Canada vs Curacao -Rating of Players

Scorpion26

GK- Milan Borjan - 5

He did well to get of his line to get some high balls and was not at fault for goal. He could not do anything about that one goal. Overall did not have to much to do, bet he wishes he had that clean sheet.

CB -Dejan Jakovic- 4

Had a decent game defensively, but I do blame him for that goal. He should of reacted better when ball was centered into box. 

CB- Manjrekar James - 5 

Had a good game defensively, but fell asleep when ball was centered into box. Redeemed himself with goal before half was over. 

LB- Marcel De Jong - 3

Did well defensively, but he was steady and not really an impact going forward. That attempted shot was a wasted moment and should of been patient building up the play.

RB- Fraser Aird - 4

Got beat by his man for that assisted goal. Did alright defensively for the team and did alright overlapping at the fullback position that I do not think he should be playing in the future.

CDM- Samuel Piette - 6

He stopped a lot of build ups created by Curacao. Was alright with his passing in the game and got himself two assist tonight. His play today was much better compared to past games

CDM- Will Johnson - 5

Was able to play well with Piette and Bernier tonight. Mainly interchanging with Bernier and he did create a few chances for positive build ups. Should be captain next time around he still got an engine.

CM- Patrice Bernier - 5

Got many touches and was the captain of the night. He did create a few dangerous moments for Canada. Defensively sound as well through the night and feel he could of brought more to the game still. 

RM- Raheem Edwards - 4

Did not see much of him during his the game. Maybe it was nerves, but feel that he can do better overall. 

LM- David Hoillett - 6

Decent game from him tonight. David had few good set ups that I feel should of been put away by Larin. He was good offensively and I think would be nice to see him at the CF/CAM in the future.

ST- Cyle Larin - 4

Disappointed he did not get to score tonight. Had a few good chances to put away for the team, but did not especially that centered pass from Hoillett. He is going to have to show more, if he wants to remain starter for the Canada. 

Subs-

Juan Cardova- N/A

Mark Anthony-Kaye - N/A

Adam Straith - N/A

Russel Teirbert - 5

Created a good chance for Davies to score and unfortunate to have been offside when AJH scored goal. He played well and help contain Curacao.

Anthony Jackson-Hamel - 7

Man of the Match for me. He was aggressive the moment he was on and got a goal tonight. Shame he did not get more goals, but he is a good option off the bench.

Alphonso Davies- 6.5

The kid did well and attacked the Curacao defense. Smart player and it is just the beginning for him. He had few goal scoring chances and was not lucky to put any away tonight. He keeps this up and we might seem him start for the team sooner rather than later. 

Octavio Zambrano - 6.5

Did well with his substitutions tonight. He will have some work in improving the defense, but the attack is going to be promising. Had his players playing better in the second half of the game and it was noticeable with the increased chances at goal. 

First ever rating... What do you members think?

Addition - Montreal fans/CSA don't know but 6k fans only kind of a bummer. Was there a lack of promotion for this game? Lack of interest by the fans? 

1 minute ago, Ngravs said:

I found both CB's poor defensively for the few chances they faced, not sure who is at fault but when that guy missed from the penalty spot in the first half they were like statues. 

Agreed James get 5 for scoring goal really overall was a 4.

The same defensive weaknesses Aird showed as an RB in Vancouver were on display tonight.  His future should be as midfielder or maybe a wingback if the team goes with three in the back. 

This will be a big GC for Larin.  Last time out he was just emerging as a young player to watch and now he's built up an impressive MLS resume.  But at the end of the day he's got to show that he can put away the fewer chances he'll get with our NT.  His aspirations of a move to brighter lights and bigger places may stall somewhat if he misses gimmes. 

Just now, Scorpion26 said:

RB- Fraser Aird - 4

Got beat by his man for that assisted goal. Did alright defensively for the team and did alright overlapping at the fullback position that I do not think he should be playing in the future.

Just now, shermanator said:

The good:- Aird: Thought he was MOTM for me. Great in possession up the right side, loved how he cut to the middle. Think he should be played further up the pitch.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

The same defensive weaknesses Aird showed as an RB in Vancouver were on display tonight.  His future should be as midfielder or maybe a wingback if the team goes with three in the back.

Well at least we can all agree that Aird needs to be in his natural position as a winger and not as a right-back.

