Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loosing Waston would be  a huge issue for an already shaky defense. My thought was that a new coach with improved tactics and motivational style could turn the bulk of the players on the team into a good competitive side. Almost every player has shown that he can perform, just not consistently. If we loose Waston, then motivation will not do the trick. We will need a rebuild.

Couldn't happen soon enough for me. Too late for others to salvage their allegiance to this stale and and somewhat sinking ship.

Not completely relevant to this particular convo but he's the first Canadian manager at the club since Dale Mitchell, I believe. I love his football philosophy and his winning track record, nevermind his nationality ( which certainly doesn't hurt).

This certainly renews my interest in the Caps.

I only hear good things about MDS which is encouraging.

While he is inexperienced in comparison to other choices he is young and hungry with vision. Plus being Canadian is a nice bonus. I'd rather that than a more experienced but mediocre coach that would likely just be going through the motions. 

The F.O. at Vancouver won't shell out for a higher quality choice not least because the consequence would be getting subsequently called out for their ineptitude by said coach. 

With the davies money available for the squad and infrastructure of the club it should be an exciting off season either way. 

I believe the Caps have been talking to MDS, but has anyone heard anything more than that?  I love the idea of bringing him to Vancouver, and the timing is perfect. Sad to see Waston go, but it seems that there'd be little anyone could do to win him back anyways.

But, yes, Waston and Reyna and Davies were, for different stretches of the season, the top three players all year.  If I had to give one guy player of the year for the Caps, it would be Waston.  Lots of rebuilding to do without him anchoring the backline, not to mention what they lose in terms of leadership.  To be fair, Kamara had a solid year too.

I don't have the stats, but doesn't it seem that the Caps went through more players during Robbo's time than most of the other MLS teams? Or is it just that I follow the Caps more closely?  It seems, too, they wasted cash and time on a fair number of "prospects" that simply did not pan out. I know that this happens with many football clubs, but there have been a lot of head scratchers.  Money has been a challenge, I know, but if you spend too much on the wrong guys, you sure as shit don't help matters.  Shea and Ghazal make far too much for what they contribute, for instance.  Kind of wish we'd kept Parker, even if he was asking for too much, especially in light of Waston's departure.

Bring on the new manager and let's start building--intelligently.

Obviously nothing confirmed but talk on Southsiders that it is a done deal, just waiting until LA are done with Playoffs to confirm. 

Not that simple with Waston. He is under contract and the club don't want him to leave. I expect the new coach will speak to him and pending that meeting both sides will decide what happens. 

I don't think there will be many players people will be sad to see go or more importantly that can't be replaced. The problem is we can't get rid of enough players as we would want. 

I would like to keep   Waston, Reyna (although he is hot and cold), Kamara (if he can be persuaded) Henry, Teibert, Levis, Ghazal, Levis, Nerwinski, Felipe, marinovic, maybe mezquida. That still leaves too many to move out and replace this window. 

It wouldn't be a stretch to see the likes of Norman Jnr, Baldissimo, Bair, Colyn and Melvin involved next year but there has to be heaving investment in every area. We need two quality Strikers, two starting wingers, at least one quality CM, CB and RB. Thats just to start with.  

21 hours ago, The Beaver said:

But, yes, Waston and Reyna and Davies were, for different stretches of the season, the top three players all year.  If I had to give one guy player of the year for the Caps, it would be Waston.  Lots of rebuilding to do without him anchoring the backline, not to mention what they lose in terms of leadership.  To be fair, Kamara had a solid year too.

Maybe I'm just an old crank with the waist line of my pants near my sternum, but I don't think publicly stating that you want to leave only one year into a lucrative new deal is a great example of leadership.

Davies has been the talisman for more of the good things that happened with this club this year than any of the other POTY candidates combined.  And considering some of thuggery and intense scrutiny he's had to deal with over the season, he's kept his cool and stuck to his game much better than many of his teammates.   His maturity out there surpassed those guys, as well.  And he's still 17. 

Very weak decision to remove Robinson, when they could have still been very close to a playoff spot, and bring in someone who has no idea of head coaching in the pro world ..after that 4 points in 4 games and they were out of it before the last game..lenarduzzi should be gone next time he makes a big mistake like this..and now wonder why waston wants to get out

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Very weak decision to remove Robinson, when they could have still been very close to a playoff spot, and bring in someone who has no idea of head coaching in the pro world ..after that 4 points in 4 games and they were out of it before the last game..lenarduzzi should be gone next time he makes a big mistake like this..and now wonder why waston wants to get out

Kendall, is that you?

