Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is not entirely true in my experience. 

When I was in a long term relationship with a Venezuelan girl, I had gotten to know many other Latinos, mostly from Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador and Mexico.

In some ways, there are a lot of differences and rivalries amongst them. However, there is also a commonality that transcends linguistics. 

Admittedly this is my perspective as an outsider, but I sense they are bonded in a way that English speakers are not.

Perhaps this is a consequence of a relatively shared history and cultural development shaped by geography.

British commonwealth countries, on the other hand, are more widespread geographically, which perhaps lends itself to more distinction both historical and culturally, ironically.

It's not lost on me that other clubs with sizable latino contingents figure it out, and it's also not lost on me that living in an Anglo country would naturally drive Latinos to form cliques - as it would for any other group of people.

But that being said, I can't help but be unsurprised that Vancouver, more than any other team, is having this issue with latino cliques in their team. Is there a less Latino MLS market than lower mainland BC? Perhaps there is an element of isolation in Vancouver that you don't get in Dallas, or even Salt Lake City.

I blame the freaking rain. Hell, it even makes me want to join a Latino clique! 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am overall pleased by the hiring. And expectant. He will have money to spend, I hope, and will also have the freedom to work with the squad as is, and improve it. This is my bucket list:

1-Tight defensive play and creative attacking play, leading to results. In the playoff picture solidly from day one of the season, and there when it ends too. A team to be proud of.

2-Consistency in playing style, and ability to dictate games in critical moments, not just chase them. This means proper coaching in all respects, including positional play, and the subs on the same page as starters.

3.This would automatically mean entertainment value I think. I don't even worry to speak about possession, as it is not the end all and be all. If we attack the ball and win it back as a team, and then attack with options, then we'll be fine. And probably fun to watch.

3-Canadian content, both youthful and mature. 

4--Related to that, a full youth program, including reviving our USL option if need be. Need a proper link from our u-17s and residency to prep for the first team. 

5-All in for the Voyageurs Cup with no holds barred. 

6-A coach with a mandate from the FO and the resources to attain it. And if they are not available, a change in management, starting with Lenarduzzi. For me, this 3-year contract period for MDS  is Bobby's last chance as well.

If he holds true to the press conference you should be happy. 

- Wants players the can hold possession with the ball but play front to back quickly and direct. Likes his players to be aggressive. In his own words that should make for exciting football to watch. From previous articles I have read about his philosophy they will be very organized positionally. 

- Promised the only players at the club will be those that love the club and will fight for it.  

- Pretty sure I read a bit much into it but seemed like a potential jab saying culture is built day after day, you wont see him with a powerpoint talking about vision or a motivational speaker, it can only be done properly day in day out.

- Dream is to have 6,7,8 players on the team from the academy but its one step at a time and there is a big gap to bridge. There wasn't a mention about youth teams so far other than he will work closely with Dalrymple and it will take time. There will be heavy investment in scouting, recruitment and youth.

It was a F.O. Dream interview from the perspective that MDS:

- Isn't bothered about the money, its about making the best of the players you work with and making them better (a very Rafa Benitez approach). He has done that before and that is what he likes doing. Having lots of money would be great but he thinks that comes from setting up the recruitment, scouts and youth system and vertical alignment between them all to produce a firm framework to then build upon later with bigger money signings when we are in the position to do so. 

- They seem very aligned in vision which bodes well, all these initial press conferences do though!

Some nice asides:

- Bob Bradley being a heck of a human being and someone to learn from. 

- Has his coaching staff very much in mind but should make sure to respect who is already at the club and see if they fit. Came across to me that latter was a bit of an afterthought, respectful thing to say and he is bringing in his own people anyway!

- Mallet said the FO has all held the mirror up to assess themselves and their part in the lack of progress. Didn't do anything to suggest there will be any change in attitude to what we have seen before and he said no renaming of positions or shuffling happening. He mentioned on big money signings he and Greg have always said once the team has its house in order and the framework is there they will go to the next step in signing bigger players, if necessary. The club has come close in the past but is yet to get there. This was the only real downside of the press conference for me. Seemed like an invisible brass ring speech.

It is all roses now. I feel like with Robinson they have found another manager that is happy with what the FO and owners offer without them pushing the boat out, which is too bad but lets see how they handle the Davies money and if they fulfill the promise of bigger things if MDS does successfully build the framework they have been craving.

5 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

The first time I remember seeing Marc Dos Santos was in 2007 coaching Trois-Rivieres Attak in the CSL (yeah that outlaw league).   

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports07/07csl016.htm

I'm pretty sure trainer Marta Dos Santos was his wife.  

Nice to see I have two links as references to whoever wrote his Wikipedia bio.     

Thik his wife is called Marie and knowing that she's from Quebec, she probably doesn't have her husband's name. 

