CPL General

37 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Just found out about the cancellation of the Eusebio Cup in Hamilton due to low ticket sales. This result has probably given PB some pause. Someone should bring up that question at the "Footy Talks" meeting. Why do I have a feeling that any announcement of the start of the league is now going to be pushed back to May 2018?

While officially, this wasn't the reason, I would suspect it had something to do with it. $50 patio seats and $85 second deck seats with a discount were simply too pricey for anyone's blood. They were literally twice the cost of full price Ti-Cat tickets.

I put most of the blame at Benfica's doorstep on this one. They were the ones who pulled out, and I would guess that they were the ones who were insistent on playing on temp grass instead of turf, which ballooned the cost of this event. That said, the promoter (who was not the Ti-Cats or the CanPL) was apparently very difficult to work with.

I would wager Benfica wasn't going to get the profit they wanted out of it, and pulled out.

Edited by -Hammer-

10 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Where did you hear this? The only official announcement I saw said that Benfica cancelled and Rangers were looking at taking legal action against them. 

It was confirmed as slow ticket sales.  I saw a tweet about it with the official statement from the organizers but it was a day or two ago.  I'm working now and can't look for it but if I can find it later I'll throw it up here.

edit-When I say "confirmed" I mean via what the organizers are claiming

Edited by Rheo

5 hours ago, Rheo said:

So connecting the dots shows we don't know anything for sure and can only speculate at the time as per usual on here :) 

Could you quit posting this same statement ten times a day? The whole point of this forum is to talk about the CPL, we can all judge and debate for ourselves how credible or not credible assertions are.

Just now, Dub Narcotic said:

Could you quit posting this same statement ten times a day? The whole point of this forum is to talk about the CPL, we can all judge and debate for ourselves how credible or not credible assertions are.

I'll post what I like, thanks for the feedback though.  Cheers

18 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

If you could work towards contributing interesting and/or intelligent comments it would help a lot. Looking forward to your progress.

Well when I see him post the same basic argument worded differently multiple times, I don't feel it's wrong to post  saying I disagree with it.  Somehow missed the "ten times" I expressed this. 

I feel I post a lot of relevant stuff on here.  If you disagree, sorry to hear 

Edited by Rheo
taking out needless swipe

6 hours ago, Rheo said:

I seem to recall a few random friendlies in the US in the last few years.

Yup. A few indeed.

August 2012: Trinidad and Tobago - Fort Lauderdale
January 2013: Denmark - Tucson
January 2013: USA - Houston (OK maybe these last 2 don't really count since we played USA and it was 2 games in that one camp)
October 2014: Colombia - Harrison
January 2015: Iceland (2 games) - Orlando
March 2015: Guatemala - Fort Lauderdale
October 2015: Ghana - Washington DC
February 2016: USA - Carson (again, this one wasn't a neutral site)

That's 9 friendlies in the USA since August 2012. For comparison, since then we have had...
4 in Canada, Austria
2 in Morocco, Qatar, Spain
1 in South Korea, Scotland, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Panama, Slovenia, Czech Republic, England

So a quick recap, 9 in USA, less than half that in Canada. Austria has hosted the same number of CMNT friendlies as we have had at home. 1 friendly in Central America and 2 in the Caribbean (I assume Bermuda counts?).

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yup. A few indeed.

August 2012: Trinidad and Tobago - Fort Lauderdale
January 2013: Denmark - Tucson
January 2013: USA - Houston (OK maybe these last 2 don't really count since we played USA and it was 2 games in that one camp)
October 2014: Colombia - Harrison
January 2015: Iceland (2 games) - Orlando
March 2015: Guatemala - Fort Lauderdale
October 2015: Ghana - Washington DC
February 2016: USA - Carson (again, this one wasn't a neutral site)

That's 9 friendlies in the USA since August 2012. For comparison, since then we have had...
4 in Canada, Austria
2 in Morocco, Qatar, Spain
1 in South Korea, Scotland, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Panama, Slovenia, Czech Republic, England

So a quick recap, 9 in USA, less than half that in Canada. Austria has hosted the same number of CMNT friendlies as we have had at home. 1 friendly in Central America and 2 in the Caribbean (I assume Bermuda counts?).