The move was made with the longer term in mind, meaning the Caps knew they were not continuing with Robbo beyond this year and were going to bring in somebody who could start fresh with all the Phonzie dollars to spend.  Not fully sure they couldn't keep Robbo till the end of the season, but the Caps have their reasons. The guy they want--who we all want!--has been in talks with at least one other club, so I suspect they wanted to pounce asap. Dalyrimple, to be fair, was never meant to take the Caps into the playoffs. Would have been great, but the Caps had mostly cooked their own goose by the time Robbo was fired. 

If Dos Santos signs and can do for the Caps what many of us think he can, then nobody will fault the Caps for removing Robbo in the manner that they did (I suspect.) With Davies gone, the thing that I am most excited about is watching Dos Santos build this team into something very exciting and credible and cohesive.

Maybe they felt they needed to shake the team up, motivate them with the coaching move with time left to right the ship. 

Selfishly I would rather see MDS go somewhere else.  It sure seems where ever he goes he gives CDN's a shot.  Rather have him elsewhere in MLS giving a CDN kid a chance that they normally wouldnt get.  

Robinson should have been sacked half way through the season (or I would argue at the end of last season).  I found the matches under Dalrymple to be more entertaining than most matches under Robbo, and if we are going to be a losing team, at least lets be entertained.

As for losing Waston, that would be a disaster. As for others to save, I'd keep Kamara, Tiebert and Nerwinski. I could be persuaded to keep Techera, Mezquida and Ghazal.  Levis can stay because he's Canadian and needs the training.  The rest are replaceable, but under the right coach could perform better.

5 hours ago, Nerf said:

Robinson should have been sacked half way through the season (or I would argue at the end of last season).  I found the matches under Dalrymple to be more entertaining than most matches under Robbo, and if we are going to be a losing team, at least lets be entertained.

As for losing Waston, that would be a disaster. As for others to save, I'd keep Kamara, Tiebert and Nerwinski. I could be persuaded to keep Techera, Mezquida and Ghazal.  Levis can stay because he's Canadian and needs the training.  The rest are replaceable, but under the right coach could perform better.

How about Reyna?  I think he'd be dynamite with the right set up. I'd like to keep the same guys you've listed, including Waston. I'd like to see Henry and DeJong stay, but I've got a feeling that DeJong is done.  And from the telecast on Sunday it seems that Techera is on his way out.  I'd keep Ghazal IF we could not find a guy who can play that role AND pass the damn ball effectively.  

What about Mutch?  He was never healthy for long spells, but he had his moments. 

Just hoping that the new manager has the budget to actually carve and build an identity for this team.

16 hours ago, The Beaver said:

How about Reyna?  I think he'd be dynamite with the right set up. I'd like to keep the same guys you've listed, including Waston. I'd like to see Henry and DeJong stay, but I've got a feeling that DeJong is done.  And from the telecast on Sunday it seems that Techera is on his way out.  I'd keep Ghazal IF we could not find a guy who can play that role AND pass the damn ball effectively.  

What about Mutch?  He was never healthy for long spells, but he had his moments.  

Just hoping that the new manager has the budget to actually carve and build an identity for this team.

I'd put Reyna, Henry and DeJong on my list of take them or leave them. Henry is probably the best candidate to stay. Reyna and DeJong have their moments for sure, but they could both be easily replaced by someone better.  Mutch is an interesting case. We didn't see him much due to injuries which may be telling. I think he has a great head for the game, but his body may let him down. I think he is worth the gamble for one more year to see what he's got.

One great thing about having Dalrymple coach the senior team for a few games is that he got to really see up close what MLS is all about and he might tweek his academy training a bit as a result.  He also got to throw in some of his youngsters to see how they can hold themselves in with the big boys. Not a bad strategy if you are really hoping to produce some Homegrown talent.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Idea .  trade Watson to TFC for a package of players or a player and some money? 

TFC is looking for a CB and they have  plenty of strikers. 

You guys can take Zavaleta in return, he's sick trust me. 

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I've been able to glean bits and pieces about the Whitecaps end of year presser from Peter Galindo's twitter feed.  Sounds like some finger pointing about cliques and "me" guys and a dressing room divide.  Go figure?

How ironic that this season they wore the "Unity" shirt.

16 hours ago, Bdog said:

You guys can take Zavaleta in return, he's sick trust me. 

On a serious note, I think offering Hagglund + cash or draft pick would be more palatable.

He can replace the aerial threat Vancouver would lose without Kendell, and his contract is smaller than Zavaleta's.

He also formed a pairing with Doniel for the 2014 season, where he played 25 games (Henry played 21). I checked and Zavaleta never joined until 2015, when Henry had already left for West Ham United.

So Nicky I think would be the piece I would move in such a deal.

Archived