CPL General

12 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

R ready built stadium in Spruce Meadows? Is the bad English an intentional safety net incase this rumour goes no where? A way the writer can save face by telling us what he actually mean't after the fact? 

Should I be interpreting it that the Calgary ownership group ARE READY TO BUILD A STADIUM IN SPRUCE MEADOWS? 

Edited by Macksam

35 minutes ago, Macksam said:

R ready built stadium in Spruce Meadows? Is the bad English an intentional safety incase this rumour goes no where? A way the writer can save face by telling us what he actually mean't after the fact? 

Should I be interpreting it that the Calgary ownership group ARE READY TO BUILD A STADIUM IN SPRUCE MEADOWS? 

Later Tweet also has built.

10 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Anybody know how credible @mlsrwriters is? He seems to have spit-balled in the past and has no history of breaking soild info.

He's Pat. Nice guy. Haven't seem him on here in ages since we told him to quit spamming with every little post and unknowingly causing someone to get sort of doxed. He does interact with guys like Totz and Rollins on Twitter a lot so l can see him chatting with Sandor.

Edited by matty

5 minutes ago, matty said:

He's Pat. Nice guy. Haven't seem him on here in ages since we told him to quit spamming with every little post and unknowingly causing someone to get sort of doxed. He does interact with guys like Totz on Twitter a lot so l can see him chatting with Sandor.

Sandor follows him on Twitter, so they do know each other on some level. Still, given Pat's propensity to inflate old/incomplete information into BREAKING BOOM stories, I'll wait for Sandor's word on this one. 

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

Sandor follows him on Twitter, so they do know each other on some level. Still, given Pat's propensity to inflate old/incomplete information into BREAKING BOOM stories, I'll wait for Sandor's word on this one. 

Good plan, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because I honestly I don't see him just making stuff up. I do think he's fucked over Sandor (and didn't realize it), so I'm doubtful he's gonna break anything else. But hey he got a scoop and ran with it. If true he'll always be the guy that broke Calgary.

8 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Not sure how valid but:

I saw this but didn't consider it too valid so didn't bring it up here.  Funny thing was someone earlier in the day had tweeted that they had heard inside info on Calgary but didn't elaborate, and then mlswriters blasted him for just teasing info.  Was a weird exchange

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...but his understanding of what was said may not match what he was actually told, so we may be into Chinese whispers territory at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers

Could be but given he is claiming to haven't got this DIRECTLY from Sandor (who I think we'd agree is reliable on Alberta happenings) and how basic the message is (Calgary group, 2018-original 6 goal, 9k stadium in Spruce Meadows) I don't think we're dealing with a radical misrepresentation

My main concern is that this all got out premature and something is gonna get fucked

Edited by matty

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The only bit I'm somewhat wary of is the 2018 bit, if it isn't CSEG that is involved as the need for a stadium build seems to imply. The timeline seems too tight even for a pop-up if permissions haven't been obtained completely under the radar and it is not obvious what the interim arrangement would be.

That is the part I'm wondering about. The fields seem to be there so it might be a matter of just temp building stands or painting lines when not in use (location is the weirdest part). Not sure if they are, but if Spruce Meadows are private that would keep this quiet.

Edited by matty

2 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Considering how cautious this league has been on advancing their whole existence up until now, I'd be utterly shocked if they're still working towards a 2018 launch.  Would seem completely out of character unless everything behind-the-scenes is far more complete than it would seem.

I would not be shocked if they are further along than it seems and their just waiting and yes 2018 is still the goal according to the Spec.

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

I saw this but didn't consider it too valid so didn't bring it up here.  Funny thing was someone earlier in the day had tweeted that they had heard inside info on Calgary but didn't elaborate, and then mlswriters blasted him for just teasing info.  Was a weird exchange

That was me he blasted on Twitter. I had heard a few rumours about a Calgary bid over the weekend, but I have no idea whether they are accurate or not. You'll notice in the original tweet that I was very careful to not give any details, as again, I have no idea of the accuracy. Nor is it my place to divulge that information.

I would recommend here that everyone completely disregard everything that Pat has tweeted. He has no inside info at all. And now, he's just gone and pissed off all of the people who might have any.

As for what I have heard, don't expect me to share that information. I know this board has a tendency to manipulate any shred of information brought forward to fit whatever narrative they want about the league.

13 minutes ago, shermanator said:

That was me he blasted on Twitter. I had heard a few rumours about a Calgary bid over the weekend, but I have no idea whether they are accurate or not. You'll notice in the original tweet that I was very careful to not give any details, as again, I have no idea of the accuracy. Nor is it my place to divulge that information.

