BC Soccer aiming to launch "Regional Tier 3 League"

shermanator

It sounds like BC Soccer is trying to launch an equivalent to League1 Ontario / PLSQ, and they're looking for 8 clubs initially. Or at least, that's how I'm reading this particular release. Note, it does specifically say it's an amateur league run in a professional manner. The linked PDF's also have sample profit / loss models for such a league, which I find interesting.

https://www.bcsoccer.net/news/post/bc-soccer-enhancing-adult-soccer-in-british-columbia?platform=hootsuite

One of BC Soccer’s Strategic Plan objectives is to introduce a professionally administered adult amateur soccer league by 2019.  Over the past 18 months, a committee has been gathering information, feedback and researching other similar leagues/environments, within Canada and Washington, who offer a semi-professional level of play.

BC Soccer is pleased to be able to now introduce the next stage of these developments presenting an open call for applications to individuals and/or organizations to apply for a Franchise Holder License in such a league.

Pending the establishment of multiple franchises, the next stage will prepare to usher in the new BC Soccer Regional Tier 3 League (RT3 League).  The RT3 League is positioned within the BC Soccer Recognized Pathway as an amateur league run professionally. It is a platform for adult soccer within the LTPD stage 6 of ‘Training to Win’ designed to be in a standards-based high performance environment for potential professional and national team players. Its purpose is also to create a league that will support and assist with the transition from youth to adult soccer. Although this current initiative is for male players only, it embraces the potential of expansion to a female league in the future.

professionally administered adult amateur soccer league

Let's face it; this is pretty much what L1O is, even if I'd say "development league" would be a more useful description than amateur.

I don't see them shooting higher than L1O for a true semi-pro status, so I guess this is it then.

About bloody time.

Details from the PDFs:

" It is with the specific development of a standards-based regional league that has the potential of providing a bridge between high-performance youth players and senior national/professional team selection base."

" create an environment of high performance for potential professional and national team players."

" The RT3 League has the potential to be a critically important pathway for top players from the youth ranks to the highest level of soccer in British Columbia, beneath the fully professional level."

" The BC Soccer RT3 League is a registered not-for-profit entity under the BC Society Act and is governed by the BC Soccer Board of Directors. "
Sounds like this is actually a thing then, and not just a plan.
(God, I know they make a better acronym than BCRT3)

" The season calendar will span from May to July to determine the winner of the league which is also integrated with cup competition schedule."
Yuck, that's a short season.

" Choosing the initial 8 franchise locations, with solid ownership groups will be a necessity for the long-term success and for the viability of the league and franchises themselves. The business model for each franchise will rely on strong financial support from the community, such as, game day ticket and merchandise sales, as well as player billeting to name a few. Using an arbitrary measure of population size of app. 25,000 as an example, it will require strong local corporate community support (season tickets, sponsorships, VIP packages, etc.) to succeed. Larger population figures do not necessarily equal success. Teams located in smaller markets may be able to take advantage of a monopoly position as the “only game in town”."
That's a hell of a lot more focused on the business side of things than L1O, if this is the reality that comes to pass.

Looks like they penciled in a 14-game season based on home-and-away between 8 teams.  Will be a busy schedule if they add a cup in there as well, even with midweek games.

It'll be a long wait if they join the L1O-PLSQ D3 Cup in October though...

Edited by Gopherbashi

Seems they can't get their dates right:

One of BC Soccer’s Strategic Plan objectives is to introduce a professionally administered adult amateur soccer league by 2019.

The league is projected to kick-off in the spring of 2018 with the guiding principles that:

So either they changed the date (either backwards or forwards), there's a one-year grace period on the "professional" part, or the objective was to launch by 2019 but they're trying to get it done before then.  They're looking for pre-applications by March 31, 2017, so I'll assume the latter.

2018's going to be a kickass year if everything pans out.

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

My first question is whether Victoria Highlanders or TSS Rovers would want to move from PDL to a BC based league. If not right away, would they be forced in a number of years similar to FC London and KW United (if they are still being forced)?

Once that BC League starts, I doubt CSA will tolerate those teams within a USSF system when a CSA alternative exists.

23 minutes ago, shermanator said:

My first question is whether Victoria Highlanders or TSS Rovers would want to move from PDL to a BC based league. If not right away, would they be forced in a number of years similar to FC London and KW United (if they are still being forced)?

I'd hope they would switch over to the BC League1 equivalent when that league starts to help give it legitimacy. Maybe entice them in with no entry fee as both are recent additions to PDL.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Is this the BCD3 news we've finally been waiting for!?