21 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

This will be a big GC for Larin.  Last time out he was just emerging as a young player to watch and now he's built up an impressive MLS resume.  But at the end of the day he's got to show that he can put away the fewer chances he'll get with our NT.  His aspirations of a move to brighter lights and bigger places may stall somewhat if he misses gimmes. 

He's not the only player in the world that does well for club and nothing really for Country. Hopefully it's not that kind of situation for him, but he just got to keep playing hard. Tonight he did get some good services and he just did not put them away. He played well tonight just got to score those goals.

13 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Well at least we can all agree that Aird needs to be in his natural position as a winger and not as a right-back.

Yes we can all agree to that. Well will be tough for him with Hoillet, Edwards, or Davies perhaps ahead of him. 

2 hours ago, Ngravs said:

I found both CB's poor defensively for the few chances they faced, not sure who is at fault but when that guy missed from the penalty spot in the first half they were like statues. 

James wears that one for me.  100%.

21 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

James wears that one for me.  100%.

Agreed. It was 3 v 1 in the box. Jakovic was supporting Aird in case he was dribbled, De Jong had the far post chip covered while James should have had the near bot pass covered which he didn't. Watch the replay as the pass came in he actually stepped back taking himself way out of position. 

4 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

Agreed. It was 3 v 1 in the box. Jakovic was supporting Aird in case he was dribbled, De Jong had the far post chip covered while James should have had the near bot pass covered which he didn't. Watch the replay as the pass came in he actually stepped back taking himself way out of position. 

Aird didn't stop ball. James lost his man. And Jakovic was just floating around in space. And why was the line five yards from goal? 

7 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Borjan - 7

Not much shot stopping but had a lot of other work to do. Solid as a rock on crosses, owned his box, and made one key interception to prevent a certain goal.

Id say that interception was the most impessive. Literally bailed us out. Also played a key long ball to Larin for a 1v1 counter attack. MOTM if Jackson doesn't finish that chance.

1 minute ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Id say that interception was the most impessive. Literally bailed us out. Also played a key long ball to Larin for a 1v1 counter attack. MOTM if Jackson doesn't finish that chance.

Nice when we are debating MOTM due to great performances vs "yeah, he was the least shit of all of them".

11 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

GK- Milan Borjan - 5

He did well to get of his line to get some high balls and was not at fault for goal. He could not do anything about that one goal. Overall did not have to much to do, bet he wishes he had that clean sheet.

CB -Dejan Jakovic- 4

Had a decent game defensively, but I do blame him for that goal. He should of reacted better when ball was centered into box. 

CB- Manjrekar James - 5 

Had a good game defensively, but fell asleep when ball was centered into box. Redeemed himself with goal before half was over. 

LB- Marcel De Jong - 3

Did well defensively, but he was steady and not really an impact going forward. That attempted shot was a wasted moment and should of been patient building up the play.

RB- Fraser Aird - 4

CDM- Samuel Piette - 6

He stopped a lot of build ups created by Curacao. Was alright with his passing in the game and got himself two assist tonight. His play today was much better compared to past games

CDM- Will Johnson - 5

Was able to play well with Piette and Bernier tonight. Mainly interchanging with Bernier and he did create a few chances for positive build ups. Should be captain next time around he still got an engine.

CM- Patrice Bernier - 5

Got many touches and was the captain of the night. He did create a few dangerous moments for Canada. Defensively sound as well through the night and feel he could of brought more to the game still. 

RM- Raheem Edwards - 4

Did not see much of him during his the game. Maybe it was nerves, but feel that he can do better overall. 

LM- David Hoillett - 6

Decent game from him tonight. David had few good set ups that I feel should of been put away by Larin. He was good offensively and I think would be nice to see him at the CF/CAM in the future.

ST- Cyle Larin - 4

Disappointed he did not get to score tonight. Had a few good chances to put away for the team, but did not especially that centered pass from Hoillett. He is going to have to show more, if he wants to remain starter for the Canada. 

Subs-

Juan Cardova- N/A

Mark Anthony-Kaye - N/A

Adam Straith - N/A

Russel Teirbert - 5

Created a good chance for Davies to score and unfortunate to have been offside when AJH scored goal. He played well and help contain Curacao.

Man of the Match for me. He was aggressive the moment he was on and got a goal tonight. Shame he did not get more goals, but he is a good option off the bench.

Alphonso Davies- 6.5

The kid did well and attacked the Curacao defense. Smart player and it is just the beginning for him. He had few goal scoring chances and was not lucky to put any away tonight. He keeps this up and we might seem him start for the team sooner rather than later. 

