Jump to content
CDNFootballer

Ottawa CPL Club

Recommended Posts

Honeslty he talks of going toe to toe but the thing is that the CPL has a few deals Ottawa doesn’t which is a start and a huge leg up.

 

if they can get a good stadium it might actually work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There's really no indication that a second Ottawa or Gatineau team is in the works at this point. Suspect where things stand at the moment is that OSEG are not exactly on anybody associated with CanPL's Christmas card list at the moment, so if Eugene Melynk gave them a call to let them know that he's bored with the NHL and is planning to sell the Senators and bulldoze the Canadian Tire Centre, so it can be replaced with a 15,000 capacity SSS, they are highly unlikely to say no to him.

Bring Back The Wizards!

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gator said:

That would make the most sense in this ugly scenario, I don't know the Ottawa soccer landscape well but supporting  2 teams in 2 different leagues would be a challenge at this point I would think, it also seems the CPL and OSEG aren't going to ever be a fit!

Would there be two teams in Ottawa though?  

Ottawa was almost unsanctioned this year could the Fury be de-sanctioned if a CPL team in Ottawa exists outside of the Fury?  It doesn't seem right and there would definitely be some court dates if that happened but I don't count anything out in the world of soccer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sébastien said:

 

As a Fury supporter, these are definitely two statements I can get behind :)

JDG just confuses me at this point. I was beyond happy when he joined the Fury as a player, and thrilled to see him stay on in a management role. But his outright hostility toward the CPL is something I just can't wrap my head around, especially for Captain Canuck here who's the most-capped senior MNT player in Canadian history. You'd think he'd be the CPL's biggest cheerleader. And now he finally *is* starting to say positive things about the league after the all the vitriol he's been spouting for the last six months?

I had a lot of respect for this man previously, and I still recognize that what he's done for the sport in this country is incredible. But nowadays, I just can't take him or anything he says seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

Would there be two teams in Ottawa though?  

Ottawa was almost unsanctioned this year...

Were they? The last we heard from CONCACAF was a statement bemoaning the Fury's unnecessary PR campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

JDG just confuses me at this point. I was beyond happy when he joined the Fury as a player, and thrilled to see him stay on in a management role. But his outright hostility toward the CPL is something I just can't wrap my head around, especially for Captain Canuck here who's the most-capped senior MNT player in Canadian history. You'd think he'd be the CPL's biggest cheerleader. And now he finally *is* starting to say positive things about the league after the all the vitriol he's been spouting for the last six months?

I had a lot of respect for this man previously, and I still recognize that what he's done for the sport in this country is incredible. But nowadays, I just can't take him or anything he says seriously.

You have to take a look at his father, at his main mentor, and how his brother went. The sense of loyalty is unstable, the way Jonathan could opt for Holland so easily, and they have their backs up most of the time regardless. They are fundamentally mavericks, they do their own thing, i their terms. 

His dad had an idea you could often hear like  "us against the world", and that sort of mentality seems to be what JDG is picking up, a point of antagonism and unreflecting hostility we did not perceive when he was a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You have to take a look at his father, at his main mentor, and how his brother went. The sense of loyalty is unstable, the way Jonathan could opt for Holland so easily, and they have their backs up most of the time regardless. They are fundamentally mavericks, they do their own thing, i their terms. 

His dad had an idea you could often hear like  "us against the world", and that sort of mentality seems to be what JDG is picking up, a point of antagonism and unreflecting hostility we did not perceive when he was a player.

I think JDG's family had a bit of a rocky relationship with the CSA to say the least, dating back to before the "Sack the CSA" campaign from a good dozen years ago. This is generally what I keep on my mind when I ponder why JDG has spoken so harshly against the CPL. I get the sense of bitterness, but at the same time a person such as JDG needs to rise above that bitterness for the betterment of the game in this country. Like it or not, JDG is an ambassador for soccer in Canada, and continuing to tar and feather the CPL would not only do nothing to grow the game in this country, but it would solidify negative sentiment toward him from the fan base outside of the Ottawa area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Serie_AHH said:

Would there be two teams in Ottawa though?  

Ottawa was almost unsanctioned this year could the Fury be de-sanctioned if a CPL team in Ottawa exists outside of the Fury?  It doesn't seem right and there would definitely be some court dates if that happened but I don't count anything out in the world of soccer. 