Seems like it is from their tweet :

"The goal is to have the new regional BC Tier 3 league kickoff in 2018. One big step closer to having our own League1 Ontario."

Exciting news and adds to the Canadian regional D3 set of leagues. Although they state its "adult amatuer" , as I understand it League1 Ontario is amatuer as well as no players are paid at this point. League1 Ontario does have provisions for semi pro teams in the league articles along with amatuer and the original goal I think was that it would be semi pro in year 3.

Edited by CDNFootballer

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I doubt TSS will switch over. I remember Holmes talking on Twitter about how PDL teams being asked to leave should be compensated for the fee they paid to enter ($75k). It probably was around a discussion of Ontario PDL teams or something. 

Can't image BC Soccer is in a hurry to pay out TSS' fees

Were the Ontario PDL teams compensated for their fees when forced to switch to League1 Ontario?

36 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think a "professionally administered adult amateur soccer league" doesn't qualify as D3. It would be equivalent to AMSL in Alberta terms. If this replaces anything it would be the PCSL, which operates as a summer league while the top amateur leagues operate a district rather than provincial level in the winter months.

"The goal is to have the new regional BC Tier 3 league kickoff in 2018. One big step closer to having our own League1 Ontario."

That's their goal. Let them start somewhere. They'll get there over time.

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think a "professionally administered adult amateur soccer league" doesn't qualify as D3. It would be equivalent to AMSL in Alberta terms. If this replaces anything it would be the PCSL, which operates as a summer league while the top amateur leagues operate a district rather than provincial level in the winter months.

It would not only replace but be above PCSL. PCSL is amateur. This D3 has ownership requirements, business models etc. It will attract better players and coaches. 

If they want to start with 8 clubs, hopefully the 8 BCSPL franchises apply. 3 month season means there's no reason Thompson-Okanagan couldn't field a team. I assume TOFC or one of the Okanagan PCSL franchises jumps over asap.

I imagine if the 8 do well financially, it'll quickly grow to 12. If 1 Surrey club does well, you can assume a 2nd will pop up very quickly.

Re: TSS-Highlanders - no clue if Highlanders would join (maybe they will and be the direct link for VI Wave BCSPL?). TSS though - who knows, but my guess is BCSA will want Swangard involved :)

There has been a Prairie HPL idea being worked on by Dave Nutt in SK and others for quite a while. It's been almost a year since I chatted with him about it, but at that time they were having difficulty getting everyone on board. One major hurdle is the distances and associated travel costs. 1400km from Winnipeg to Calgary or Edmonton. Ouch. 

25 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

There has been a Prairie HPL idea being worked on by Dave Nutt in SK and others for quite a while. It's been almost a year since I chatted with him about it, but at that time they were having difficulty getting everyone on board. One major hurdle is the distances and associated travel costs. 1400km from Winnipeg to Calgary or Edmonton. Ouch. 

Seems to me that covering all of the Prairies might be too much - 1400km from Edmonton to Winnipeg is a fair distance.

Might be better to have an Alberta league and SK/MB league - the 800km from Saskatoon to Winnipeg is a bit more manageable and is the same distance covered by a Windsor-Ottawa matchup in L1O.

Not sure if they'd have the critical mass to do it that way.  Might need to get inventive and cluster teams together every few weekends during the summer for a tournament-style round-robin rather than travelling every week.

28 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Seems to me that covering all of the Prairies might be too much - 1400km from Edmonton to Winnipeg is a fair distance.

Might be better to have an Alberta league and SK/MB league - the 800km from Saskatoon to Winnipeg is a bit more manageable and is the same distance covered by a Windsor-Ottawa matchup in L1O.

Not sure if they'd have the critical mass to do it that way.  Might need to get inventive and cluster teams together every few weekends during the summer for a tournament-style round-robin rather than travelling every week.

Northern Ontario can also join a SK/MB league. Solves the concerns from Thunder Bay Chills about travel distance for L1O

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was there ever any talk of making the the L10 into two divisions, one higher, with promotion and relegation?

I am just curious if the formula was ever thought of, like 8 and 8.  It would sure give a bit more competitive bite to the leagues and make for a few more competitive games late in each season.

I really wish they'd do that as well - your Sigmas, TFCs, and FCLs of the league gain nothing with the ritual beatdown of your Sanjaxxs (who don't gain anything from it either).  Possibilities for L2O have been discussed on these forums in the past.

I believe Dino's said he's open to the idea of tiering the league, but doesn't think they're at that point yet.