Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

Big win to start the season. Kamara is the center forward that the whitecaps needed. Definately able to boss around the box (although i think the impact are really poor at CB right now). Davies was a star today, and if he keeps that going the whitecaps could be really dangerous. 

The most surprising thing for me was the Caps ability to keep possession in the midfield. Juarez and Tiebert look like a great combination. Add Filipe and Reyna into that conversation and I think the midfield will actually be able to compete this year. 

The one downside to the game was how Maund lost Moncosu for the Impact’s goal. Hopefully either Edgar or Henry will be able to fill that second CB spot. And it could be a little worrisome when Watson leaves...

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^If I was a Whitecaps fan I'd be more concerned about the defensive play at RB because Lovitz was afforded too much time to get that really nice ball played into the fair post.  I thought he played in some great balls and was probably their best player today.

Maund made a crucial defensive play in the earlier stages of the game that prevented a goal scoring opportunity when the Impact were on a quick counterattack.  He could have done better on that goal but I also remember Henry "losing" guys in similar situations, as well.  I suspect that Aja will be the guy brought in to go alongside Waston because I doubt he was brought in here to be a back up, with a healthy Henry and Maund duking it out for the number three CB spot.

Well the whole game was a pleasant surprise. We had possession, for me no player was really out of his element, I thought Maund was fine, and Teibert had a good match. I much prefer that kind of player to take the ball from the defenders out than someone like Tchani. I agree that Davies took a step up and looks to have matured, apart from the goal getting him past that stigma of having not scored in league. The team actually played as if they were cohesive and properly trained. You could see interesting banter out there, like Kamara with Efren. We pretty well controlled the whole game, and there were a few things we did that seemed to correct past errors (tracking defensively), with the odd exception....

On their goal: the problem there, really, is that there should be double coverage on the cross in, so that was a slip IMO. 

EDIT: so I am taking back a lot of what I have slagged Robbo for in the past, hope it keeps up.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well the whole game was a pleasant surprise. We had possession, for me no player was really out of his element, I thought Maund was fine, and Teibert had a good match. I much prefer that kind of player to take the ball from the defenders out than someone like Tchani. I agree that Davies took a step up and looks to have matured, apart from the goal getting him past that stigma of having not scored in league. The team actually played as if they were cohesive and properly trained. You could see interesting banter out there, like Kamara with Efren. We pretty well controlled the whole game, and there were a few things we did that seemed to correct past errors (tracking defensively), with the odd exception....

On their goal: the problem there, really, is that there should be double coverage on the cross in, so that was a slip IMO. 

EDIT: so I am taking back a lot of what I have slagged Robbo for in the past, hope it keeps up.

Yeah, I agree, it was an overall solid performance by the Caps. And it seems, at this very early stage, that they've got more leadership on the field than they did last year, especially in the likes of Waston, Effie and Kamara. Kamara worked his ass off and scored a beauty. Still looking for a bit more chemistry down the middle, but that should come.  Reyna has more to give. Interesting to see how guys like Felipe and Mutch slot in.  We might not have the star players of a TFC--we don't--but we certainly have significant squad depth.

Davies was electric, but the thing that I was most pleased to see is that his passing has improved significantly and that he is truly learning the game. I think of how Manneh's development seemed to stall/stop, and I am delighted to see Davies still growing and getting better (and faster). 

Nice to see all the Canadians on the pitch yesterday. Thing is, our Canadians were better than theirs. 

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good time of year to take on what appears to be one of the strongest teams. And get them out of the way. They attack, we counter. Big test for us.

Will be be a good reality check either way.  Montreal  looked like a NASL version of their club last weekend, so let's see what this hastily thrown together side can do against an established side with some punch behind it.

That first half saw the Caps playing the same poor football as last year, maybe even worse. Quite the mess of a coaching job out there, everyone out of position and scrambling, no team pressure, no movement with any coordination with the ball. Except up to the goal, a bit better at least, the start. 