CPL is most likely waiting for CONCACAF to hit them with a de-sanction notice, this time, respecting USL timetable of opting out which would prevent the Fury to go to CAS for the same reason they threatened to do last year. So obtaining an injunction from CAS on that ground went out the window.

Fury could fight it at CAS but their chances at winning are honestly slim to none.

The new twist (if true) that CPL has moved on from OSEG is accurate, then they either

  1. Fight CONCACAF at CAS, FIFA would most likely uphold the de-sanction and USL wouldn't allow a de-sanctioned team. They are virtually guarantee to lose it.
  2. They go to L10 (Owned by CPL)
  3. They fold

As the now famous case of the NHL v. Balsillie, no court can force a league to accept an ownership into its league and courts are really unwilling to rule on port leagues matters.

This doesn't go to conventional courts and they lose at CAS, I would think.

Everything lines up to play in CPL's favor on this one. With the Fury out of the way, investors will be very interested in the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CPL is most likely waiting for CONCACAF to hit them with a de-sanction notice, this time, respecting USL timetable of opting out which would prevent the Fury to go to CAS for the same reason they threatened to do last year. So obtaining an injunction from CAS on that ground went out the window.

Fury could fight it at CAS but their chances at winning are honestly slim to none.

The new twist (if true) that CPL has moved on from OSEG is accurate, then they either

  1. Fight CONCACAF at CAS, FIFA would most likely uphold the de-sanction and USL wouldn't allow a de-sanctioned team. They are virtually guarantee to lose it.
  2. They go to L10 (Owned by CPL)
  3. They fold

As the now famous case of the NHL v. Balsillie, no court can force a league to accept an ownership into its league and courts are really unwilling to rule on port leagues matters.

This doesn't go to conventional courts and they lose at CAS, I would think.

Everything lines up to play in CPL's favor on this one. With the Fury out of the way, investors will be very interested in the market.

Fury could also sue outside of CAS on non-sporting grounds, this could be damaging to the CSA and possibly CPL if this were to happen. If CPL is conspiring, as you suggest, then they're kind of a bunch of morons. I hope they aren't and avoid talking with Vic or the CSA about Fury.

I also wouldn't count on FIFA upholding it as doing so could hit other league systems, mostly in Asia.

I also don't think the CPL has actually moved on but rather want to explore other options. Fury is the easiest way in, has a fanbase, and grants you access to the best stadium, if they were willing to join the CPL I suspect they'd be allowed in because after all this is business and if great opportunity presents itself you take it.

 

screen-shot-2015-02-06-at-9-32-49-am.png

Edited by matty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

13:30 mark

 

Tried listening at work but my headphones cut out but what I did get;

- When OSEG came back to the CPL asking about a "wait and see" timeline the CPL basically said "**** them"

- There's been no contact between the two organizations since

- CPL is looking for investors for a team in Ottawa but Rollins says he has no more info than that. He then speculates about Melnyk and Malholtra but he makes a few statements which clearly shows he doesn't know much about the landscape in Ottawa

- Two groups in the Montreal area, most likely Laval, want to bring a club to the area. CPL is basically weighing options with both groups

- A group in lower mainland BC close to landing a club

- Both the Montreal group and the BC group would start in 2020

- Headphones crap out and I curse Apple and their cheap adapter for the thousandth time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Tried listening at work but my headphones cut out but what I did get;

- When OSEG came back to the CPL asking about a "wait and see" timeline the CPL basically said "**** them"

- There's been no contact between the two organizations since

- CPL is looking for investors for a team in Ottawa but Rollins says he has no more info than that. He then speculates about Melnyk and Malholtra but he makes a few statements which clearly shows he doesn't know much about the landscape in Ottawa

- Two groups in the Montreal area, most likely Laval, want to bring a club to the area. CPL is basically weighing options with both groups

- A group in lower mainland BC close to landing a club

- Both the Montreal group and the BC group would start in 2020

- Headphones crap out and I curse Apple and their cheap adapter for the thousandth time

If both groups for the Montreal region are solid there are options

1.Merge their bid and make the ownership that much stronger

2.The winner gets Laval, the loser (so harsh I know) gets help starting up in Quebec City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If both groups for the Montreal region are solid there are options

1.Merge their bid and make the ownership that much stronger

2.The winner gets Laval, the loser (so harsh I know) gets help starting up in Quebec City.

