Vancouver Whitecaps 2018

Michael Murillo certainly cannot complain that he was hard done by.   On one play he committed two fouls warranting a yellow card if each act was committed separately.  As Davies is off on a run, Murillo holds his arm to impede him from getting full steam. A second or two later, he agreesively trips him up from behind.  To me thats a red but moreso given that he comitted two acts warranting at least a yellow.   There are no rules stating that this should cause for red,. But common sence should prevail.   Later in game, one i cant exactly recall the exact detail but can recall the nature of the act,. he commits another obvious yellow card offence.   

Cant recall if he complained to the ref or not.  But it would have been hillarious if he did.  Anyways this is one area where a guy like Davies makes a huge difference.    

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Free kick said:

Michael Murillo certainly cannot complain that he was hard done by.   .....   

Cant recall if he complained to the ref or not.  But it would have been hillarious if he did.  Anyways this is one area where a guy like Davies makes a huge difference.    

He not only complained to the ref, but clapped cynically, to himself, then covered his mouth and gave the ref a talking to. Very cynical overall on that 2nd yellow, which was probably not a card IMO. But the other being so orange the ref chose to split the difference.

missed a little.

they're not going to bring in a expensive dp. 

talked about the soccer specific stadium, said they would love to, but they have a long term lease at bc place.

alphonso davies money will be split close to 50/50 on first team/ player development

robbo has 2 years left on his contract, they won't negotiate the assistants contracts( which are up) until the end of the season.

people kept asking about bringing in a big name dp.

talked about trying to put wfc2 into cpl, but have had talked to victoria, calgary and winipeg about putting players at those clubs, but the league rules about that are not finalized yet.

said they tried to sign jonathan david

lots of the call ins asked the same questions like they weren't listening

talked about youth development and that the model the have created isn't as good as they wanted it to be since they were one of the first to start 

talked about the agent that robbo uses to get players alot too,  and that 1/3 of the payroll doesn't play very much

The fans will NOT put up with a mediocre product much longer! Fans are expecting the organization to spend some of that Davies money on higher quality players, but if the Caps do NOT use the money to seriously improve the team, then fans will be even more frustrated than they are now.  If the organization, as a business, is barely surviving in MLS--even with the Davies windfall--then one has to wonder what the long term strategy will be.  Fans here will not attend games just to see the Caps play in MLS. Losing your fan base will put even more pressure on the business, to the point that the Caps will have to either sell the franchise--maybe even move it south of the border--or shutter the doors entirely. Maybe the Caps are bound for the CPL within five years.

We don't need to blow our brains on a Giovinco-type DP deal, but we DO need to raise our levels significantly.  Give me 18 guys the calibre of Waston and Reyna and I will be very happy.

4 hours ago, Nerf said:

In other words, it'll be the same thing for the next two years.  Sometimes I feel that the Caps want to do a Columbus Crew on us.

that's what it sounded like for jeff mallett when he was talking , not going up to the top of the league payrolls but staying near the middle and hoping we can do better bringing up the kids,  bringing up columbus, dallas , salt lake

8 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Fans here will not attend games just to see the Caps play in MLS. Losing your fan base will put even more pressure on the business, to the point that the Caps will have to either sell the franchise--maybe even move it south of the border--or shutter the doors entirely. Maybe the Caps are bound for the CPL within five years.

I think the expectations coinciding with the Davies' windfall have certainly been ratcheted up and perhaps that may have a bigger impact on attendance decline if the same product is still on display with the same style of play and the same inconsistent results, even if they bring in higher calibre attacking DPs.  I emphasize the word "may" because in recent times (i.e. post Vancouver Grizzlies' days), I always inferred that enough fans would keep showing up even if the home team product was mediocre because it's a major league event.  I don't know. I'm curious to know what others think.

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I think the expectations coinciding with the Davies' windfall have certainly been ratcheted up and perhaps that may have a bigger impact on attendance decline if the same product is still on display with the same style of play and the same inconsistent results, even if they bring in higher calibre attacking DPs.  I emphasize the word "may" because in recent times (i.e. post Vancouver Grizzlies' days), I always inferred that enough fans would keep showing up even if the home team product was mediocre because it's a major league event.  I don't know. I'm curious to know what others think.

Vancouver is in a quality and excellence mode for many things. For culture, sport, gastronomy, choice of cars---it's not.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vancouver is in a quality and excellence mode for many things. For culture, sport, gastronomy, choice of cars---it's not.

Gastronomy?  Really?  I love Vancouver's restaurants.  Never had a bad meal there.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Okay, now I wonder if you even spend any time here! (Do you?) The food scene in Vancouver is remarkable, easily one of the finest in North America. (And this isn't merely my opinion, to be clear.) It is eclectic, interesting and very high quality. If you are looking for recommendations, just let me know. In fact, there is a brilliant new cookbook coming out this fall called VANCOUVER EATS that showcases recipes from 45+ of the finest chefs/restaurants in the city. It is a passport to many of our finest!

