Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the Caps do in the off season will be telling, I think. If nothing changes, then we'll see a drop in season tickets for sure. Since inception (MLS, that is), I've gone from season tickets, to 5 packs with a couple extra matches thrown in, to this season where I have gone to 3 matches. Two of those matches were ruined by red cards. It didn't feel like money well spent when I could have watched the match on TV. I've been a supporter for most of my life, and will continue to be one. But $70 isn't insignificant money to dish out for a match that doesn't leave you excited for more.

Professionally played match, with greater intensity than Quakes throughout. Always felt like a win, even though we lost yet another clean sheet, as we often do late. 

We are more effective playing a double pivot in front of defence, both Teibert and Ghazal, who probably had his best game as a Cap, thrived this way, had more range, pressured effectively defensively, and participated in attack a lot. Levis was solid tonight too. 

Reyna showed why he has the most ball talent on the team. But got an unlucky yellow and won't face Seattle. 

Our playoff hopes are alive, and the team is actually looking like it deserves to be there.

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Professionally played match, with greater intensity than Quakes throughout. Always felt like a win, even though we lost yet another clean sheet, as we often do late. 

We are more effective playing a double pivot in front of defence, both Teibert and Ghazal, who probably had his best game as a Cap, thrived this way, had more range, pressured effectively defensively, and participated in attack a lot. Levis was solid tonight too. 

Reyna showed why he has the most ball talent on the team. But got an unlucky yellow and won't face Seattle. 

Our playoff hopes are alive, and the team is actually looking like it deserves to be there.

Just got back from the match. Agree with everything you say here. Both Levis and Nerwinski were excellent. Much more intensity tonight. Davies looks to be close to 100% healthy. Ghazal and Tiebert were very professional and tidy. We needed to be more clinical with our chances, especially in transition. Levi’s was named Man of the Match, which was well deserved even if I would have given Reyna the honours. Still, Levis looked like a guy who could thrive in MLS. He may supplant DeJong before too long. If he continues to develop like he has been then this will be good news for the Caps and Canada.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They were playing the worst team in the league, for the second game in a row, at home and their opponent had already played midweek.  They should be winning this game against a team that has a lousy defence and questionable goaltending.  I did like how they pressed and pressured this type of opposition and dictated the game at home as opposed to being passive.  And yet, they still made it an adventure at the end.  Fine lines! 

The performance in the next stretch of games after the break would be a better indicator for me of whether or not they deserve to be in the playoffs.  But at least they did the business here in the last two matches.

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

They were playing the worst team in the league, for the second game in a row, at home and their opponent had already played midweek.  They should be winning this game against a team that has a lousy defence and questionable goaltending.  I did like how they pressed and pressured this type of opposition and dictated the game at home as opposed to being passive.  And yet, they still made it an adventure at the end.  Fine lines! 

The performance in the next stretch of games after the break would be a better indicator for me of whether or not they deserve to be in the playoffs.  But at least they did the business here in the last two matches.

True about Quakes...but they have nothing to play for and have been feisty the last few weeks.  We usually drop to the rival's level so just bossing a bit is a good sign.

It's frustrating to think we have to be underdogs against Seattle at home with playoffs and Cascadia on the line.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:18 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

This was only downer from the match on Saturday. What a huge blow for the most important game of the season in a couple of weeks.

Ghazal, Kamara and Waston all away on international duty. Hopefully they come back injury free an not too worn out for the Cascadian derby.

It all comes down to the Seattle match.  If we can get a win, both our playoff hopes and Cascadia Cup bragging rights will be looking good. Lose, and I'd say it's all over.  The last 6 games have been a quiet success, even if the style of play isn't to my taste.

6 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

Levis may have just taken the Fullback spot from De Jong.  Is it safe to assume DeJong doesn't deserve a call up if he's not even in the starting 11 on his own club and is behind another Canadian on the Depth Chart?

Not really. De Jong has one of the best set piece deliveries if not the best on our national team and that's why he would get call-ups. If there was someone with a better left foot, de Jong wouldn't get called up.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, Blackdude said:

Not really. De Jong has one of the best set piece deliveries if not the best on our national team and that's why he would get call-ups. If there was someone with a better left foot, de Jong wouldn't get called up.

But Levis has a pretty damn good left foot. Maybe not quite as good as Marcel's, but still...

Think we can honestly say we played better than Seattle tonight, and were even unlucky on our many chances. But we also tend to squander breaks, and advantages, by making wrong decisions, like on the counter. 

That said, I think that we would not have lost if it hadn't been for Levis terrible no-look pass, that killed us and Seattle knows how to manage games well. Sorry for Levis, but it did make you think: he is still a project, has a ways to go (also because he was not too sharp in general tonight).

Davies still is running into nowhere spaces and making wrong decisions too, there are moments he draws defenders he has to play off to another attacker.

Biggest surprise for me was again Ghazal, who has stepped up and is doing well. 

Thought teibert was immense again. He has amazing energy and drive the minute he gets the ball. He also showed again his fantastic vision for passes.

I could see why he wouldn't be a prime option for Canada on pitches like in Florida last weekend but with games on bigger wider pitches he currently has a case to start and I think would be a great option. 

Just now, toontownman said:

Thought teibert was immense again. He has amazing energy and drive the minute he gets the ball. He also showed again his fantastic vision for passes.

