Ottawa CPL Club

4 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

You should specify Canadian women or youth games, Ottawa hasn't hosted the men's team for a game since 1989.

Why? I have been there for Canada games and V cup games.  They are great, I don't see why it would be different for a men's game. 

It's one of the reasons the whole smoke bomb thing pissed me off at the V Cup game, as those security and event staff didn't deserve the scrutiny they got for that incident.   They are super helpful and nice.

I hope we host a men's game there, they deserve it.

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Why? I have been there for Canada games and V cup games.  They are great, I don't see why it would be different for a men's game. 

It's just a bone I like to pick, the fact that the country's capital hasn't hosted the men's team in almost 30 years. Not a dig at the Fury or OSEG (for once), but at the CSA. 

Also very off topic, sorry to those who care about posts staying on topic

Just to try and  reign things in a little, and make it clear. All of this frustration and criticism is in the context of soccer. 

What I mean is, should Fury end up in the USL final in Ottawa this year, I'll be buying tickets and driving my ass to Ottawa along with I suspect many others on this board leveling criticism at them ... 'cause... soccer.

In case you think this isn't true, I was in one of the many carloads of Toronto soccer fans that drove to Montreal to see the Impact in the CCL final in 2015.... again... 'cause... soccer.

This should be the kind of spirit that embodies this board.... not these stupid arguments.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading to pick up my Fury tickets tonight. We're allowed to ask questions of the coach and GM. Any ideas on what I should ask them? I was thinking of asking if there was any truth to the rumour that GMs and Coaches also fall under the CPL salary cap. I was also going to ask if they don't get sanctioning next year and the options are join CPL or fold, which will ownership choose?

3 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I'm heading to pick up my Fury tickets tonight. We're allowed to ask questions of the coach and GM. Any ideas on what I should ask them? I was thinking of asking if there was any truth to the rumour that GMs and Coaches also fall under the CPL salary cap. I was also going to ask if they don't get sanctioning next year and the options are join CPL or fold, which will ownership choose?

XXeoudE.gif

Realistically I can't see them wanting to answer too many questions about the CPL but I would definitely ask if they have a contingency plan in place in case they're denied sanctioning to play in the USL. If they try to say that they're committed to playing in the USL and fully expect to then they're not answering the question.

56 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

As pissed off at I am with OSEG and the Fury front office for their decision to not join the CPL, this leaves me feeling even worse. Pro soccer is only going to work in Ottawa and work well when everyone is rowing in the same direction. Having two teams compete for a limited pool of fans and corporate dollars (especially when one has a clear advantage in terms of ownership group, facilities, existing branding/name recognition, etc.) is just going to see each team struggle when there should only be one team, which would succeed. 

OSEG and the Fury front office need to get their heads of their collective derrières and switch to the CPL to avoid all this nonsense. 

Just now, m-g-williams said:

As pissed off at I am with OSEG and the Fury front office for their decision to not join the CPL, this leaves me feeling even worse. Pro soccer is only going to work in Ottawa and work well when everyone is rowing in the same direction. Having two teams compete for a limited pool of fans and corporate dollars (especially when one has a clear advantage in terms of ownership group, facilities, existing branding/name recognition, etc.) is just going to see each team struggle when there should only be one team, which would succeed. 

OSEG and the Fury front office need to get their heads of their collective derrières and switch to the CPL to avoid all this nonsense. 

Takes 2 to dance, OSEG won't, so let's ask someone else out

5 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

It's a bit trickier when the best dancer, despite acting like a dick, also has an exclusive lock on the best dance floor. Nothing else is going to come close, so everyone is going to lose.

TD Place is a good facility but a "Halifax-style" pop up stadium in Ottawa is just as doable. 

By the looks of it... OSEG seems to have found an alternative to the dates that the Fury could lose 

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

TD Place is a good facility but a "Halifax-style" pop up stadium in Ottawa is just as doable. 

