Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree, that second penalty was very soft, he was running away from Franklin and the guy falling was totally unnatural.

As I didn't watch, for those who did: why so much added time, what was that about?

And was there a possibly similar penalty on Shea on their end, as one feed suggested?

The crappy reffing we are getting, giving all the favours to the opponents, is really troubling. We are vulnerable enough as it is.

There were some lengthy injury delays in the second half for Levis (2x), Marinovic (legit injuries in the case of these two players), and plenty of time-wasting cramping especially from Techera. I was expecting 5 but 7 probably wasn't too far off.

Agreed about the penalties. I'm not going to say the call against Franklin was bad, but if you give that one you have to give the contact on Shea at the other end.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Caps website are not altogether ruling out Davies and Henry for the match, unless there is newer news.

Turns out we have not played at BMO in over 2 years, MLS could sure do a better job seeing Canadian teams meet regularly.

It would be amazing if our chronic failure pattern at the Voyageurs Cup could change tonight, but I have to admit that we are not favourites. Rarely do we step up and show decision and dominance in a single match decider, whether playoffs or V-Cup.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Caps website are not altogether ruling out Davies and Henry for the match, unless there is newer news.

Turns out we have not played at BMO in over 2 years, MLS could sure do a better job seeing Canadian teams meet regularly.

It would be amazing if our chronic failure pattern at the Voyageurs Cup could change tonight, but I have to admit that we are not favourites. Rarely do we step up and show decision and dominance in a single match decider, whether playoffs or V-Cup.

I've a feeling we'll see Henry, who will have a beast of a game, maybe even score off a set play (not an own goal!), but I am pretty sure we will not see Davies.  Robbo said yesterday that Davies did not look great in training--from a health POV--and I cannot imagine the Caps will take any chances considering all the cash involved with the Bayern transfer. Perhaps he'll be on the bench, but I suspect they'll leave him out of the 18.

Robinson's main sycophant Caldwell was certainly banging the drum about the legend of brave Carl Robinson versus the scrooges that own the Whitecaps tonight. Clearly a rumour is in the air about his future (and none too soon). Caleb Porter is back looking for a job and would be a great fit for the club.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

Robinson's main sycophant Caldwell was certainly banging the drum about the legend of brave Carl Robinson versus the scrooges that own the Whitecaps tonight. Clearly a rumour is in the air about his future (and none too soon).

They'll probably beat the Energy Drinks at home then take the home and away vs SJ and things will be rosy again!  Such is the nature of this league and this team.

But the team never has control of any part of any game, that is not down to man marking. It is down to coaching, and to game management. We are one of the consistently worst teams in the league for this, we are fully unreliable with a lead. We were that close to having Minnesota tie us on Davies big day. And we lost a Voyageurs Cup a few years ago in the final minutes for the same reason. 

The guy simply has no clue how to do it, we are selling the entire squad down the river having to play under Robinson, who I find myself yelling at in my head every single game, for team positioning, for our defensive "shape", for coverage, for game management, for lack of discipline, for not correcting basic errors that have to be addressed. 

Story line: we were crap, we smartened up, we were good and bossed them, they shot themselves in the foot--then we were crap again. The story actually has literary merit, have to admit. The only reason we don't have to write it down is because it is recurring, it'll come back soon enough.

Didn't deserve more than a point even if the second half performance was light year's better. 

Absolute joke of a first half and the worst one seen us play. So many ineffectual players and truly embarrassing passing, communication and decision making.

In the end it was a mixed bag. Teibert looked great coming on but that wasn't hard given the really poor Felipe and fast becoming the new Jarju, Juarez. 

Gutted to see Levis leave the field. Thought he did well for the most part. Still not convinced he is a left back but he is an intelligent player coming forward (when allowed. Seemed clearly shackled by instruction) and has great vision. I fear he is going to be a huge CPL player though rather than MLS. As long as that's in Saskatoon in 2020 in cool with it.

Such a pointless season this has turned into. Even if we squeak into the playoffs we aren't getting further, there simply isn't the difference making quality. It's a bit deeply average squad. Glad we have decided not to spend some of the Davies cash in advance. Hopefully it goes to a new manager along with the funds raised from culling half of this dross squad. 

Just have to say, having watched a few highlights from other games: MLS defending, and in general marking in the defensive third, is atrocious. Sometimes I look at Holland and think this, other lesser leagues. Today it really stands out: you regularly see three attackers at the corner of a box, one deeper, the other inside, and TWO defenders over there to handle them. The CBs stand in the middle like statues, no one leaves their god-send position to challenge, plays get made easily. Look at most of the Seattle goals. Look at the post that Osorio hits for TFC, the build up is hilarious: a guy in the box, nearest the ball, uncovered, receives with all the time in the world, in a play that is not even that fast. Ok, that's SJ, but still. 

Have to say that, in general, and spite of the marking on Waston, NYRB actually does press forward as a team. So does Atlanta. A few, at the top, are doing the basic things right.

How can you play football, in a parity league, sitting back waiting for the other side to attack and just absorbing and absorbing wave upon wave? The only justification for that is if the rival is so superior in possession, that you have no choice, that coming out of the shell would be pure suicide. When is that ever the case in MLS?

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

Gutted to see Levis leave the field. Thought he did well for the most part. Still not convinced he is a left back but he is an intelligent player coming forward (when allowed. Seemed clearly shackled by instruction) and has great vision.

He did a good job of stepping up into clearances but he gives up too much space when marking a guy who's already on the ball and he makes me uncomfortable with covering the far post ball.  He seems to be a left footed version of Fraser Aird.  He would be better as a left mid.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have to say that, in general, and spite of the marking on Waston, NYRB actually does press forward as a team. So does Atlanta. A few, at the top, are doing the basic things right.

How can you play football, in a parity league, sitting back waiting for the other side to attack and just absorbing and absorbing wave upon wave? The only justification for that is if the rival is so superior in possession, that you have no choice, that coming out of the shell would be pure suicide. When is that ever the case in MLS?

I like that organized pressing game, too.  Both those teams you mentioned are pretty good at it but they also have the very quick personnel in central midfield to play that kind of game.  You're not going to get that from most of the Caps' central mids. 

Speaking of slow, did anyone else who watched the TSN broadcast get an ironic chuckle out of Juarez (along with Waston and Aja) enjoying the lawn bowling with the old folks?  I think he's found his new sport!

Archived