TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I am getting tired of this Pozuelo Saga, there must be a similar player in Brazil or Argentina they could sign without all this hassle. 

Our Media sucks they never break stories and now Kristan Jack has deleted the team confirming Menendez is coming to TFC. 

If you're not too tired, tune into the Genk / Slavia Prague Europa league game. Skip to the 55th minute if you have DAZN, he comes on as a substitute.

Only watched a few minutes, just to see what he's all about. Took him less than 1 minute to unlock the defense.

I can see why Toronto are fighting for this player. He has quality, for sure.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

If you're not too tired, tune into the Genk / Slavia Prague Europa league game. Skip to the 55th minute if you have DAZN, he comes on as a substitute.

Only watched a few minutes, just to see what he's all about. Took him less than 1 minute to unlock the defense.

I can see why Toronto are fighting for this player. He has quality, for sure.

I saw the highlights he's obviously good.

Jonathan Menéndez will finally stay at Independiente, after a talk with Ariel Holan and when his move to Toronto was agreed . The coach asked him to remain on the roster and the 24-year-old forward accepted the proposal of the technical director. 

The footballer had managed the interruption of the loan in Al Rayyan, Qatar, where he played on loan during the second half of 2018 (the charge was 500 thousand dollars and the purchase option was 3,500,000 more). The decision was due to its lack of continuity. 

The leaders of Independiente had everything agreed to cede it again, although in this opportunity to Major League Soccer. In Toronto they are still not aware that the pass will not finally be made.

Jonathan Menéndez will finally stay at Independiente, after a talk with Ariel Holan and when his move to Toronto was agreed . The coach asked him to remain on the roster and the 24-year-old forward accepted the proposal of the technical director. 

The footballer had managed the interruption of the loan in Al Rayyan, Qatar, where he played on loan during the second half of 2018 (the charge was 500 thousand dollars and the purchase option was 3,500,000 more). The decision was due to its lack of continuity. 

The leaders of Independiente had everything agreed to cede it again, although in this opportunity to Major League Soccer. In Toronto they are still not aware that the pass will not finally be made.

Source: 
https://www.tycsports.com/nota/superliga-2019/2019/02/14/menendez-finalmente-se-quedara-en-independiente.html

well that sucks. 

Orlando close to landing Nani. I don't believe there is a transfer fee. He scored 7 goals in 18 games for Sporting this season and has a ton of assists. He is still just 32 years old.

This as a missed opportunity for Toronto. There is no guarantee he'd even be interesting, but it's hard to imagine Orlando was a more desirable club to play for. Especially with the Toronto Portuguese community...

I can't help but question the strategy of Toronto in this transfer window. I appreciate and understand the need for long term vision, but as a fan it is hard to have faith when everyone else is making moves and we are standing still.

Furthermore, I get the need to get younger and spend wiser, and I really like what I see from Pozuelo, but I don't know, is a $10M transfer fee + $3M/yr for 4 yrs (example) for him better than Nani on a free for $5M/yr for 4 years?

He's 32 already, but it's still freaking Nani! He is still putting up numbers for a big club. He's always been very athletic (unlike giovinco), but technically is very good, so even though his slow down will likely be minor, he has the technical ability to adjust. 

Anyways, just some thoughts from a frustrated fan.

All of that said, I actually feel decent about CCL. I have completely lowered my expectations mind you, but on the bright side, Bradley, Delgado, Osorio, Chapman, Morrow, Auro, Mavinga and Moor, Bono and Zavaleta are still around. We are not exactly starting from scratch. The group has experience. Jozy will be back shortly, maybe even for the second leg. Ciman has experience in the tournament, DeLeon and Boyd are decent recruits. I think it'll be alright and the team could make a run. Hardly favrouites, but with the experience, I wouldn't be afraid of Toluca or KC in the QF, if we get past Independente. It's probably a coin flip against those teams right now. And, maybe the underdog role is what this team needs?

Nani as a DP at 32 years old? TFC are trying to get younger not older. 

I would give up on the champions league if I were you. 

I think they can find a Menendez replacement fairly easily and I predict they wait for Pozuelo or come to come sort of agreement that he would join the club after they lock up a spot in the Champions League. 

They need to do something with Jozy now either extend him or sell/trade him. You dont want to lose him for nothing when he is able to sign with a new team in the summer. 

I just dont get how they haven’t brought in anyone on the 2-3 TAM contracts they have available. 