Scenario 2 would be ideal. It's especially ideal because Rollins talked about one of the major reasons the league is pushing the second BC team is the natural rivalry with PFC and the inherent decrease in average travel time a team closer to Victoria brings. Both of those reasons would apply to two Quebec teams!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don't think a team in Gatineau works, it would be entirely dependent on western Quebec residents as it would be a nightmare trying to get over the bridges from Ottawa for games.

So? Still a larger demographic than the Victoria team. Plus, they have an instant exciting rivalry. Also, don't exaggerate the "nightmarish" nature of transit between Ottawa and Gatineau. Games are usually not scheduled during rush hour. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fmfranck said:

So? Still a larger demographic than the Victoria team. Plus, they have an instant exciting rivalry. Also, don't exaggerate the "nightmarish" nature of transit between Ottawa and Gatineau. Games are usually not scheduled during rush hour. :P

There's a multitude of factors that wouldn't make it work in my opinion, population is just one of them. We're yet to see if Victoria works so I wouldn't point to them as a benchmark for success just yet.

And yes, to me travelling to Gatinaeu on a weeknight for a 7pm game would be a nightmare for anyone living outside of the Greenbelt. It would require multiple bus transfers and an hour plus travel time assuming the stadium would be relatively close to one of the bridges. Factor in planned bridge construction and replacement it only makes it worse.

And who is the instant rival? The Fury? This whole scenario is based on the idea that the Fury are not in the CPL, so that rivalry would consist of only potential V Cup matches.

All of this is entirely dependent on someone actually wanting to pursue a team in Gatineau, which at this point, we have no indication of anyone even considering it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I live in the Ottawa area and I don't think a Gatineau team would succeed in competition with the Fury, even without an Ottawa team I'm not sure a CPL Gatineau team would work .   I don't think a lot of Ottawa soccer fans would travel across the bridges for the games.

Two teams in the Ottawa area is not an option.

Edit:  My preference is a CPL team in Ottawa, with or without the Fury.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

The Fury must pay this guy really well for all the shitposting he does

fair bit i'm sure but the second point has some validity to it so it's not a shitpost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

There's a multitude of factors that wouldn't make it work in my opinion, population is just one of them. We're yet to see if Victoria works so I wouldn't point to them as a benchmark for success just yet.

And yes, to me travelling to Gatinaeu on a weeknight for a 7pm game would be a nightmare for anyone living outside of the Greenbelt. It would require multiple bus transfers and an hour plus travel time assuming the stadium would be relatively close to one of the bridges. Factor in planned bridge construction and replacement it only makes it worse.

 And who is the instant rival? The Fury? This whole scenario is based on the idea that the Fury are not in the CPL, so that rivalry would consist of only potential V Cup matches.

 All of this is entirely dependent on someone actually wanting to pursue a team in Gatineau, which at this point, we have no indication of anyone even considering it. 

Well you did not initially stipulate that your initial position on the impracticability of a team in Gatineau was only for a scenario with no Ottawa CPL team. 

In my opinion, IF a CPL team exists in Ottawa, and that no other teams exists, a Gatineau CPL team DOES make sense. Obviously, I'm not expecting Ottawa residents to be enthralled by the idea. But then again, it wouldn't really be "for them" primarily, would it? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

Well you did not initially stipulate that your initial position on the impracticability of a team in Gatineau was only for a scenario with no Ottawa CPL team. 

No, but if you follow the conversation the idea of the Gatineau team was brought up as an alternative location for an Ottawa area CPL team. 

7 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

In my opinion, IF a CPL team exists in Ottawa, and that no other teams exists, a Gatineau CPL team DOES make sense. Obviously, I'm not expecting Ottawa residents to be enthralled by the idea. But then again, it wouldn't really be "for them" primarily, would it? ;)

I agree, with a good owner, a good stadium and a CPL team in Ottawa I think a Gatineau team could be successful but I really don't see any of that happening.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And yes, to me travelling to Gatinaeu on a weeknight for a 7pm game would be a nightmare for anyone living outside of the Greenbelt. It would require multiple bus transfers and an hour plus travel time assuming the stadium would be relatively close to one of the bridges. Factor in planned bridge construction and replacement it only makes it worse.

Well if you live outside the greenbelt it's your own fault for living outside of Ottawa ?