Octavio Zambrano - 6.5

Did well with his substitutions tonight. He will have some work in improving the defense, but the attack is going to be promising. Had his players playing better in the second half of the game and it was noticeable with the increased chances at goal. 

First ever rating... What do you members think?

Addition - Montreal fans/CSA don't know but 6k fans only kind of a bummer. Was there a lack of promotion for this game? Lack of interest by the fans? 

You know 6 is the average rating right? Plenty of those players you listed below 6 played atleast average

I always wonder about the scale.  Is 10 like Messi/Buffon level, or is it Canada bell-curved where 10 is as good as we would expect a Canadian player to play?  If it is the former, I think we may need to recalibrate, and if it is the latter, I don't understand how someone can be given a 3 or a 4 yet it is claimed that they did well/alright.  3 = 30% which is a fucking miserable failure by any normal metric.

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Players who were notably good: Davies, Aird (2nd half), Piette, AJH, Teibert, Borjan, Johnson (1st half).

Players who were notably bad: Bernier, Jakovic, James, De Jong.

The others didn't jump off the page either way.

I would agree with this assessment, but would downgrade Piette to didn't jump off the page (other than his assist, though I guess not being noticeable is not bad for a CDM), and I would upgrade Bernier to didn't jump off the page rather than bad

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I would agree with this assessment, but would downgrade Piette to didn't jump off the page (other than his assist, though I guess not being noticeable is not bad for a CDM), and I would upgrade Bernier to didn't jump off the page rather than bad

Fair enough. I feel like Piette came into the game more as it went on, and was involved in both goals (credited with an 'assist', for whatever that's worth, on both). Bernier didn't seem to link up well with his teammates as I would have expected from a veteran who is usually an excellent passer, but I suppose much of that is down to unfamiliarity with his teammates.

I'll also admit a bias to those who just happened to be on the pitch for the last 30 minutes when Canada was running the show completely.

I also think it is the nature of CDM to not be spectacular.  They are meant to be solid - not flashy.  Thus a really good performance can slip under the radar in a way that doesn't happen in other positions.  I can remember a number of important tackles he made, so I think he did pretty well overall.

Davies and AJH showed no fear and really attacked, something we are not used to seeing and it was wonderful!  Both need to be heavily involved in the GC either as starters or first off the bench. I'm glad AJH got all those FC montreal games last year to develop. CB is very shaky (surprise) but at least James can be a threat on set pieces.  Edwards looked like a first timer out there, but he deserves more chances to duplicate what he is doing with TFC.  Piette gets 2 assists off winning a 50/50 challenge that rolls to a teammate and knocking over the keeper in the box for a uncalled foul.  

Best part of the game was the fact we went for it in the second half instead of sitting back and playing 6 CB like we had been doing.  If this is the way OZZIE is going to have them playing, then I am on board 100%.  

16 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

GK- Milan Borjan - 5

CB -Dejan Jakovic- 4

CB- Manjrekar James - 5 

LB- Marcel De Jong - 3

RB- Fraser Aird - 4

CDM- Samuel Piette - 6

CDM- Will Johnson - 5

CM- Patrice Bernier - 5

RM- Raheem Edwards - 4

LM- David Hoillett - 6

ST- Cyle Larin - 4

Subs-

Juan Cardova- N/A

Mark Anthony-Kaye - N/A

Adam Straith - N/A

Russel Teirbert - 5

Alphonso Davies- 6.5

Your average rating is 4.96/10. So, an F!

To me these ratings are low (this is a 10 scale, right?) considering Canada beat a team ranked 40 places higher than it and dominated the 2nd half in doing so.

I'd say Aird in particular needs to be higher. Yes, he is obviously a bit too shakey defensively to be a true RB, but in the second half (and once in the first as well) he was very very good going forward and driving the play. He has some great offensive instincts and isn't afraid to run at defences, which we saw. 4/10 (a dismal failure) is too low IMO.

Since everyone is complaining about the ratings being too low on a 1-10 scale, here s mine with the Kicker 1-6 (6 = horrible) scale:

Borjan 3.5

MDJ 5

James 4.5

Jakovic 4.5

Aird 3.5

Bernier 4

Johnson 3.5

Piette 3

Edwards 4

Junior 3.5

Larin 4

Subs

AJH 2.5

Teibert 3.5

Davies 3

Others N/A

Borjan - 6.5

Not much chance on the goal, no misplays, and even a nice interception to break up a cross in the second half. Was his usual self.