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

Okay, now I wonder if you even spend any time here! (Do you?) The food scene in Vancouver is remarkable, easily one of the finest in North America. (And this isn't merely my opinion, to be clear.) It is eclectic, interesting and very high quality. If you are looking for recommendations, just let me know. In fact, there is a brilliant new cookbook coming out this fall called VANCOUVER EATS that showcases recipes from 45+ of the finest chefs/restaurants in the city. It is a passport to many of our finest!

Oh boy, prepare yourself for a tidal wave of condescending snobbery.  

Just now, Bison44 said:

Oh boy, prepare yourself for a tidal wave of condescending snobbery.  

Actually, those saying Vancouver is a food haven and "one of the best" would be the real condescending snobs, don't you think?

Everywhere in the world people think they eat great, because, having to eat, and then eating, they are satiated. Sometimes amazingly. And this is a powerful effect on human physiology, affecting our psyche. 

If people think that gastronomy in Vancouver is amongst the best in North America, that is fine. For me, it is like saying the Whitecaps play some of the best soccer in the MLS. A question of taste.

I could invite folks to be objective about Vancouver gastronomy however (whatever that is worth): show me a rating system where it has restaurants amongst the best in the world or North America? 

Just now, The Beaver said:

Show me the ratings for North America, I am interested, The Beaver. 

What you have posted is pretty well the typical Vancouver defense of greatness on the basis of absolutely nothing. That, for me, is extreme snobbery.

Edit: at least you did not say Vancouverites have great choice of automobiles, that's a relief!!

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yeah Beaver, dont make blanket statements about how good things are without having ratings from all of North america to back them up!!!   You know, like UT did.  

Just now, Bison44 said:

Yeah Beaver, dont make blanket statements about how good things are without having ratings from all of North america to back them up!!!   You know, like UT did.  

What I find hilarious is that I make this blanket statement, just totally off the cuff, in a list where I say Vancouver lacks excellence, including silly things like cars (when it is a leading luxury car market in North America), and you have to jump in and get all uptight about it with your way more arrogant and bigheaded posts. Look at how nervous you've become, going totally off topic to defend your yam fries and BC rolls. Pretty silly.

Your post is the typical Vancouver complacency speaking again. The same combination of arrogance and complacency that gets reactions from the rest of Canada that are perfectly deserved. Like the Canucks being one of the least liked Canadian NHL teams across the country, because fans are so bloody big headed, with no justification for being so. 

Vancouver has areas of excellence, plenty to speak of. Like any other city. But if you think it is a winner in sports, you are mistaken. And if you think that our food is tops in North America, you are terribly uninformed. 

I could care less, but take the most general, least clearly elite (NOT Michelin), top restaurant rating in the world. And go see if you can find Wally. There is a top 500 somewhere in there as well, I believe, I think Hawksworth (which I don't like) is the top Vancouver restaurant in there, somewhere:

https://www.theworlds50best.com/

52 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

There is rarely something that I agree with UT on but I have to say he is right about the food.  I have eaten in both Vancouver and Barcelona and hands down, Barcelona is much better place to eat really high quality food.  And just in general, Europe is better than North America in that regard for both quality of ingredients, inventiveness and ambience.  I live in Asia and there are some good things here as well, in particular in Japan as they take their food very seriously.  But for me, Latin America is the most exciting place these days for food.  And Lima probably the best (they have a big Japanese influence there as well).   Central #6 on that top 50 list is pretty incredible and cheap (and they are opening in Hong Kong soon...can't wait!).

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Show me the ratings for North America, I am interested, The Beaver. 

What you have posted is pretty well the typical Vancouver defense of greatness on the basis of absolutely nothing. That, for me, is extreme snobbery.

Edit: at least you did not say Vancouverites have great choice of automobiles, that's a relief!!

Start with the New York Times food critics. Then Conde Nast. Hawksworth is highly rated but there are far more interesting places to try. Vij's, Cacao, Savio Volpe, Analena, Mak and Ming, Kissa Tanto, Farmer's Apprentice,  Chambar, Cioppino's, even old guys like John Bishop. Maybe not world class but Vancouver certainly has a strong culinary scene. And the above is only a short list of great places to try.

Your definition of snobbery is delightful. You are so blind to your pretensions, which is also delightful (and enormously entertaining). 

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Choice of cars? I'm intrigued. How does this ranking system work? Until today I have never considered ranking a city based on cars. Calgary and Edmonton have F150s, Saskatoon has Pontiac Sunfires, Ontario has lots of Chryslers and other domestic cars that you can't even buy in Vancouver. Seattle has Subarus, etc. I would put Vancouver on top in Canada and the Northwest for variety, quality and general absence of completely crappy rust buckets on the road. 

Archived