Also there is a rumour the LA Galaxy want to sign Giancarlo González and have to trade with TFC for the number 1 allocation spot. I wonder if they would trade Alessandrini for the spot seeing they have 4 DPS at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

All of that said, I actually feel decent about CCL. I have completely lowered my expectations mind you, but on the bright side, Bradley, Delgado, Osorio, Chapman, Morrow, Auro, Mavinga and Moor, Bono and Zavaleta are still around. We are not exactly starting from scratch. The group has experience. Jozy will be back shortly, maybe even for the second leg. Ciman has experience in the tournament, DeLeon and Boyd are decent recruits. I think it'll be alright and the team could make a run. Hardly favrouites, but with the experience, I wouldn't be afraid of Toluca or KC in the QF, if we get past Independente. It's probably a coin flip against those teams right now. And, maybe the underdog role is what this team needs?

I'm not too optimistic right now but that being said, I don't think we're totally screwed. Independente is a team we can beat with a weak lineup, not saying it's easy (due to the whole CONCACAF thing) but it's the weakest team we'll play.

As a "positive", I'm looking at game reports and we nearly went through the whole competition without Vazquez. He played the Colorado games, played 15 minutes TOTAL in the two legs against Tigres, and was injured against America and Guadalajara.

We're pretty much just missing Giovinco but I don't feel too confident without some kind of new TAM/DP before we meet the Mexican teams.

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Nani as a DP at 32 years old? TFC are trying to get younger not older. 

I would give up on the champions league if I were you. 

I think they can find a Menendez replacement fairly easily and I predict they wait for Pozuelo or come to come sort of agreement that he would join the club after they lock up a spot in the Champions League. 

They need to do something with Jozy now either extend him or sell/trade him. You dont want to lose him for nothing when he is able to sign with a new team in the summer. 

I just dont get how they haven’t brought in anyone on the 2-3 TAM contracts they have available. 

Also there is a rumour the LA Galaxy want to sign Giancarlo González and have to trade with TFC for the number 1 allocation spot. I wonder if they would trade Alessandrini for the spot seeing they have 4 DPS at the moment. 

The problem is the Alessandrini is a DP and we only have one spot, so that would mean no Pozuelo, but it could work if TFC buy down his contract using all the TAM they have.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

The problem is the Alessandrini is a DP and we only have one spot, so that would mean no Pozuelo, but it could work if TFC buy down his contract using all the TAM they have.

Alessandrini can be a DP. Then let Jozy go in the summer window and bring in pozuelo. Curtis is meeting with Genk officials in NY tomorrow apparently. 

Moor has a minor hamstring injury... Maybe they should hang onto vdw. 

38 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Alessandrini can be a DP. Then let Jozy go in the summer window and bring in pozuelo. Curtis is meeting with Genk officials in NY tomorrow apparently. 

Moor has a minor hamstring injury... Maybe they should hang onto vdw. 

Kinda holding out hope vdw and vanney can squash that beef. He's a valuable player. People make mistakes.

Yeah, I wouldn't want alessandrini if I had to give up jozy, no way. I'd take him on a tam though.

Yes, meeting tomorrow with the MLS brass and the Genk TD. I think the deal gets done. You don't fly across the Atlantic if there is no chance of a deal. You can do that from home. Both parties are in NY to do business.

I'm thinking TFC will either pay a premium to get him right away, or he comes in May for less money, or something in between. Either way though, I think there's still hope it gets done.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Kinda holding out hope vdw and vanney can squash that beef. He's a valuable player. People make mistakes.

Yeah, I wouldn't want alessandrini if I had to give up jozy, no way. I'd take him on a tam though.

Yes, meeting tomorrow with the MLS brass and the Genk TD. I think the deal gets done. You don't fly across the Atlantic if there is no chance of a deal. You can do that from home. Both parties are in NY to do business.

I'm thinking TFC will either pay a premium to get him right away, or he comes in May for less money, or something in between. Either way though, I think there's still hope it gets done.

If Jozy played close to every game but he doesn’t so Alessandrini is probably more valuable at this point. But if they do grab Pozuelo TFC needs a finisher like Jozy so it would make sense to keep him. I just worry about his durability, 

5 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

If Jozy played close to every game but he doesn’t so Alessandrini is probably more valuable at this point. But if they do grab Pozuelo TFC needs a finisher like Jozy so it would make sense to keep him. I just worry about his durability, 

Me too, but on the bright side, he has finally had bone fragments removed from his foot after playing on it for two years. So, that should improve his durability in the short and (hopefully) medium term.