I would recommend here that everyone completely disregard everything that Pat has tweeted. He has no inside info at all. And now, he's just gone and pissed off all of the people who might have any.

The problem is he named his source, that changes a lot of things. If we disregard him then Sandor himself can't be a source on CPL matters outside of Edmonton. Sandor's reaction will be interesting.

As for what I have heard, don't expect me to share that information. I know this board has a tendency to manipulate any shred of information brought forward to fit whatever narrative they want about the league.

Given that Pat's likely fucked up Sandor, good on you.

Edited by matty

I saw those "you aren't man enough" comments...absolutely bizarre 

My guess is that he took that vague implication and projected what he wants to be true onto it. I doubt Sandor would be talking to him, and even if he did, he wouldn't be talking about stadium details

There was nothing wrong with your tweet, found it interesting but with no context (and rightfully so) it's just kind of there.  Honestly just came across it because I search the hashtag on twitter a few times a day out of my own curiosity.

Hopefully Sandor isn't fucked over in this if it's true.  Maybe this Pat is full of it lol.  Kind of glad I don't actually know people who know things.  I want to know but keeping stuff related to this has to be tough.

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

My guess is that he took that vague implication and projected what he wants to be true onto it. I doubt Sandor would be talking to him, and even if he did, he wouldn't be talking about stadium details

Aside from the obliviousness to the action, this doesn't really resemble anything he's done before (there are no ?) and it's way too detailed for his MO.

Also CPL press guys will say a fair bit in private conversation.

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I blocked him after I saw that. I'd be curious to see whether he actually heard that information, or whether he pulled something out of his ass and then claimed that he got the information from a legitimate source. Note that both those tweets are currently deleted.

I guess people can and will make their own conclusions from it, and it looks like they already are.

Anyways, from here on out, if anyone is wondering why there's no information on a Calgary CPL bid, this is a good example of why. Me personally, I will be ignoring all information that isn't from a respected journalist, or someone that I can prove is associated with a bid.

Edited by shermanator

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I blocked him after I saw that. I'd be curious to see whether he actually heard that information, or whether he pulled something out of his ass and then claimed that he got the information from a legitimate source....

Gonna say this. He messaged me with the info like 3 hours before the Tweet. His message had far more details that were mostly generic aside from the Spruce Meadows stuff (that I won't say).

....You'll note that both those tweets are currently deleted, so I guess people can and will make their own conclusions from it.

Yep but he didn't delete his Tweets where he outs Sandor as his source and then gushes about how much he respects him. Haha

Anyways, from here on out, if anyone is wondering why there's no information on a Calgary CPL bid, this is a good example of why.

This is 100% true and I fear it'll impact FCE stuff.

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, matty said:

Gonna say this. He messaged me with the info like 3 hours before the Tweet. His message had far more details that were mostly generic aside from the Spruce Meadows stuff (that I won't say)...

Maybe he's pretending to know more than he actually does and is trying to use that to get people he thinks have genuine inside information they are not sharing to spill the beans when they confirm or deny his fake info, or maybe I am crediting him with being being more Machiavellian than he is capable of given I have never met the guy? It would be very surprising if Calgary wasn't one of PB's six would be stadium builders, if FCE and the Fury are part of the four with stadia in place, so there is a solid basis for the direction he is moving in and it's not difficult to fill in a few more details from there to spin a convincing yarn. If I was Steve Sandor I would just completely ignore the guy, if that's the case, because you lend credibility by responding sometimes.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Brampton CPL site.  

http://www.bdkfc.ca/

No name on who's behind it but doesn't look supporter based.  Lots of details that you'd have to do a bit of research to have it seems.  Interesting for sure...

This part of the blurb makes me wonder on the supporter based side of things: 

...Time is running out, and we need you to join the movement...

and Brampton Dynamic Kickers is a bit odd as a name. Other known CPL groups have yet to reveal a name.

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

and Brampton Dynamic Kickers is a bit odd as a name. Other known CPL groups have yet to reveal a name.

The name is from an old/current club.  A quick Google of it pulled up links of them playing back in 2004 in the Ontario Cup and a Linked in for some guy worked for them 2007-9.

I took the reference to mean that the stadium would benefit the youth side, assuming it existed already.  

Edited by Rheo

That name on linkedin definitely looks familiar. Think he was involved in the CSL about a decade back on the coaching rather than the ownership side of things with the Brampton Stallions.

Edit: here's where the 15,000 seat stadium would be.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7045031,-79.6995454,373m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

One word, parking?

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard