Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

No comments on the Caps game from yesterday?  Have we all given up hope? Or did no one see the game.

I saw the game. Very frustrating result. Davies had a strong game; DeJong played really well. Looks like Waston may have picked up a muscle strain--groin?. Doneil was mostly solid.  Caps had most of the possession and many decent chances, but simply could not score against one of the worst teams in the league, at home, on frickin Canada Day.

Dawned on me that now that the Caps do not have an A-league team of their own, they cannot say that "developing young talent" is a bonafide strand of their overall strategy. Yup, they've got their residency, but nowhere for those kids to go to further develop.  Maybe CPL?? So, what is their strategy now?  I think we are 100% Moneyball-ing it, which explains adding fellows like Juarez and Felipe. Yeah, both have had some good moments, and Felipe has added some calm in the midfield, but neither are game-changers. Mutch has some promise, but sort of feels like yet another Moneyball decision.  I've played Moneyball--in my previous role at my previous job--and it is an exhausting grind. 

I tend to be an optimist, and a pragmatic one at that, but I feel that I am now tuning in ONLY to see what Davies might do. And DeJong. DeJong was very good! 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, The Beaver said:

No comments on the Caps game from yesterday?  Have we all given up hope? Or did no one see the game.

I saw the game. Very frustrating result. Davies had a strong game; DeJong played really well. Looks like Waston may have picked up a muscle strain--groin?. Doneil was mostly solid.  Caps had most of the possession and many decent chances, but simply could not score against one of the worst teams in the league, at home, on frickin Canada Day.

Dawned on me that now that the Caps do not have an A-league team of their own, they cannot say that "developing young talent" is a bonafide strand of their overall strategy. Yup, they've got their residency, but nowhere for those kids to go to further develop.  Maybe CPL?? So, what is their strategy now?  I think we are 100% Moneyball-ing it, which explains adding fellows like Juarez and Felipe. Yeah, both have had some good moments, and Felipe has added some calm in the midfield, but neither are game-changers. Mutch has some promise, but sort of feels like yet another Moneyball decision.  I've played Moneyball--in my previous role at my previous job--and it is an exhausting grind. 

I tend to be an optimist, and a pragmatic one at that, but I feel that I am now tuning in ONLY to see what Davies might do. And DeJong. DeJong was very good! 

How does paying Juarez that much cap hit equate with Moneyball?  Or Ghazal?  Or Shea?

They should have won yesterday.  Fine lines, you know ;) , but they'll probably be able to poach points against some higher ranked teams on the road later this summer because Davies will blow by some lead foot defender on the counter and set up a goal or two. 

This is MLS, where everybody can get a ribbon!

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

How does paying Juarez that much cap hit equate with Moneyball?  Or Ghazal?  Or Shea?

They should have won yesterday.  Fine lines, you know ;) , but they'll probably be able to poach points against some higher ranked teams on the road later this summer because Davies will blow by some lead foot defender on the counter and set up a goal or two. 

This is MLS, where everybody can get a ribbon!

Good point! I didn't say it was GOOD Moneyball. ?

• 2 weeks later...

another poor performance by the caps, who are now sitting 8th place in the west, 14th overall in MLS. they now have 4 games in the next 13 days, meaning they likely don't have very much in the way of preparation time.

so naturally, the best thing to do 12 hours after this pathetic loss is have your manager go on TSN as a pundit. 

13 minutes ago, saladroit said:

another poor performance by the caps, who are now sitting 8th place in the west, 14th overall in MLS. they now have 4 games in the next 13 days, meaning they likely don't have very much in the way of preparation time.

so naturally, the best thing to do 12 hours after this pathetic loss is have your manager go on TSN as a pundit. 

Perhaps he should be pursuing this part of his career on a full time basis.

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

If I was a Whitecaps fan, which I'm not, I would be pissed. I don't even see why an owner would've ok with it.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Perhaps he should be pursuing this part of his career on a full time basis.

Hedging bets. Might need that work soon. If he wasn't such a yes man for the front office he would he out of a job at the end of this season, barring a miracle turn around. Likewise a different manager would have walked rather than put up with the lack of ambition from the ownership.

I would say I believe this is the deepest squad they have and absolutely should be doing better but they are still missing and have been missing a true DP talent who can make a difference where it counts in the league and games.

Robinson would likely find a lower league job in the uk. Both parties however have it easy right now. 

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

If I was a Whitecaps fan, which I'm not, I would be pissed. I don't even see why an owner would've ok with it.

Well, that's an indictment of the ownership, isn't it?  The club seems more interested in brand recognition.

Heck, what message does that send to your players?  That's it's all about you?

3 hours ago, saladroit said:

Exactly, Robinson talking about Croatia being better because they had possession or width or whatever. A guy talking tactics he is unable to implement, pathetic stuff. What a blowhard he is, behind those dreamy blue eyes and sweet demeanour he's a bit of a fraud, sorry to say. 

Whitecaps are better in many ways this year, like in possession precisely, and are not as boring as last year. So give Robinson some credit. Then again, they failed miserably in front of the CBs last night, they were soft at the top of the box, and timorous to challenge.

But definitely have to say that they do not look to be any more effective in terms of results from the day he started, nor have they properly evolved to be a team doing what he wants. It's no more than a crap shoot, there is no real plan at all, sometimes up, others down, nothing more. 

The sooner we get a real coach with technical skill training and managing a team to win, the better.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly, Robinson talking about Croatia being better because they had possession or width or whatever. A guy talking tactics he is unable to implement, pathetic stuff. What a blowhard he is, behind those dreamy blue eyes and sweet demeanour he's a bit of a fraud

You had me at "blowhard" ?

1 hour ago, nolando said:

You had me at "blowhard" ?

That's probably overstated he's he's a nice guy and soft spoken, but sheesh.

There are a few football geniuses out there who can't execute their ideas on the field,  like Bielsa, who are still a pleasure to listen to.  Robbo is more like the type who should go back to school. 

Another limp, uninspiring and frustrating performance. I think Carl Robinson is a nice genuine guy and has just about deserved the chance to continue each year but man he has sucked the life out of this squad, which in my opinion is the deepest it has been. Albeit they are without the DP difference makers other clubs have that could really propel them to the top but they should be doing far far better. 

Can't see the board getting anyone better in though, it is nice and cozy with Carl who doesn't cause a fuss. 

I understand that this is a business and that the team has been competitive without spending a lot but it's hard to believe they're serious about actually winning. I feel like with this model, last year's result is about the best they can achieve.

I know there are other factors like tv revenue, sponsorship, merchandise etc.. but they're a top 10 team in attendance and a bottom 10 team in salary. They could be spending more or at least more wisely. We're paying Fonzie under 100k. There has to be more to go around. Kamara has been fine but has 5 goals if you exclude penalties. That's less than Darren Mattocks who makes considerably less.

Fine, make Ghazal, Shea, Juarez, and Waston 4 of your top 5 paid players but then you can't be allowing 2 goals per game. 

I know players don't grow on trees but I'm not sure how long fans here will buy into being last in the league in possession and waiting for a counterattack and squeaking into the playoffs once in a while... especially once Davies is gone.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:34 PM, toontownman said:

Another limp, uninspiring and frustrating performance. I think Carl Robinson is a nice genuine guy and has just about deserved the chance to continue each year but man he has sucked the life out of this squad, which in my opinion is the deepest it has been. Albeit they are without the DP difference makers other clubs have that could really propel them to the top but they should be doing far far better. 

Can't see the board getting anyone better in though, it is nice and cozy with Carl who doesn't cause a fuss. 

this is the scariest part, for me. what decent manager would want to take a job to work with the kind of board we've got? 

the only way forward is if the board drastically shifts their strategy, or the board itself is shaken up. until then...very pessimistic about the future of the caps, sorry to say.

3 hours ago, saladroit said:

this is the scariest part, for me. what decent manager would want to take a job to work with the kind of board we've got? 

the only way forward is if the board drastically shifts their strategy, or the board itself is shaken up. until then...very pessimistic about the future of the caps, sorry to say.

On the upside its fucking roses and champagne in comparison to being a Newcastle fan.

Archived