Canada vs Curacao -Rating of Players

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Your average rating is 4.96/10. So, an F!

To me these ratings are low (this is a 10 scale, right?) considering Canada beat a team ranked 40 places higher than it and dominated the 2nd half in doing so.

I'd say Aird in particular needs to be higher. Yes, he is obviously a bit too shakey defensively to be a true RB, but in the second half (and once in the first as well) he was very very good going forward and driving the play. He has some great offensive instincts and isn't afraid to run at defences, which we saw. 4/10 (a dismal failure) is too low IMO.

Overall I do think the team could of played better and that's what I got from the game. I don't feel many had a complete game and hence my score. How would you rank them, I'm open to see your rating. 

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Any thoughts on Zambrano's work in the first game?

-Attack looked better in the second half

-His timing for subs was good

-He needs to give Larin a supporting cast

-He needs to find a replacement for de Jong

Well it's a step in the right direction so far with OZ. Hope he keeps pushing their attacking abilities, but still have a good defensive base. Will be interesting to see what happens for players like Henry and others injured or not yet called in. Lack of game, but at least we're a few weeks until Gold Cup, however more games is a must.

I'd like to watch the game from the TV angle and not from the behind-the-net angle as it's so hard to get an accurate sense of the play. But it looked to me like Larin made several far post runs when the ball was on the wing but above the top of the 18 and in possession of De Jong or Aird. To me, that is the kind of situation that is screaming for a far-post cross to Larin's head, but the pass either wasn't attempted at all (even when the ball wasn't very pressured) or the pass was attempted on the ground and got intercepted.

There must have been three or four players who gave up a ton of interceptions. I'd like to see the passing stats.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Aird - 6 

No major defensive lapses, but did get outmuscled once and beat out wide another time. Still, he was able to put in a few quality crosses and beat opponents with the ball at his feet. You can tell that playing RB restrains him, as he wants to drive directly towards goal, but also doesn't want to get caught upfield in transition, which is fair.

I still think his best position is as a winger. I worry it will be another quick exit next month.

He also got caught of position in the 36th minute when the Curacao left mid ghosted behind him but couldn't quite reach that long diagonal cross.  I'm just not comfortable with Aird in that spot going into the tourney.  I thought his best play with the Caps was when he was at RM providing defensive support for his RB and then supplying dangerous crosses into the forwards.  He seems like a right footed version of Tissot.

27 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Been on vacation so didn't watch the game. 

How did Cordova look? Could he be an answer for us?

Cordova only played the last 10 minutes or so, and instantly earned a corner when he came on. Not enough time to make proper judgement though.

On 2017-6-14 at 9:48 AM, dyslexic nam said:

I always wonder about the scale.  Is 10 like Messi/Buffon level, or is it Canada bell-curved where 10 is as good as we would expect a Canadian player to play?  If it is the former, I think we may need to recalibrate, and if it is the latter, I don't understand how someone can be given a 3 or a 4 yet it is claimed that they did well/alright.  3 = 30% which is a fucking miserable failure by any normal metric.

22 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Your average rating is 4.96/10. So, an F!

To me these ratings are low (this is a 10 scale, right?) considering Canada beat a team ranked 40 places higher than it and dominated the 2nd half in doing so.

I'd say Aird in particular needs to be higher. Yes, he is obviously a bit too shakey defensively to be a true RB, but in the second half (and once in the first as well) he was very very good going forward and driving the play. He has some great offensive instincts and isn't afraid to run at defences, which we saw. 4/10 (a dismal failure) is too low IMO.

The impression I am getting is that you aren't familiar with this kind of a rating system. If you are familiar and just don't agree with the ratings, so be it. In case you aren't familiar, here is an explanation I've ripped from rednationonline.ca (the first place I saw ratings like this).

"The key to the ratings, as seems to be the logic on a scale of 1-10, is not to view it as a “grade”, as in a 6 would be a 60 or a C. The formula is that each player begins the game with a 5 and is the equilibrium from which their performance either improves or degrades moving in increments of .5."