Very good press conference indeed. Great impression of MDS already.  As for the Caps willing to spend on big dollar DPs, it seems evident to me that they are indeed prepared to do this, but they first want to see what Marc can do to clean up the existing roster mess, then carefully build an on field identity and bring in players who can play the style MDS wants, and THEN, once they've maximized resources intelligently, they will go out and get expensive DPs.  Mallet seems like a good guy, but he is not especially articulate. (MDS was far better.)  But if you listen to Mallet closely, you can figure out ownership's strategy. In essence, they are reluctant to throw money at an expensive DP when it is clear to them that they've not used their dollars wisely with the current squad. Guys like Brek Shea, for instance, are getting paid far too much for what they contribute.  First step: get your house in order. Second: evaluate your player-needs and fill the roster. Third: Assess performance and determine what is needed to put the team over the top (i.e. contend for MLS cup).  

So, yes, it remains to be seen IF the Caps will ever sign a top tier DP, but what I heard from Mallet was far more encouraging--and strategically wise--than what some of us might have interpreted here.

I think it had less to do with the lower mainland and more to do with the locker room and the fact that most lf those "Latino" players were clients of the agency that Robbo favoured. In return the thought was amongst players, especially it seems amongst Canadians and residency, was that there was very little accountability amongst those players regarding discipline, practice habits, performance. But ill let people know someone thought Vancouver may be too Anglo for someone. That will get some chuckles. Most amongst "Latinos" who's first reation when arriving in Vancouver typically is " where the hell are the white people" i say it with peace and love

Used to insist on a 4-3-3 and made it clear he thought it was the best formation in almost any situation but changed that in 2017 with San Francisco when he used mostly a 3-5-2 and a few times 4-4-2 and won a championship..could be seen as growth as a coach..in any case will be interesting..looking at the squad there are questions all over the field so will be interesting to see if Dos Santos mostly will trust these players or will go for many changes

On 11/7/2018 at 8:45 AM, The Beaver said:

Let's do this!

Interesting to note that MDS speaks English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. 

Now let's see if he can persuade Waston to stay. Having said that, maybe MDS won't bother with Waston. If your leader acts as he has since the firing of Robbo, then maybe you don't want that guy in your locker room. And, also, they might be able to get something significant for Waston in return.

Excited to see what MDS will do next, especially in terms of building his roster.

Interesting snippet from this radio interview...
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/dos-santos-want-players-committed-to-whitecaps-that-want-to-fight-for-this-club-1.1205961

When pressed a bit on who we can expect back next season, he dismisses that question and gives an example on a type of player. He says its important to acquire players that fit the philosophy of football that you have. So he says the since he wants to press up the pitch meaning they will have a high defensive line, he will need quick defenders that can cover the space behind them. I couldn't help but think that perhaps he was talking about Waston in that example.

6 hours ago, masster said:

Interesting snippet from this radio interview...
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/dos-santos-want-players-committed-to-whitecaps-that-want-to-fight-for-this-club-1.1205961

When pressed a bit on who we can expect back next season, he dismisses that question and gives an example on a type of player. He says its important to acquire players that fit the philosophy of football that you have. So he says the since he wants to press up the pitch meaning they will have a high defensive line, he will need quick defenders that can cover the space behind them. I couldn't help but think that perhaps he was talking about Waston in that example.

I'll eventually get to listen to it all myself, but a few thoughts. 

First, when you have a captain who is a longstanding player, it would not be too much to ask to say something positive about him (Waston). 

Then: you cannot change the entire roster, that is irresponsible. And would also suggest he has not really looked at the team. Because any who has, would say "hey, that guy I can use", he'd be fair about it. Not just say I have a different philosophy so I need a whole new set of pieces. That is not a coach, it is a signing maching. And we already had one of those. 

Pressing up the pitch. Well if he can coordinate it, all power to him. Most teams that pretend do this give up after half an hour, because they are gassed. With no energy to attack either. Because they do not do it right, meaning they do not move positionally and do not truly support each other in getting the ball back. In any case, in MLS there is so much time on the ball it is silly, the pressing is minimal, in general, across the league. You have tons of time on the ball, and you still make a dumb pass. So, being a bit exagerrated, you actually do not have to press that much or well to be successful at it, thanks to the rival's errors. 

About centre backs and a high line: I can give plenty of examples of slower CBs who have been successful on a high pressing line. It is more about positioning, anticipation, and pressure in the middle limiting balls through. So another point that is debateable. The reason you have a high line is to keep the pressure on the rival tight, and then to keep the rival far from your area, at least at the start of their attacks. 

Finally, what he is saying could mean a keeper change. We need someone with good footwork, who can play out, who is a true 11th field player, roaming in there beyond the high line.

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Big money DP's won't save you from a mediocre goalkeeper though. Never thought I'd say this but, maybe try to get the Old Dane back?

He has zero footwork, is scared shitless to get out of the box and sweep behind the defenders, and has proven this year he was actually not that good--he just was a crucial shot-stopper on a team that gave up a ridiculous amount of chances, because it played the entire defence deep. So he is the exact opposite of what MDS would need in his system. 

That said, I think Marinovic has better distribution, and more range, but may not be the modern keeper the Caps could really benefit from having.

I wasn't a big fan of Ousted, but Marinovic has been way worse. There's not a single point saved by Marinovic this season for the 'Caps.

I wonder if the appointment of Dos Santos means we'll get to see some of the players he's worked with, like Didic, Ouimette and Tissot.

Archived