BC Soccer aiming to launch "Regional Tier 3 League"

shermanator

9 hours ago, NVsoccer said:

Anyone hear anything lately about this league?

There has been no further movement since the failed request quite some time ago. It isn't surprising considering the proposal was so incredibly weak.

9 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Honnestly, I'm pretty far from BC, but theorically, if you've got the 2 PDL team, a reserve team for the whitecaps and a reserve team for Pacific FC, you've got already 4 teams and 2 derbys! PLSQ started its inaugural season with 5 teams

Neither PDL club was interested in the league as it was proposed. The did receive a couple of inquiries form the PCSL clubs, but there was little differentiation between the PCSL and the proposed league, with the exception of increased costs. As a result, there was little incentive to move over.

The potential is there, if BC Soccer were to propose more than a summer-only league in a way that would make sense for investors. This would involve a complete rewrite of the league proposal. Whether BC Soccer will do that in the near future, is a very different question.

I don’t know anything about PCSL. Is there any reason why it can’t be the league we are waiting for?  What is holding it back? If we gave them a spot in the Voyageurs Cup, would the competition with PLSQ and L1O be enough to spur them on to be a similar level?

On 8/19/2018 at 6:47 PM, Kent said:

I don’t know anything about PCSL. Is there any reason why it can’t be the league we are waiting for?  What is holding it back? If we gave them a spot in the Voyageurs Cup, would the competition with PLSQ and L1O be enough to spur them on to be a similar level?

The PCSL is a summer league. Supporters, and to some degree, viewers are generally not welcome (though Vancouver United seems to be working to change that a little). Games are often rescheduled last minute without any notice on their website or through their mostly dormant social media. Level of play is below PDL, L1O & PLSQ. It can sometimes take up to 4-days for a score to be updated on the website's schedule, more if its the score for the final (waiting since Jul 29).

PCSL could make the move for the designation, but it would require them to become a professional operation, which they have no interest in doing. Without extending the season, they still wouldn't be able to pull level to L1O & PLSQ, and the drop in quality of play means the Highlanders & TSS would never consider moving their 1st team down to their (well, the Highlanders) reserve team-level. Every year the PCSL continues to play is a surprise, a welcome one because they're partially filling a gap between the youth-levels and PDL, but they aren't exactly a solid or professional organization.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Sounds like USports will fill the void for now. Rather than focus solely on BC and D3, I would think you could get Highlanders, Rovers, Foothills, WSA Winnipeg and Thunder Bay in a D2 now. Metro Ford could jump into this league and possibly CPL western reserve sides?

No way you could have Highlanders, Foothills, Pacific reserves, and Cavalry reserves all in D2. It could work with an Alberta/BC D3 league, but not with Winnipeg and Thunder Bay

7 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Those clubs already travel to StLouis. It wouldn't take much more investment in terms of travel.

What clubs are you talking about? None of the clubs mentioned travel to St. Louis for league games.

46 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

WSA Winnipeg and Thunder Bay both travel to St Louis.

OK fair enough, I was looking at, "Highlanders, Foothills, Pacific reserves, and Cavalry reserves" the teams already playing in the PDL Northwest or BC-based.

The dividing line for regional D3, you know, THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS THREAD, has to be the Rocky Mountains.

There should be at least five D3 leagues: BC, Prairies and Maritimes added to the existing L1O and Quebec league.

Any talk of larger "D2" league or leagues is a waste of energy as it would be too expensive and is totally unnecessary at this point

Edited by ted

On 12/22/2018 at 10:35 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

Are there any other countries with a D1 and a D3? 

Almost every other country with professional soccer I think. Of course they also have a D2. ;)

But seriously, Canada is in a rare situation. We have a territory larger than Europe and a population less than half that of Germany. Comparisons to countries wit robust multi-divisional systems is of limited utility.

We can start with a D1 and multiple D3 leagues and hope to someday have enough interest and teams to "fill in the blank".