Aird - 6 

No major defensive lapses, but did get outmuscled once and beat out wide another time. Still, he was able to put in a few quality crosses and beat opponents with the ball at his feet. You can tell that playing RB restrains him, as he wants to drive directly towards goal, but also doesn't want to get caught upfield in transition, which is fair.

I still think his best position is as a winger.

Jakovic - 6

Like Aird, no major defensive mistakes, but never made any crucial interventions either. It was a very standard performance from the NY Cosmos man. His composure on the ball and short passing make him a strong candidate for a starting role heading into Gold Cup.

James - 6

James gets the same grade despite having a more up and down game than his centre back partner. Didn't get tight enough on the goal, but made up for it. Outside of that, his short passing is good, but his tendency to hold onto the ball too long crept in a few times. Concerning, but I still think he's in the conversation for a starting role.

De Jong - 5.5

There was some good, some bad, and just a little ugly. The good is that he is relatively composed on the ball and can switch play with his long passing. The bad is that our build up often dies when it goes through him. His vertical long passing is often misplaced and sometimes takes more touches than necessary, having to go backward again once pressure is invited. 

Piette - 6

Not a bad evening from Sam. His passing and blocking of passing lanes is decent. Not many misplaced passes. Like the rest of the team, needs to speed up the play. Didn't do much to get noticed either way which is a good sign for a CDM

Bernier - 6.5

Did what I expected but otherwise very average. Again, speed of play needs to be higher, but he brought a calming influence to the midfield. I have no problem with him starting in Gold Cup.

Johnson - 7

Outside of Davies and perhaps AJH, Johnson brought the most energy and drive in his performance and looked like the same midfielder we are accustomed to seeing in MLS: competitive, confident and tenacious. 

Edwards - 5.5

A little disappointed from what I saw of Raheem, but it wasn't a disastrous debut. I know people are going to say he played out of position, but that doesn't change the fact he was unable to create anything. As an attacker that is your job, whether you are use to playing in that role or not. I still think he makes the Gold Cup squad, but he never did anything to warrant a starting spot, at least at RW

Hoilett - 6

Although Junior did manage to create chances, he also wasted several of them, namely the cross from Johnson which he took down with his chest (rather than strike first time) and the finish off the side netting after doing so well to dribble past two defenders. He did provide several good crosses in both halves, but looked gassed in the second half and far less vibrant than the Scotland friendly. He is in the off season and it showed. Does not look like his normal confident self, as evidenced by the manner in which took the penalty.

Larin - 5.5

I am tempted to give Larin a 6 but missing that chance in front of goal is just not something we can afford. His hold up play is getting better, but his one-on-one abilities need work. Looked a little more lethargic in those situations than usual. Really think it's a toss up between him, Cavallini and Jackson-Hamel right now for a starting spot.

Speaking of which..

Jackson-Hamel - 7.5

Scored the winner, assisted on the goal that never was, and was just brimming with confidence throughout. I think his form from the Impact really translated last night. Like I said, I think he has a real shot at starting at the Gold Cup, or at least logging some heavy minutes. 

Davies - 7

Solid debut. Showed why he is so highly rated in Vancouver. Brought a swagger that was sorely lacking. I am glad his game is direct, direct, direct in a team surrounded by a bunch of guys precariously passing the ball back and forth. I hope it rubs off on the others. I think he'll start the next match, despite his age.

Kaye - 6

Not much time to assess, but didn't do too bad out there. I can see why Zambrano likes him as I said before. I hope the exposure helps him find an MLS club. I think his technique is underrated.

Teibert - 6.5

Slightly better than average from Rusty. Did everything he should and added a little extra. Didn't seem as constrained as he typically is in Vancouver. He's only 24 but he appears to lose more and more pace every time I watch him. Perhaps he was always this slow. At least he is quick over short distances, has a good engine and is a general pest for opponents. Reliable passer as well, at least in terms of short passing.

Cordova - 6

Didn't have much time but you can see what kind of player he is going to be for us. I worry about his lack of pace, but I think positionally he'll be better than Aird, while providing similar service from RB

Overall - 5.5

We got the win, but our speed of play is way, way, way too slow. I don't know if it's the new system, new players, weak opponents, or all of the above, but we really need to set the tone early with quick play and less touches. If that improves (and the finishing), we'll be in good shape. If not, then I worry it will be another quick exit next month.

Archived