However, in the long term, he's probably going to always have issues. He's a big boy and his muscular issues occur because of his weight. Just comes with the terrirory. The body seeks readjustments to deal with the stress. First it's the knee, then the hamstring, then the ankle, then the bone fragments in the foot. It's all related.

When he's healthy, he's fantastic though. 

Obviously we don't have a crystal ball, but I can see him having a healthy 2019. After that, it's anyone's guess though. I say we get the most out of hin while we can. He's probably got a good season or two left in him. After that, it may be downhill quickly. That's when I would move on (or resign him on GAM).

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

Obviously we don't have a crystal ball, but I can see him having a healthy 2019. After that, it's anyone's guess though.

I hope your prediction rings true because he is the only proven MLS level goal scorer we have.  Not sure Osorio will score at the level of last year and if he proves capable other teams will be able to key on him more with no Giovinco to worry about.  Don’t know enough about Boyd.  Hope Hamilton can prove people wrong. But if Jozy isn’t healthy we are doomed to be in a lot of 1-0 games. Let’s hope Ciman and Mavinga can play a large majority of the games so we come out on the right side of that score.

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

I hope your prediction rings true because he is the only proven MLS level goal scorer we have.  Not sure Osorio will score at the level of last year and if he proves capyteams will be able to key on him more with no Giovinco to worry about.  Don’t know enough about Boyd.  Hope Hamilton can prove people wrong. But if Jozy isn’t healthy we are doomed to be in a lot of 1-0 games. Let’s hope Ciman and Mavinga can play a large majority of the games so we come out on the right side of that score.

Ciman is better at setting up goals than stopping them being scored against. If you do not have a good offence and finishers, he will be a poor CB for you. Not a solid defensive CB at all. He makes some nice defensive plays at times but half the time is out of position, ie. he is spectacular but not solid or consistent.

Never a huge Ciman fan but he was on the MLS11 previously and reporters were saying he was at that level when he left for France.  Ciman healthy and playing regularly will be way better than Zavaleta or Hagglund or Bradley at CB. Mavinga and Vasquez were I think our most impactful injuries last year and in spite of all the bs with losing our offence and targeting guys we can’t sign easily, we should still be more competitive with a healthy back 3 with Moor being able to play some role.  Still need to sign some firepower.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:21 AM, Mikmacdo said:

I am getting tired of this Pozuelo Saga, there must be a similar player in Brazil or Argentina they could sign without all this hassle. 

Our Media sucks they never break stories and now Kristan Jack has deleted the team confirming Menendez is coming to TFC. 

Well dont get so excited at every strange rumor or tweet.  Most of its baloney and trying to sign guys after the window has closed was never going to be an easy task.  If there was any master plan it left with BEZ, and I wouldnt expect the new GM to jump in with 2 feet and make the most important signing in years based on a stroll around the facilities and some coffee with Vanney.  Go with what we have, selfishly if Hamilton and the rest of the CDN contingent (maybe even Lareya) get more minutes until well thought out reinforcements arrive in the summer, so be it.  I agree with Club linesman, having some solid DEFENSE to start the year might be able to compensate for the shortcomings up front.  

On 2/15/2019 at 6:19 PM, Obinna said:

is a DP and we only have one spot, so that would mean no Pozuelo, but it could work if TFC buy down his contract using all the TAM they have.

Download theHet Nieuwsbladapp forFREE - in Google Play
VIEW

New episode in soap about Pozuelo: not on training, Toronto is coming to Genk

Today at 02:00
adbe4690-33c6-11e9-94bc-eabeb13beae1_web

PHOTO: BELGA

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

After a meeting with Genk's technical director Dimitri de Condé in New York did not lead to a breakthrough, a delegation from Toronto went to Genk to find a compromise.

Alejandro Pozuelo is still planning for the Canadians A. At Genk they have made it clear that a transfer in March, after the end of the regular competition, is unthinkable. But the Limburgers are now also pressing for a quick solution.

Pozuelo himself was missing at the Genk practice field yesterday. The reason was a bruise at the foot, which he had left up to a duel in the top match at Club Brugge. The Spaniard received extensive care and should normally be back on the practice field today.

Listing to the KJ and Caldwell podcast right now. I am absolutely fuming  because they are so spot on.