Right now, in 2019 we need to get the CanPL up and running. Regional D3's should be close behind but one more minute of time spent on something we don't actually need right now is simply a distraction.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So apparently we are back on according to Take The Piss.Com.

• Play is set to begin next April with 7-8 "franchises"; runs through August
    • The league has significantly scaled back its franchise requirements from the previous attempt to create this league a few years ago
      • No longer are there projections/requirements for stadium ticket revenue, concession revenue, merchandise revenue, etc.
    • Intention is for the champion to be given a berth in the Canadian Championship - still TBC by CSA but confirmation is expected
    • Players will initially NOT BE PAID in the league, with the intention to potentially move towards eventually becoming a semi-professional league within 5 seasons
    • Similar agreement with USports (formerly CIS) as CPL which will allow college players to participate in this league before being returned to their college teams; NCAA (SFU) players not likely to be eligible
    • No information on if players will be eligible to play in VMSL/FVSL/VISL outside of the Tier 3 season or on whether signing in this league will have any effect on their amateur status
    • TSS Rovers and Victoria Highlanders have apparently verbally committed to joining the league assuming the CSA, as expected, approves a spot for the league in the Canadian Championship
      • Note - TSS and Highlanders must inform USL D2 (formerly PDL) if they are returning to that league by November; if they do remain in USL they must sign a 3 year commitment
      • I am told that BC Tier 3 WILL LAUNCH regardless of if TSS and Highlanders join or not; though obviously the preference is for them to be there
    • Ideally BC Soccer would like to stream at least some of the league's matches live online in order to try and help grow the reach of the league

So, basically the PCSL with new teams. ;)

Definitely an interesting development. Can't seem to find anything more/new about it officially at this time.

Wish we could have someone from TSS/Highlanders provide a silent nod that this info is not completely smoke.

Initial franchises I am told will be:

• Whitecaps U23
  • Vancouver 86ers
  • Tri-Cities
  • Surrey/Langley
  • TSS Rovers*
  • Victoria Highlanders*
  • Nanaimo+
  • Kamloops+
  • Kelowna/Penticton/Okanagan+

The Surrey group is likely Surrey United, who fielded a team in PCSL this year. Similarly, I would think Okanagan FC the likely Okanagan participant.

I also find it odd that the original post would claim TSS have agreed to move out of Swanguard (to somewhere in Richmond) to make way for the Vancouver 86ers.

I feel like this info, or at least the franchise list, is a little on the speculative side, but that just may be due to how the last BCRT3 announcement rolled out. Hopefully we'll hear a little more about the development soon.

12 hours ago, Raven said:

Lets hope this work out. It would be great if they could be in the Voyageurs Cup next seson....idea.....founding franchises get a bye 🤢

If the league launches 2020, they wouldn't enter the V-Cup until 2021. From the OP, the winner of the league would be entered (if this is approved by CSA). Can't have a winner before it starts...

On 6/26/2019 at 4:49 AM, Rintaran said:

Definitely an interesting development. Can't seem to find anything more/new about it officially at this time.

Wish we could have someone from TSS/Highlanders provide a silent nod that this info is not completely smoke.

The Surrey group is likely Surrey United, who fielded a team in PCSL this year. Similarly, I would think Okanagan FC the likely Okanagan participant.

I also find it odd that the original post would claim TSS have agreed to move out of Swanguard (to somewhere in Richmond) to make way for the Vancouver 86ers.

I feel like this info, or at least the franchise list, is a little on the speculative side, but that just may be due to how the last BCRT3 announcement rolled out. Hopefully we'll hear a little more about the development soon.

If Tri-Cities is going to be involved, surely Metro-Ford would have to be supporting them in some form, no?

Also, if the 86ers name is going to be resurrected, the Whitecaps would have to be willing to sell the brand.

15 hours ago, Rintaran said:

If the league launches 2020, they wouldn't enter the V-Cup until 2021. From the OP, the winner of the league would be entered (if this is approved by CSA). Can't have a winner before it starts...

I don't see why not, the precedent's been set with the 2019 Concacaf League.  Rovers vs Highlanders first home-and-away of the season.