I do agree that it would be difficult for some people in the political region known as Ottawa that somehow extends an hour drive (with no traffic) from downtown out to places like Fitzroy Harbour. However I don't know that I agree it would necessarily be a nightmare for Ottawa residents to get to - I mean, it would be easy for the significant number of Ottawa residents working for the federal government in Gatineau and not terribly difficult for those of us who work in the downtown core. 

Again, I know that, as someone born and raised in Ottawa, most Ottawa residents wouldn't be terribly interested in going to Gatineau for a CPL game, simply because they aren't terribly interested in ever going to Gatineau. But it's not as though the Gatineau Olympiques are doing that much worse than the 67s for attendance at the moment (roughly ~2.5k vs ~3.5k, though the 67s have in the past got as high as ~9k. Capacity in Gatineau is ~4k while Ottawa is almost 10k).

I would also argue that some of us, myself for example, would be more interested in getting season tickets to see a Gatineau team play Halifax, Hamilton, Edmonton, etc than seeing the much closer (I live in Old Ottawa South) Fury play Bethlehem and NY Red Bulls II. Playing around with schedules to ensure that the two teams are not at home on the same night, ideally the same weekend, would also encourage fans to go to both games.

At the end of the day I am not saying that this is going to happen. I am, however, saying that it is theoretically possible and could be a success even with the Fury around (more so if the Fury are also in the CPL of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

Well if you live outside the greenbelt it's your own fault for living outside of Ottawa ?

I do agree that it would be difficult for some people in the political region known as Ottawa that somehow extends an hour drive (with no traffic) from downtown out to places like Fitzroy Harbour. However I don't know that I agree it would necessarily be a nightmare for Ottawa residents to get to - I mean, it would be easy for the significant number of Ottawa residents working for the federal government in Gatineau and not terribly difficult for those of us who work in the downtown core. 

Again, I know that, as someone born and raised in Ottawa, most Ottawa residents wouldn't be terribly interested in going to Gatineau for a CPL game, simply because they aren't terribly interested in ever going to Gatineau. But it's not as though the Gatineau Olympiques are doing that much worse than the 67s for attendance at the moment (roughly ~2.5k vs ~3.5k, though the 67s have in the past got as high as ~9k. Capacity in Gatineau is ~4k while Ottawa is almost 10k).

I would also argue that some of us, myself for example, would be more interested in getting season tickets to see a Gatineau team play Halifax, Hamilton, Edmonton, etc than seeing the much closer (I live in Old Ottawa South) Fury play Bethlehem and NY Red Bulls II. Playing around with schedules to ensure that the two teams are not at home on the same night, ideally the same weekend, would also encourage fans to go to both games.

At the end of the day I am not saying that this is going to happen. I am, however, saying that it is theoretically possible and could be a success even with the Fury around (more so if the Fury are also in the CPL of course).

As stated, my hour plus travel time was based on transit travel time. I’m not aware of any location in Gatineau close enough to a bridge that could accommodate a 5-10000 seat stadium and associated parking so it would have to rely on a significant amount of people using public transit.

How often do you actually cross the river?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

As stated, my hour plus travel time was based on transit travel time. I’m not aware of any location in Gatineau close enough to a bridge that could accommodate a 5-10000 seat stadium and associated parking so it would have to rely on a significant amount of people using public transit.

How often do you actually cross the river?

Rarely, maybe 4 or 5 times a year? Though I should note I don't drive, otherwise I'd go hike in the Gatineaus a lot more often. I'd still be in for season tickets for the aforementioned reasons, but again I know it's quite unlikely to happen, that there wouldn't be that many fans going over from Ottawa especially for weeknight games (though Ottawa residents working in Gatineau would be an exception), and so on and so forth. I'm essentially saying there's a non-zero chance it could happen and work, but I'm not about to bet any money on it happening in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't there a park near the ruisseau DE brasserie near the projected Laurier stop on Gatineau/Aylmer's proposed LRT? It is supposed to link to the Rideau stop I believe if all goes to plan (never does) ... maybe this could hold a pop-up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don't think a team in Gatineau works, it would be entirely dependent on western Quebec residents as it would be a nightmare trying to get over the bridges from Ottawa for games.

There is NO traffic on weekends on the bridges. At all. 

Even if it was dependent on Gatineau, the metro area there has nearly 400 000 inhabitants, and a stronger economy than Halifax. I think it would be fine-ish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...