I could see why he wouldn't be a prime option for Canada on pitches like in Florida last weekend but with games on bigger wider pitches he currently has a case to start and I think would be a great option. 

I think the energy and precision passing that Piette offers coming out of the holding position puts him ahead of Teibert. But Russell has had a good couple of months, he is sharper, makes less mistakes, looks fit as well. Positionally pretty good, and has a bit of forward vision. 

For a team that is, in general, on the wrong side of the ball defensively over and over again, and late to defensive coverage, and often confused about who is supposed to do what (basically a mess), Teibert looks fairly good and is rarely exposed.

That Kamara has been our top scorer - and one of our better/more consistent performers - is to me an indication of big problems.  Not a knock on him, but he is 34.  And before you start bringing up Ronaldo at Juventus, realise that he isn't Ronaldo.

And then they go and sign Emnes, who may well be a decent player, but he's 30.  This shows a lack of vision for the club, and ability to bring along the youth.  If I'm a young player, I don't see anything about the Whitecaps ability to bring a player along that would be encouraging for me.  Davies is a wonderkid(by MLS standards), and then there are no other youth team players who they've brought along and truly developed.

Robinson out.

Does anyone believe Emnes will end up playing? 

It looks like the playoffs are slipping away again and I am happy for that to happen should it mean a change in manager. Robinson is a nice guy and brought some positives and a unified attitude to the playing staff but ultimately has not been able to build upon those positives to take the club closer to its potential. The majority of his buys haven't worked out and despite having the deepest squad in the clubs MLS history (imo) we have gone backwards this year. 

He has been almost as much hamstrung by the boards ambition as his own ability but he has had time enough for me. As have the board. I have said it before and I will repeat the rhetoric. If the board feel they don't have the money to compete or bring in a couple of top players that would put the club where it could be then they need to:

a) find more outside investment. 

b) step aside and forgo their egos and notoriety/money they make from the club for someone that can take the club where they wont.

I don't see much changing though even if Robinson gets the boot, which I still don't think they will do. Life is good for the board, life is good for Robbo. Any new manager would be picked on the basis of working on a shoestring budget and downplaying ambition.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think the energy and precision passing that Piette offers coming out of the holding position puts him ahead of Teibert. But Russell has had a good couple of months, he is sharper, makes less mistakes, looks fit as well. Positionally pretty good, and has a bit of forward vision. 

For a team that is, in general, on the wrong side of the ball defensively over and over again, and late to defensive coverage, and often confused about who is supposed to do what (basically a mess), Teibert looks fairly good and is rarely exposed.

They are two quite different options for different matches imo and could actually work together. Piette is a bulldozer and Teibert is much more of a deeplying play maker imo, although despite years of me bashing playing him there we are seeing dividends as he is a much better rounded player. 

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Think we can honestly say we played better than Seattle tonight, and were even unlucky on our many chances. But we also tend to squander breaks, and advantages, by making wrong decisions, like on the counter. 

That said, I think that we would not have lost if it hadn't been for Levis terrible no-look pass, that killed us and Seattle knows how to manage games well. Sorry for Levis, but it did make you think: he is still a project, has a ways to go (also because he was not too sharp in general tonight).

Davies still is running into nowhere spaces and making wrong decisions too, there are moments he draws defenders he has to play off to another attacker.

Biggest surprise for me was again Ghazal, who has stepped up and is doing well. 

I have to agree with you on every point here, especially your points about Davies.  I didn't think he had a "flatter to deceive" kind of performance, with some impressive stuff mixed in with some poor decisions as well as switching off defensively at the wrong time (wasn't he the winger on that side of the pitch entrusted with minding the overlapping Seattle RB on the first goal?).

The back pass was brutal, plain and simple.  Mezquida should have put that chance away early in the match.  Nerwinski's lost his crossing skills.  Brek Shea's defending against Lodeiro was beer league calibre.  Kamara put in a strong shift, and Ghazal did a great job against Lodeiro. 

Just now, BearcatSA said:

I have to agree with you on every point here, especially your points about Davies.  I didn't think he had a "flatter to deceive" kind of performance, with some impressive stuff mixed in with some poor decisions as well as switching off defensively at the wrong time (wasn't he the winger on that side of the pitch entrusted with minding the overlapping Seattle RB on the first goal?).

The back pass was brutal, plain and simple.  Mezquida should have put that chance away early in the match.  Nerwinski's lost his crossing skills.  Brek Shea's defending against Lodeiro was beer league calibre.  Kamara put in a strong shift, and Ghazal did a great job against Lodeiro. 

Oh, and boy is this team better with its most talented player: Yordi Reyna.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Oh, and boy is this team better with its most talented player: Yordi Reyna.

When he's "on," the team's better, for sure.  But when things aren't going right and he's getting shut down in the middle of the park, he's prone to poor decisions out of frustration, like petty bookings.  Things that later suspend you from key games.  Like this one.

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

When he's "on," the team's better, for sure.  But when things aren't going right and he's getting shut down in the middle of the park, he's prone to poor decisions out of frustration, like petty bookings.  Things that later suspend you from key games.  Like this one.

And that happens a lot? 

Not only was the booking soft, but this is a team that can't manage games in critical moments because things like tactical fouling are lost on us. I prefer a player fully engaged with consequent cards, like Waston,  to the floaters and meanders. 

Archived