CPL General

In order to cater to the casual fan, playoffs will be a must unfortunately. 

There are a lot of casuals that will go to the games and not understand what the point of the league is, if there are no playoffs. They won't have the European mindset

15 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Also, can we please have diving punished retroactively from the get go. There are going to be a lot of people looking to get into the game that are going to be turned off by the diving

Even though I do think diving should be punished harshly, any mungie cake that tells you they get turned off from the diving is lying and using it as a convenient excuse as to why they don't like the game. The truth is they won't give the game a chance or they're scared of what they might like, sort of like those anti-gay protestors who tend to be closeted homos. Diving happens in soccer, but not enough that it would turn potential fans off. However, terrible, biased officiating like Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich leg 2 from this year's Champion's League knock out stage could make people walk away in disgust so let's make sure officiating is top notch in general.

Edited by Macksam

So I've learned from reading the above argument: casual fans = bad, ruining the sport for the rest of us. Also, making money = bad, ruining the sport 

Wait...don't you have to be casual before you become die-hard?

Wait...don't you need money to pay players and give our Canadian boys the chance they deserve? Hmm.

There is nothing wrong with catering to casuals, and North Americans. Is this not a league in North America? Should we not embrace our own local sports culture? (I imagine myself rising up on a platform holding a Canadian flag at this point). This is not a European league, this is a Canadian league: Canadians love playoffs, they love that any team can win the season in any given year in our leagues, and we must continue to teach them to love soccer. My name is Nathan, and I AM CANADIAN!!

22 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Even though I do think diving should be punished harshly, any mungie cake that tells you they get turned off from the diving is lying and using it as a convenient excuse as to why they don't like the game.

I don't agree there. I remember watching the Mexico v Netherlands game at the last World Cup at a bar outside Vancouver. The Robben dive really turned a lot of people off who were interested in the game up until that point. Diving and time-wasting are just not acceptable to the average Canadian sports.

19 minutes ago, Nathanael Martin said:

So I've learned from reading the above argument: casual fans = bad, ruining the sport for the rest of us. Also, making money = bad, ruining the sport 

Wait...don't you need money to pay players and give our Canadian boys the chance they deserve? Hmm.

There is nothing wrong with catering to casuals, and North Americans. Is this not a league in North America? Should we not embrace our own local sports culture? (I imagine myself rising up on a platform holding a Canadian flag at this point). This is not a European league, this is a Canadian league: Canadians love playoffs, they love that any team can win the season in any given year in our leagues, and we must continue to teach them to love soccer. My name is Nathan, and I AM CANADIAN!!

Also, voicing a common (if maybe somewhat flawed) idea as a new poster = let's jump down your throat and turn you off to the whole community 

We need more chill 

And no, it's not just the internet being the internet, it's a small enough community to hold it to a higher, kinder standard

Edited by Complete Homer

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Sadly it's not about what you or what anyone wants or thinks is the best lol.  It's going to be what the people with the money want to do and think is the best.  It's the real world here folks :)

So what are we really on here talking about then?

4 minutes ago, nfooty said:

So what are we really on here talking about then?

Anybody can talk about whatever they want.  There's also nothing wrong with dissenting opinions/ideas.  

But far too often people are predicting doom and despair if the league isn't just like what they personally think it should be. This is the real world and people will need to be prepared to move past things that they don't like if they truly want to support it.

7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Anybody can talk about whatever they want.  There's also nothing wrong with dissenting opinions/ideas.  

But far too often people are predicting doom and despair if the league isn't just like what they personally think it should be. This is the real world and people will need to be prepared to move past things that they don't like if they truly want to support it.

I, for one, predict doom and despair for the league if Calgary ever wins it. 

1 hour ago, Nathanael Martin said:

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, since I was the only one I can see that mentioned casual fans, but I am in favour of catering to the casuals

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Also, can we please have diving punished retroactively from the get go. There are going to be a lot of people looking to get into the game that are going to be turned off by the diving

this

probably the most important thing CPL can do to set itself up for success.  IMO

also I'd be fine with no playoffs, but I think the smart move financially will be to have a short -baseball style playoffs(only a few teams qualify - as opposed to NHL where over half the league does)

Edited by GuillermoDelQuarto

Sounds awesome, great to have a long-term plan in mind.

I put it in the CPL2 thread before, I thought a really good time to implement pro/rel would be if the league was so successful that it had hit 20 clubs and that there was still demand for more.

Because we all like seeing a good 20-team league table. Even if it's divided into two conferences or something.

Just now, harrycoyster said:

Nothing. He was ducking from the incoming shitstorm, its not actually part of the sentence.

Yeah I feel stupid now lol.  I was overthinking it.  Thought it was some modified system I had never heard of.  That is a very surprising revelation.  Did not see that coming.

I blame the long day at work.  Really need to get some beer in me...

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Nothing. He was ducking from the incoming shitstorm, its not actually part of the sentence.

I interpreted it as him avoiding swearing, but your way makes more sense. :lol:

I really like this plan. Pro/rel at 16 sounds like a perfect long-term goal.

Edited by Diamondium