Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We were all going sheesh. He has some clear problems as a professional player, fair enough. And really sorry to have to say so. 

At some point you have to ask yourself if he's ever going to learn. Hard lesson after hard lesson and he keeps putting himself in bad spots.

41 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

At some point you have to ask yourself if he's ever going to learn. Hard lesson after hard lesson and he keeps putting himself in bad spots.

He is all-heart-and-guts, all the time, but this gets him in trouble sometimes. He needs a manager who can help him add some soccer smarts to the mix. He IS improving this part of his game, but it is not unusual for guys like Doneil to resort to all-guts as they grow tired, which is what happened here, and on the own-goal in the Canadian championships etc.

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

He is all-heart-and-guts, all the time, but this gets him in trouble sometimes. He needs a manager who can help him add some soccer smarts to the mix. He IS improving this part of his game, but it is not unusual for guys like Doneil to resort to all-guts as they grow tired, which is what happened here, and on the own-goal in the Canadian championships etc.

One mans "all-guts" is anothers "brain- switches-off".

That is the second time this year he has given up a sort of OLE red card with his hands over his head like he was at a drake concert.  I am big Henry fan but shouldnt a coach have sat him down years ago and told him to keep his arms down.  Dont they have some sort of bungee cord they could attach to his arms in practice so he physically cant get his arms over his head??  I thought he was having a good game. HA HA to all the guys on the board who said he couldnt be trusted, then he pulls a bone head play again.  

Classic Doneil Henry..with these mistakes over and over he shows that hes not good enough to be a starter in a strong mls team and shouldnt be starting for the national team..would be fun to know how many penalties hes conceded in his career..probably 10-15 in +-120 competitve club pro games + around 15 goals that he was directly responsible for

2014:

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Classic Doneil Henry..with these mistakes over and over he shows that hes not good enough to be a starter in a strong mls team and shouldnt be starting for the national team..would be fun to know how many penalties hes conceded in his career..probably 10-15 in +-120 competitve club pro games + around 15 goals that he was directly responsible for

2014:

It’s as simple as this, Henry Out

4 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Life is not Black and White and this isn't supposed to be a witch hunt. Henry has faults, he also happens to be our best natural defender. We have to figure out a way to utilize him that works best for the MNT.

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

To be replaced by whom?  It’s our weakest position at the moment but Henry is getting regular minutes in the best league of any of our CB’s.  Need a couple guys to develop but right now we need him and James.  The elder statesmen can be there to support.  And finally in his defence Henry has had a horrible run of injuries so he has not had the hundreds of games that CB’s need to solidify the intellectual aspect of the game to go with his physical abilities 

Henry's overall play has been fairly solid with the Caps.  His biggest problem is that he still tries to force a big play, either a higher risk tackle or block and in doing so opens himself up to a big mistake.  And that's a problem that several physically talented defenders have had over the years.  He might eventually grow out of it, or might not.

At least he's healthy, which is a big positive.

Apart from that error, the team was pretty well in its usual line of play, with great talent and potential, but lacking hardcore work on the training pitch and in tactics. All the best to the sub coach, but he is not doing anything revolutionary nor do I see a thing altered. Maybe that is unfair, but still, there are plenty of cases of interim managers shaking things up. 

I hope they hire someone able to evaluate what is wrong and then with the backing to pull out the lash and flail away. We're the only Canadian team at all close to a even or winning record this year, in all competitions; with a decent coach, make that a few more results, and maybe a different overall narrative for the team. 

On 10/8/2018 at 5:12 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apart from that error, the team was pretty well in its usual line of play, with great talent and potential, but lacking hardcore work on the training pitch and in tactics. All the best to the sub coach, but he is not doing anything revolutionary nor do I see a thing altered. Maybe that is unfair, but still, there are plenty of cases of interim managers shaking things up. 

I hope they hire someone able to evaluate what is wrong and then with the backing to pull out the lash and flail away. We're the only Canadian team at all close to a even or winning record this year, in all competitions; with a decent coach, make that a few more results, and maybe a different overall narrative for the team. 

I thought he loosened the leash on Teibert a little, and it seemed to pay off.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I like Rusty getting forward a bit--judiciously. 

But, yeah, the new manager is just holding the reins till the new guy is hired. Having said that, this just shows how crap TFC has been when they lose at home to a pretty mediocre Caps side. (I blame Osorio, the lazy bastard  ?)

16 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Its seems to me the new coach has changed formation from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-1-4-1. Ghazal has been holding by himself and Teibert is higher up the pitch.

-w9p-PFe_bigger.jpgFarhan Devji @farhandevji
FollowingFollowing @farhandevji
More

The main difference I've seen from #VWFC under Dalrymple is how aggressive they press. Look at how advanced Teibert was today. Made life difficult for Bradley and TFC's back line.

Do3P0tQVAAArmOO.jpg

TFC missed two huge scoring opportunities (Janson, Auro) whereas the Caps were clinical (Teibert, Kamara).  The defensive play/pressing was not dissimilar to the road win in Columbus very early in the season.  They played a similar upfield pressing game last week against the Galaxy but got burned by brain cramp penalties and also no key save.  At least this time against TFC I didn't have to watch the Caps let them play passes around the park and revere to Nick Hagglund on the ball as if he was Franz Beckenbauer. 

Disappointing but the damage wasn't done today, it has been a long season of sub par performances and it will take considerable investment on and off the pitch and moving of players to get back looking like playoff contenders. 

There is certainly a core of players to play with but it depends who is brought in. Too many players need motivating but if we get the right coach that will save some considerable money on the players we have. 

Still need starting fullbacks on either side, a solid CB, two decent strikers, a replacement for Davies and likely a new central midfield. So many players also need moving on. 

Archived