By the looks of it... OSEG seems to have found an alternative to the dates that the Fury could lose 

I'm honestly not so sure of that. The Wanderers were beyond lucky that to gain access to such a prime location, close to downtown and within stumbling distance of countless pubs and restaurants. You could theoretically build a pop-up at Lebreton Flats, but the redevelopment of that area is years away now thanks to the whole Rendez-Vous Lebreton debacle. Other than that, there really aren't any prime, undeveloped locations (that I'm aware of) where you could build a pop-up that would work. There's always RCGT stadium, but playing out of a baseball stadium kind of sends the wrong signal. 

The only other option I could see would be to go the York 9 route and pay for significant upgrades to either Carleton or UOttawa's stadium. The locations aren't the greatest though, and it would still come off as rinky-dink compared to what the Fury have at Lansdowne. When you're trying to sell yourself as Tier 1 but play in a facility that's clearly second-rate . . . I just don't see it working for either team. 

12 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I'm honestly not so sure of that. The Wanderers were beyond lucky that to gain access to such a prime location, close to downtown and within stumbling distance of countless pubs and restaurants. You could theoretically build a pop-up at Lebreton Flats, but the redevelopment of that area is years away now thanks to the whole Rendez-Vous Lebreton debacle. Other than that, there really aren't any prime, undeveloped locations (that I'm aware of) where you could build a pop-up that would work. There's always RCGT stadium, but playing out of a baseball stadium kind of sends the wrong signal. 

The only other option I could see would be to go the York 9 route and pay for significant upgrades to either Carleton or UOttawa's stadium. The locations aren't the greatest though, and it would still come off as rinky-dink compared to what the Fury have at Lansdowne. When you're trying to sell yourself as Tier 1 but play in a facility that's clearly second-rate . . . I just don't see it working for either team. 

CPL could be seeking to talk with the rival bid to redevelop LeBreton Flats by adding a field there. You had the likes of Power Corporation and Laliberte (Cirque du Soleil) in that bid. They would be my #1 priority at this point. It's the only way you get on LeBreton Flats.

Option 2 is anywhere near the new O-Train LRT set to open this year or next year I think o-train-lines-confederation-trillium-map

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL could be seeking to talk with the rival bid to redevelop LeBreton Flats by adding a field there. You had the likes of Power Corporation and Laliberte (Cirque du Soleil) in that bid. They would be my #1 priority at this point. It's the only way you get on LeBreton Flats.

Option 2 is anywhere near the new O-Train LRT set to open this year or next year I think o-train-lines-confederation-trillium-map

The NCC hasn't released any details on the next Lebreton redevelopment plans except to say that this time around they’re going to break up the development. That would allow for a CPL group to bid on a smaller piece.

40 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

The mountain will come to muhammad soon enough. In the meantime just let the Fury do their thing in USL and work on establishing CPL teams in the many other markets that are ripe for the picking. All this acrimony is so unnecessary.

worth noting. take from it what you want, i think ivory is overselling fury but he's right if the plan is to go toe-to-toe it could be very difficult. even with a drop interest, they're still pulling around 5k a game and do have some very loyal fans *cough* who are sometimes trolls on here *cough*. an ottawa cpl team could be dependent on fury closing up shop or being sold to a cpl group

Edited by matty

22 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

The way I'm reading this is that I think that CPL is just watching if Fury can't play anymore in USL, that they would have someone ready to start a CPL team there. 

That would make the most sense in this ugly scenario, I don't know the Ottawa soccer landscape well but supporting  2 teams in 2 different leagues would be a challenge at this point I would think, it also seems the CPL and OSEG aren't going to ever be a fit!

There is a way to have a second team in the Ottawa area at this early stage, but it means having the team in Gatineau and building off the inherent rivalry between the two sides of the river / two provinces. I can't see two teams on the Ottawa side being successful at this point, though I do hope the CPL grows to that point in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

Like most people born/raised in Ottawa, I don't know the Gatineau side very well, but it'd be cool to have games at the base of the mountain, near the Campus Gabrielle-Roy of Cégep de l'Outaouais, there's a couple fields and space for a popup at least (though I have no idea about parking or ease of accessibility, I just like the idea of playing at the base of the mountain)