re-read it though, it is much less clear. It will be interesting to see what happens next. 

The way I read it, he has a clause in his contract. But Genk has asked him for a new statement, in which he had to promise that he'd stay until the summer. The conflict is about hat second statement (go which Genk says it's a binding contract). Not really sure but that is my understanding. I think he's coming. 

31 minutes ago, shamrock said:

The way I read it, he has a clause in his contract. But Genk has asked him for a new statement, in which he had to promise that he'd stay until the summer. The conflict is about hat second statement (go which Genk says it's a binding contract). Not really sure but that is my understanding. I think he's coming. 

That makes sense about what the new “statement” which he felt forced into making is. If it is a signed document it could be considered binding, but you would assume he would have had to have been given some extra benefits for signing. If not, it sounds a bit like the Larin  situation regarding the Club option to extend his contract with Orlando/MLS. 

Archived