TBF some of those USA games (such as Iceland and Guatemala) were basically closed door friendlies so I doubt SUM was involved. Games aginst Denmark, Ghana and Colombia were def SUM linked games.

Also Puerto Rico counts as USA so 10 and yes Bermuda counts as CFU

Think Colombia is the only one where there was scope for a reasonable sized crowd to cover a generous appearance fee as is also the case with the El Salvador game. That's the type of friendly game the CSA needs to be playing to rake in some cash. In the past the CMNT has gone as far as playing in Libya if there were some bucks to be made on an international date.

8 minutes ago, matty said:

TBF some of those USA games (such as Iceland and Guatemala) were basically closed door friendlies so I doubt SUM was involved. Games aginst Denmark, Ghana and Colombia were def SUM linked games.

Also Puerto Rico counts as USA so 10 and yes Bermuda counts as CFU

Denmark? Really? I agree with the closed door friendlies argument (although I would rather we play in front of a home crowd or our opponents home crowd than behind closed doors). Those closed door ones are usually in the winter months, and that's actually why I included the months to be a bit more transparent about that.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Denmark? Really? I agree with the closed door friendlies argument (although I would rather we play in front of a home crowd or our opponents home crowd than behind closed doors). Those closed door ones are usually in the winter months, and that's actually why I included the months to be a bit more transparent about that.

Yep. Given the venue being an MLS preseason hot spot, SUM helping to set it up seems likely. It's not all about making every game that happens high profile.

So in the space of a few days:

SUM opens an office in Toronto

The four World Cup bid cities get announced with it almost certainly being the three MLS cities that will ultimately be selected

The CSA prez tweets this

People need to have a look at which way the wind is blowing and modify their narratives about CanPL and MLS being rivals accordingly

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So in the space of a few days:

SUM opens an office in Toronto

The four World Cup bid cities get announced with it almost certainly being the three MLS cities that will ultimately be selected

The CSA prez tweets this

People need to have a look at which way the wind is blowing and modify their narratives about CanPL and MLS being rivals accordingly

You're mixing 2 separate issues here. Nothing in this tweet proves your point either

Edited by Ansem

22 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Almost like they said they'll only announce when they are 100% ready :P

It's a black box, no assumptions should be made based on no news, other than 2018 slowly becoming less and less likely 

To build on your comment, just because nothing has been made public, doesn't mean that things aren't happening.

Myself, I've heard things that have kept my excitement level high despite the lack of official news. Of course, the last time I attempted to spread some excitement with no details it was blown out of proportion by people here.

CanPL fills in the smaller markets USL style like Saskatoon and Halifax that MLS don't want rather than trying to be a rival D1 as may well have been the plan at one point back circa 2014. Only difference really is the absence of reserve teams that PB has hinted in podcasts could be revisited as an issue once they get firmly established.

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

CanPL fills in the smaller markets USL style like Saskatoon and Halifax that MLS don't want rather than trying to be a rival D1 as may well have been the plan at one point back circa 2014. Only difference really is the absence of reserve teams that PB has hinted in podcasts could be revisited as an issue once they get firmly established.

I think I've listened to everything he's done and I don't remember this. Can you please provide which podcast episode he mentioned this.

BBTB just stop with this issue. You've got nothing here and are really, really reaching.

The office opening likely means nothing for CPL.
The list of host cities likely means nothing for CPL unless Edmonton is picked
And the pres tweeting that LITERALLY means nothing here

11 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Don't know about you but MLS only being present in 3 main metro markets who account for 1/3 of the country (we all know that a low amount of people within that 1/3 follows MLS) leaves the other 2/3 (24M Canadians) up for grab for CPL & unopposed by MLS.

What's so hard to grasp about that tactic?:rolleyes:

Edited by Ansem

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Dude if you wanna get techy here they have literally announced one of their founding clubs will be in the same media market as an MLS team. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_media_market#Canada