Davies back to making huge decision errors, then De Jong gets injured and he puts Alphonse back to the LB position, where he really is not at all comfortable. Though mind you neither was De Jong up against Ellis.

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That first half saw the Caps playing the same poor football as last year, maybe even worse. Quite the mess of a coaching job out there, everyone out of position and scrambling, no team pressure, no movement with any coordination with the ball. Except up to the goal, a bit better at least, the start. 

Davies back to making huge decision errors, then De Jong gets injured and he puts Alphonse back to the LB position, where he really is not at all comfortable. Though mind you neither was De Jong up against Ellis.

Davies had a terrible first half but has been decent in the second.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Davies had a terrible first half but has been decent in the second.

He was a ton better defensively 1 v 1 than Nerwinski on the other side.  His recovery pace shut down any Houston player that took him on.

Great hustle and finish by Shea on the winner.  He ran out-ran the two CBs like they were participating in an underwater tai chi class.

32 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He was a ton better defensively 1 v 1 than Nerwinski on the other side.  His recovery pace shut down any Houston player that took him on.

Great hustle and finish by Shea on the winner.  He ran out-ran the two CBs like they were participating in an underwater tai chi class.

Nerwinski was horrible today. I know he can be better than how he was today. Maund also didn’t have a great showing. I think Edgar or Henry should definitely get a chance soon if either of them are fully healthy. I think on another day, one of Maund or Nerwinski would have been at fault for a tying goal, but Marinovic was amazing.

5 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Nerwinski was horrible today. I know he can be better than how he was today. Maund also didn’t have a great showing. I think Edgar or Henry should definitely get a chance soon if either of them are fully healthy. I think on another day, one of Maund or Nerwinski would have been at fault for a tying goal, but Marinovic was amazing.

That's pretty harsh on Maund. He's not Parker, but I think he's been pretty damn good. Best defender on the field according to the Audi Player Index and I'd probably agree.

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Nerwinski was horrible today. I know he can be better than how he was today.

De Jong was also exposed defending on an island 1 v 1 against Elis but this is two games in a row where Nerwinski has been poor on the defensive side.  He's got a good cross and has some good ball skills but against quality guys who like to attack directly off the dribble, he has struggled (just like he did at the end of last season).

On the plus side, Kamara's a real difference maker up top and that's huge for this club going forward.  He excels in the role of a one man gang.  On the negative side, Reyna as a flank mid/winger isn't going to cut it.  I don't see that as position he will grow into as the season progresses:  he's a central player who likes to free range to pick his spots.

56 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Marinović was fantastic!!!!!.... Also, was Edgar always re-signed??? .. And when do we expect to see Henry back?.. Now with Parker gone, it's def the appropriate time to give Henry and pending Edgar is re-signed opportunities 

1 hour ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Marinović was fantastic!!!!!.... Also, was Edgar always re-signed??? .. And when do we expect to see Henry back?.. Now with Parker gone, it's def the appropriate time to give Henry and pending Edgar is re-signed opportunities 

I get the feeling that the longer that Edgar remains unsigned, the lesser the likelihood that it happens.   

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I get the feeling that the longer that Edgar remains unsigned, the lesser the likelihood that it happens.   

Is there any inside word on his knee?  Is he not getting signed because the knee is shot?  Has to be someone who could use a experienced CB. (cough cough montreal).  Hate to see this be the end of Edgar.  

Might just be dollars and cents.  We know what longer term deal Aja is on and what Maund was getting paid last year as a back up; we won't know what Henry gets for awhile yet but I'm guessing he's in Aja territory, so why would the club pay similar type of money for a 5th CB?  Besides, that type of place on the depth chart is usually reserved for a much cheaerp, younger developmental type of player (less than what Parker made last season).

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Is there any inside word on his knee?  Is he not getting signed because the knee is shot?  Has to be someone who could use a experienced CB. (cough cough montreal).  Hate to see this be the end of Edgar.  

Could always look at a pay as you play deal. I think they are still assessing fitness. He desperately wants to stay and I think the club want him to prove his fitness.

Archived