BC Soccer aiming to launch "Regional Tier 3 League"

shermanator

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

TSS Rovers announce their 2022 roster; https://www.tssfc.ca/copy-of-rovers-women

Anyone in BC know how this compares to the TSS PDL rosters or a typical PCSL roster?

Interesting it appears TSS has one player with CPL experience in Fugo Segawa. He played five games for York in 2020 after playing a number of years in Finland. 

17 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Listen to AFTN this week. The relevant points for here:

- Sounds like teams are lining up to get in to League 1 for next season

- Don't expect L1BC to have an entrance in to the Voyageurs Cup next year - sounds like the CSA wants a few more teams in the league and a longer season before they get the spot

https://aftn.ca/episode-503-the-aftn-soccer-show/

Bit unfair if number of teams (7) is a reason considering AS Blainville made the 2018 CanChamp after winning the 7 team 2017 PLSQ. 

20 hours ago, Watchmen said:

- Don't expect L1BC to have an entrance in to the Voyageurs Cup next year - sounds like the CSA wants a few more teams in the league and a longer season before they get the spot

I suspect it has more to do with the short L1BC season. (As @rydermike points out, PLSQ didn't need many clubs to earn Voyageurs Cup entry.)

L1O and PLSQ both start in very early May, whereas L1BC starts in late May, due to the BC Provincial Cup finals being held in mid-May. Lots of politics in amateur BC Soccer, so L1BC was careful to accommodate the existing schedules of winter-based leagues/cups. Hopefully after a couple of years, they can all sit down and agree to bring the BC cup finals forward to late April.

The end of the L1BC season (regular season wraps up late July, playoff final on August 1st) is consistent with USL PDL/USL League Two. Why/how does L1O go longer?

If these "League1" competitions are meant to be a Canadian replacement for the USL PDL/USL League Two, how is it that League1 Ontario held their 2019 playoff final in late September? Aren't most university players back to school well before then? How reliant are L1O and PLSQ clubs on university players to fill their squads? For the sake of comparison, it sounds like L1BC (or at least TSS Rovers) will cater primarily to university players.

Edited by Blue and White Army

8 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

I suspect it has more to do with the short L1BC season. (As @rydermike points out, PLSQ didn't need many clubs to earn Voyageurs Cup entry.)

L1O and PLSQ both start in very early May, whereas L1BC starts in late May, due to the BC Provincial Cup finals being held in mid-May. Lots of politics in amateur BC Soccer, so L1BC was careful to accommodate the existing schedules of winter-based leagues/cups. Hopefully after a couple of years, they can all sit down and agree to bring the BC cup finals forward to late April.

The end of the L1BC season (regular season wraps up late July, playoff final on August 1st) is consistent with USL PDL/USL League Two. Why/how does L1O go longer?

If these "League1" competitions are meant to be a Canadian replacement for the USL PDL/USL League Two, how is it that League1 Ontario held their 2019 playoff final in late September? Aren't most university players back to school well before then? How reliant are L1O and PLSQ clubs on university players to fill their squads? For the sake of comparison, it sounds like L1BC (or at least TSS Rovers) will cater primarily to university players.

That is no excuse, the US Open Cup has USASA, NPSL, USL League 2 teams in the tournament. Lower level teams playing all sorts of different schedules. The VCup should be as inclusive as possible.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing that a Vancouver Metro Soccer League club affiliated with UBC (i.e. uses some UBC players during the VMSL's winter-based season) has pulled out of the BC Provincial Cup, with the rumour that players would rather join Varsity FC (UBC's new L1BC club) for pre-season.

L1BC's season begins almost a month later than L1O and PLSQ, largely to accommodate the BC Provincial Cup and avoid parochial politics. Something seems amiss.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, rydermike said:

If you click the link you can see the logo has been photoshopped out on the sides of the scarf since, but the original photo is still showing on the photo above the link and I zoomed in below. The fact they have photoshopped it out basically confirms that this is the official logo, which is what I was referring to and was an accidental leak. It specifically says "Canadian League1 BC", the temporary logo only shows League1 BC.

wwwww.png

The leaked logo now official

On 3/30/2022 at 11:59 PM, Watchmen said:

L1BC might have started with 7 teams, but 6 more already expressing interest and season 1 hasn't even started yet. Excellent news.

No word at all on who has applied?

Any idea of how many will be allowed in for 2023?

Some suspicions that the tendency to see University affiliated teams may play out some more (SFU? Kwantlen even?). 

On 3/31/2022 at 8:26 AM, Blue and White Army said:

Hearing that a Vancouver Metro Soccer League club affiliated with UBC (i.e. uses some UBC players during the VMSL's winter-based season) has pulled out of the BC Provincial Cup, with the rumour that players would rather join Varsity FC (UBC's new L1BC club) for pre-season.

L1BC's season begins almost a month later than L1O and PLSQ, largely to accommodate the BC Provincial Cup and avoid parochial politics. Something seems amiss.

If players are starting to opt for L1BC, that's a good thing. It means they see it as a better pathway. Hopefully BC Soccer will see this as an opportunity to just extend the L1BC schedule in the future. 

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No word at all on who has applied?

Any idea of how many will be allowed in for 2023?

Some suspicions that the tendency to see University affiliated teams may play out some more (SFU? Kwantlen even?). 

Really haven't investigated. I'd assume the league would be willing to let in as many teams as would meet the criteria right now. No reason not too. I hope it's not all university teams though. And ideally, it's a few more outside of the lower mainland.

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Really haven't investigated. I'd assume the league would be willing to let in as many teams as would meet the criteria right now. No reason not too. I hope it's not all university teams though. And ideally, it's a few more outside of the lower mainland.

Reposting the priority areas. I do hope a few of these are present, such as Nanaimo, Okanagan. Would also be interested to see if Port Moody made a bid, given Srdjan Djekanovic and Brittany Timko are out there and rather ambitious.

•    Abbotsford
•    Chilliwack
•    Burnaby
•    Coquitlam
•    Kelowna
•    Nanaimo
•    Prince George
•    Surrey

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Reposting the priority areas. I do hope a few of these are present, such as Nanaimo, Okanagan. Would also be interested to see if Port Moody made a bid, given Srdjan Djekanovic and Brittany Timko are out there and rather ambitious.

•    Abbotsford
•    Chilliwack
•    Burnaby
•    Coquitlam
•    Kelowna
•    Nanaimo
•    Prince George
•    Surrey

I think Nanaimo and Kelowna should be a bit more "priority" just to keep spreading the teams outward in to the province. Abbotsford, Surrey, and Coquitlam make some sense too. Burnaby already has a team (TSS at Swangard).

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think Nanaimo and Kelowna should be a bit more "priority" just to keep spreading the teams outward in to the province. Abbotsford, Surrey, and Coquitlam make some sense too. Burnaby already has a team (TSS at Swangard).

Yes, but somehow, knowing TSS is from Richmond and plays at Swangard, in Burnaby, the BCSA says they want to cover Burnaby, odd. Perhaps they are thinking of some other club over near or in the Burnaby Lake Sports Complex.

Then also odd they would not want a team in Richmond, but not where TSS is, in a spot not central or easy to get to.

As long as they get bids to take the league up to 10 or 12, so you get a 18-22 game season, I'm fine with whichever team is able to be competitive and inspires some of its fans to go watch.

• 2 weeks later...