Both men are in agreement here. Firstly, Vanney walked into this game with tactical arrogance, or tactical stubburnece. Whatever you want to call it, doesn't matter, but the point is he put square pegs in round holes.

If you insist on playing 4-3-3, you need elite wingers, but Dorsey isn't elite and Morrow isn't a winger. Vanney went to Man City 3 times to watch the team. He wants the team to play in that image, but Sane and Sterling are elite. That's the difference.

And it's clear Vanney approached the game with the attitude that this is how 2019 TFC will play, so this is the formation tonight, even if we don't have the players yet, because we must learn this style. But as we know, you need results and you need to be difficult to beat and TFC were none of that.

Anyways, absolutely shambolic.

Well at least if this is over quickly, they can get on to the regular season and making the playoffs.  Its too bad management got caught napping because a moderately successful run in CCL would help some of our CDN get valuable international experience they could use when with CMNT.  

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Listing to the KJ and Caldwell podcast right now. I am absolutely fuming  because they are so spot on.

Both men are in agreement here. Firstly, Vanney walked into this game with tactical arrogance, or tactical stubburnece. Whatever you want to call it, doesn't matter, but the point is he put square pegs in round holes.

If you insist on playing 4-3-3, you need elite wingers, but Dorsey isn't elite and Morrow isn't a winger. Vanney went to Man City 3 times to watch the team. He wants the team to play in that image, but Sane and Sterling are elite. That's the difference.

And it's clear Vanney approached the game with the attitude that this is how 2019 TFC will play, so this is the formation tonight, even if we don't have the players yet, because we must learn this style. But as we know, you need results and you need to be difficult to beat and TFC were none of that.

Anyways, absolutely shambolic.

I just listened to this (or at least the TFC portion of it). It's quite interesting in that they both seem to put the blame 100% on Vanney for last night and you don't  hear that as much in the media (I guess because its a podcast they maybe felt a little bit freed up to be more honest or forthright).

But what they say feeds into what I was posting about in the CCL thread, that you really get the feeling that there's some directive on high to de-prioritize these matches, probably because of the alleged toll that it took on the team in MLS last season. The insistence on playing 4-3-3 despite not having the personnel for it strikes me as someone telling Vanney "We're going to judge you on how you do in the regular season and playoffs, not the CCL, so prioritize that" - hence he is using these games to get the team used to playing in a 4-3-3 because that's what he wants to do in the regular season and so use these games as prep for that purpose rather than all-out "win at all costs" mentality that they had last year for this tourney. That might also explain the use of 3rd stringers/TFC2 players ahead of the 2nd stringers who are more of a known quantity - ie. let's try the teenagers out and see what they can do. Not exactly "throw the game" (I don't think they knew much about this time or expected to lose 4-0) but more of a " if we win great, but top priority is prep for the season".

I could be wrong of course, but that's the impression they give and nothing that KJ and Caldwell said here contradicts that, only supports it - my theory is what perhaps helps to explain the tactical arrogance/stubborness (as they call it).

Nice to hear the voice of Sean Keay by the way, who used to post on this forum years back.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I just listened to this (or at least the TFC portion of it). It's quite interesting in that they both seem to put the blame 100% on Vanney for last night and you don't  hear that as much in the media (I guess because its a podcast they maybe felt a little bit freed up to be more honest or forthright).

But what they say feeds into what I was posting about in the CCL thread, that you really get the feeling that there's some directive on high to de-prioritize these matches, probably because of the alleged toll that it took on the team in MLS last season. The insistence on playing 4-3-3 despite not having the personnel for it strikes me as someone telling Vanney "We're going to judge you on how you do in the regular season and playoffs, not the CCL, so prioritize that" - hence he is using these games to get the team used to playing in a 4-3-3 because that's what he wants to do in the regular season and so use these games as prep for that purpose rather than all-out "win at all costs" mentality that they had last year for this tourney. That might also explain the use of 3rd stringers/TFC2 players ahead of the 2nd stringers who are more of a known quantity - ie. let's try the teenagers out and see what they can do. Not exactly "throw the game" (I don't think they knew much about this time or expected to lose 4-0) but more of a " if we win great, but top priority is prep for the season".

I could be wrong of course, but that's the impression they give and nothing that KJ and Caldwell said here contradicts that, only supports it - my theory is what perhaps helps to explain the tactical arrogance/stubborness (as they call it).

Nice to hear the voice of Sean Keay by the way, who used to post on this forum years back.

I believe you are absolutely correct.

Archived