CPL General

We need CPL to stay as far away from this amateur old-school CSL types as much as possible.

I'm sure they can contribute lots with the coaching and other on-field stuff, but in terms of marketing and ownership off-field, they need to be repelled as much as possible. That website (cool that you found it Rheo) looks as amateur as they come.

If possible I would love to see us start off the league with:

1. A team from the GTA, whether it's Mississagua or Vaughan or another idea could be Markham

2. Ottawa Fury

3. Halifax

4. Quebec City

5. Hamilton

6. Winnipeg

7. Calgary

8. FC Edmonton

9. Regina

10. Surrey

Having teams in these areas should not have many problems drawing fans due to the populations of these places. Of course there are concerns about the facilities and ownership groups but with these cities it also leaves room for the 3 teams in MLS to make the switch in the future. Maybe I'm the only one thinking this way? 

33 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

That website (cool that you found it Rheo) looks as amateur as they come.

I disagree, "The pitch to bring a Canadian Premier League Soccer Franchise Team to Brampton is powered and supported by the tens of thousands of sports fans and Businesses in the Brampton community. All of Brampton members and or Residents it will benefit. But most importantly, it’s powered by you. " is definitely professionally written.

19 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Until the City of Brampton corroborates their claim on the financing of "said stadium", I don't buy it. I know Brampton City Council are a joke but to have some no name outline their policies before they go public with it is suspicious, this is me politely saying... C'MON :rolleyes:

When I said questionable, I just meant it was vague with a lot generalities on the page.  Kind of reminds me of Moncton where it's just the local soccer group saying they'd be great because of the stadium but without any money behind it (that we know of)

Edited by Rheo

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Maybe he's pretending to know more than he actually does and is trying to use that to get people he thinks have genuine inside information they are not sharing to spill the beans when they confirm or deny his fake info, or maybe I am crediting him with being being more Machiavellian than he is capable of given I have never met the guy?

Yea I think you are. Unless he's playing a super long game I don't see it. Also he's already fucked up royally

51 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea I think you are. Unless he's playing a super long game I don't see it. Also he's already fucked up royally

Lol, I sat next to him and Ansem the time we all met at Sallywags and although he seemed like the excitable type, I thought he was a nice guy overall.

56 minutes ago, yothat said:

not two teams in sask? 

Depends on the success from Regina, hopefully every team that enters the league is successful and if that's the case I think Saskatoon should enter as well as possibly Vaughan (but have Vaughan play out of York/Woodbridge/or Maple as well as Laval. 

I know York University is  in Toronto but it's literally right on the border of Vaughan/Toronto and I think would be pretty cool for a Vaughan team. Stadium capacity is roughly 13,000 I think

3 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

I know York University is  in Toronto but it's literally right on the border of Vaughan/Toronto and I think would be pretty cool for a Vaughan team. Stadium capacity is roughly 13,000 I think

Are suggesting the CPL use a university stadium in Toronto?

pregame_field.jpg

Home of the 2014 & 2015 U-SPORT Champion York Lions Men’s Soccer Team, Alumni Stadium is lined for Soccer, Football and Field Hockey.  Alumni Stadium also played host to the 2015 and 2017 Toronto Argonauts training camps.  Constructed in 1995, the field was upgraded in 2013 to a FieldTurf One-Star FIFA rated turf, one of the best available playing surfaces.

YORK ALUMNI FIELD

• CFL Spec Football Field
  • FIFA Spec Soccer Field
  • Bleacher seating for 2,500 fans + room for an additional 2,000 on grass hill
  • 6 Team Rooms
  • Press Box
  • Meeting Room/Lounge

It's the tennis stadium that seats about 12.5k

Edited by to70

6 hours ago, to70 said:

pregame_field.jpg

Home of the 2014 & 2015 U-SPORT Champion York Lions Men’s Soccer Team, Alumni Stadium is lined for Soccer, Football and Field Hockey.  Alumni Stadium also played host to the 2015 and 2017 Toronto Argonauts training camps.  Constructed in 1995, the field was upgraded in 2013 to a FieldTurf One-Star FIFA rated turf, one of the best available playing surfaces.

YORK ALUMNI FIELD

• CFL Spec Football Field
  • FIFA Spec Soccer Field
  • Bleacher seating for 2,500 fans + room for an additional 2,000 on grass hill
  • 6 Team Rooms
  • Press Box
  • Meeting Room/Lounge

I'm sorry but it's not a good stadium for CPL for reasons ranging from location, to possibly better nearby stadia to the fact it's a university building in 2017.

1 hour ago, matty said:

I'm sorry but it's not a good stadium for CPL for reasons ranging from location, to possibly better nearby stadia to the fact it's a university building in 2017.

While I think there's a number of potential issues, I don't agree that location is one of them. It's a five minute walk from two different subway stations (Pioneer Village and York), with ample parking on campus. I am a little biased as I teach/study at York but it's a very central location for the York region, and is very accessible from downtown. It definitely doesn't have the issues associated with Ontario Soccer Centre.

Just now, yellowsweatygorilla said:

While I think there's a number of potential issues, I don't agree that location is one of them. It's a five minute walk from two different subway stations (Pioneer Village and York), with ample parking on campus. I am a little biased as I teach/study at York but it's a very central location for the York region, and is very accessible from downtown. It definitely doesn't have the issues associated with Ontario Soccer Centre.

I agree isn't have OSC issues but OSC can be built upon and improved for the most part (location is still a pain), York however really can't because it's issues go too far beyond the building.

And as for subways it's still a pain for a lot of people including number of your fellow York teachers and students (including those who live downtown). 

They can't wait much longer if 2018 is going to be a go as they will need to be actively recruiting in the upcoming transfer window if it is as that is when most North American based players make decisions about where they are going to be for the next 12 months.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They can't wait much longer if 2018 is going to be a go as they will need to be actively recruiting in the upcoming transfer window if it is as that is when most North American based players make decisions about where they are going to be for the next 12 months.

I'm kind of assuming that 2018 is a bust at this point seeing as a lot of your top L1O players have decided to sign overseas for next year.

Those guys probably have more solid information on a start date than anyone here does.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:45 PM, TFC2017 said:

If possible I would love to see us start off the league with:

1. A team from the GTA, whether it's Mississagua or Vaughan or another idea could be Markham

2. Ottawa Fury

3. Halifax

4. Quebec City

5. Hamilton

6. Winnipeg

7. Calgary

8. FC Edmonton

9. Regina

10. Surrey

Having teams in these areas should not have many problems drawing fans due to the populations of these places. Of course there are concerns about the facilities and ownership groups but with these cities it also leaves room for the 3 teams in MLS to make the switch in the future. Maybe I'm the only one thinking this way? 

Dropping KW. TYPICAL. 

10 hours ago, L.MODRIC said:

I wouldn't be surprised if in the very near future CPL announces its official kick-off date

Seems legit. I'm going to assume this means Luka Modric is going to be the first player signing for CPL, likely for Hamilton.

3 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm kind of assuming that 2018 is a bust at this point seeing as a lot of your top L1O players have decided to sign overseas for next year.

Those guys probably have more solid information on a start date than anyone here does.

Have they signed anything yet also how many have decided?