So basically, you can think of a 5 as a "meets expectations" or something like that. You've got to be positive to get a 6 or very good to get a 7. I'm not sure if I've ever seen an 8 (although I don't see this kind of thing a whole lot) and I'm sure I've never seen a 9 or 10 (and probably not a 1 or 2 for that matter. Maybe it should be a scale of 6, but where's the fun in that.

On 2017-6-13 at 10:20 PM, Scorpion26 said:

Russel Teirbert - 5

Created a good chance for Davies to score and unfortunate to have been offside when AJH scored goal. He played well and help contain Curacao.

For the most part I agree with your rankings. I haven't been to the game thread yet so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but AJH's called back goal took a deflection off of Teibert. So it wasn't just a case of Teibert being in the line of fire, he was hit with the ball, and from one angle they showed it on TV it looked like AJH's shot wasn't going to be on target before it hit Teibert.

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

For the most part I agree with your rankings. I haven't been to the game thread yet so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but AJH's called back goal took a deflection off of Teibert. So it wasn't just a case of Teibert being in the line of fire, he was hit with the ball, and from one angle they showed it on TV it looked like AJH's shot wasn't going to be on target before it hit Teibert.

Oh yes you're correct Kent. I thought I had mentioned it guess it stayed in my mind and not typed in. 

I am excited to see them play in the Gold Cup and hopefully the full team.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

The impression I am getting is that you aren't familiar with this kind of a rating system. If you are familiar and just don't agree with the ratings, so be it. In case you aren't familiar, here is an explanation I've ripped from rednationonline.ca (the first place I saw ratings like this).

"The key to the ratings, as seems to be the logic on a scale of 1-10, is not to view it as a “grade”, as in a 6 would be a 60 or a C. The formula is that each player begins the game with a 5 and is the equilibrium from which their performance either improves or degrades moving in increments of .5."

So basically, you can think of a 5 as a "meets expectations" or something like that. You've got to be positive to get a 6 or very good to get a 7. I'm not sure if I've ever seen an 8 (although I don't see this kind of thing a whole lot) and I'm sure I've never seen a 9 or 10 (and probably not a 1 or 2 for that matter. Maybe it should be a scale of 6, but where's the fun in that.

I'll be honest - that makes no sense to me.  A 10 point scale where no one ever gets above an 8?  Mmmmokay.  And a game whe we produced a lot of offense, and beat a team above us (by a reasonably wide margin) in FIFA rankings and could have had a much larger margin of victory - and that warrants an average rating of below average?  That just doesn't jive for me.  

No idea what kind of authority Red Nation Online has in terms of defining a 10 point scoring scale, but I suspect the system outlined is not as universal as implied.

45 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I'll be honest - that makes no sense to me.  A 10 point scale where no one ever gets above an 8?  Mmmmokay.  And a game whe we produced a lot of offense, and beat a team above us (by a reasonably wide margin) in FIFA rankings and could have had a much larger margin of victory - and that warrants an average rating of below average?  That just doesn't jive for me.  

No idea what kind of authority Red Nation Online has in terms of defining a 10 point scoring scale, but I suspect the system outlined is not as universal as implied.

Well, in certain university classes students rarely gets 80's or 90's +. Those high marks are for special cases.

I'm ok with a rating who reserves the higher marks (8,9,10) for truly exceptional performances. Look at the kicker.de rating for Bundesliga games, you almost never see a 1 given and in a lot of games you might not even see a 2.

As long as the ratings make global sense (the best players being given the higher marks and the weakest the lower), I'm ok with it.

10 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Well, in certain university classes students rarely gets 80's or 90's +. Those high marks are for special cases.

I'm ok with a rating who reserves the higher marks (8,9,10) for truly exceptional performances. Look at the kicker.de rating for Bundesliga games, you almost never see a 1 given and in a lot of games you might not even see a 2.

As long as the ratings make global sense (the best players being given the higher marks and the weakest the lower), I'm ok with it.

I teach university and class averages below 70 are considered low. In my classes, the averages are always over 80, but I'm a pretty easy prof I guess!

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am really not sure how widespread this kind of scoring is, but I know I have seen it one or two other places. I can't remember where though, perhaps this forum is one but I'm not sure.

19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The system RNO outlined is the system I am familiar with from the major sporting publications in Italy. Don't think that scale is universal though.

Archived