BC Soccer aiming to launch "Regional Tier 3 League"

shermanator

That's disappointing. It's going to take a long time to check off everything on my D3 wish list.

For people more knowledgeable than me, do you have any idea if it would help or hinder to team up with Alberta to make a league together? The pro obviously would be increasing the area/population covered, so the possibility to draw more teams. The con of course would be increased travel (ie: time and expense).

Also, does anybody know if they would have had enough teams for the BC league if they DID get the PDL teams involved? Or would they still have needed more teams interested on top of the PDL teams?

This is infuriating. Same problems we saw with L1O really. Once American leagues are established it is incredibly difficult to get them back under the Canadian umbrella. This level especially is a labour of love and for a lot of teams they get committed to the leagues they are in.

I was hoping that TSS would try to make the jump. I was hoping that Victoria would. Frankly. I want KW United to be the last team in the PDL and then hopefully that would force their hand, but when PDL continues to push back regional leagues it gets easier and easier for United to oppose L1O.

I thought the Voyageurs Cup announcement would really help, but clearly these lower level teams need some kind of new revenue generator that will push them to become a - better community based clubs and b - start working together. As soccer supporters, what could we do that would encourage teams, irrespective of leagues to start working together.

7 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

This is infuriating. Same problems we saw with L1O really. Once American leagues are established it is incredibly difficult to get them back under the Canadian umbrella. This level especially is a labour of love and for a lot of teams they get committed to the leagues they are in.

I was hoping that TSS would try to make the jump. I was hoping that Victoria would. Frankly. I want KW United to be the last team in the PDL and then hopefully that would force their hand, but when PDL continues to push back regional leagues it gets easier and easier for United to oppose L1O.

I thought the Voyageurs Cup announcement would really help, but clearly these lower level teams need some kind of new revenue generator that will push them to become a - better community based clubs and b - start working together. As soccer supporters, what could we do that would encourage teams, irrespective of leagues to start working together.

TSS and the Highlanders are contractually obligated to stay in PDL for now, and both entered PDL when BC D3 wasn't anything more than a broad idea. I'm not really blaming them

I don't really know enough about BC club politics, but I'm hoping @Rintarandoes some digging with the operators of other clubs to see what the concerns

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

TSS and the Highlanders are contractually obligated to stay in PDL for now, and both entered PDL when BC D3 wasn't anything more than a broad idea. I'm not really blaming them

I don't really know enough about BC club politics, but I'm hoping @Rintarandoes some digging with the operators of other clubs to see what the concerns

Nor do I entirely, although it would be interesting to know what the deal is with the contracts. I mean, it's PDL. Surely the chance to play the Whitecaps at Swangard with TSS could be enough of a blockbuster to pay for that cancellation? I mean, these teams fail all the time. Since United started in the PDL we have lost like 3-4 teams. I am sure they had contracts, but when your bust, your bust.

In my mind the key is that these leagues have to be MORE attractive than the PDL. That's the problem with allowing PDL teams, once they are in you have to be significantly more attractive in some way.

Just now, Levi Oakey said:

Nor do I entirely, although it would be interesting to know what the deal is with the contracts. I mean, it's PDL. Surely the chance to play the Whitecaps at Swangard with TSS could be enough of a blockbuster to pay for that cancellation? I mean, these teams fail all the time. Since United started in the PDL we have lost like 3-4 teams. I am sure they had contracts, but when your bust, your bust.

In my mind the key is that these leagues have to be MORE attractive than the PDL. That's the problem with allowing PDL teams, once they are in you have to be significantly more attractive in some way.

My feeling is that TSS is the size that buying into PDL is a large enough chunk of the academy's overall assets that they can't just liquidate and move on with the hopes of facing VWC at Swanguard and selling out. Heck, they could probably arrange a preseason friendly without a huge amount of difficulty as is.

They've probably taken a decent amount of risk on with the goal of giving some Canadians more playing time. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they'd make the right choice for Canadian soccer if and when they can. They don't seem to be trying to politick this like some FAs seem to try

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

I wonder if scrapping this idea to get a "Western Canada D3", expanding into Alberta could help get this off the ground. I would have to think the 3 Western Canadian PDL clubs and FC Edmonton could be interested at least.

Personally I am a big fan of this. Obviously wouldn't be as low cost as a L1O setup, but if half the teams are used to worse travel schedules anyway it could work. Only thing is that the actual players lose that easy translation of what performance at that level means to NCAA scouts.

Isn't this TSS's first season? Or was it last season already? If it's this season, it shows either a complete lack of foresight, or a blatant lack of interest that they started up when this league was so close to accepting applications.

I think the best thing supporters can do to help push teams in the direction of the D3 leagues is to...

1. Write/call your local PDL team stating your desire for them to support the pyramid in Canada.

2. If possible, go out to Voyageurs Cup games in your area. ESPECIALLY people that have the opportunity to go to a game involving a D3 team next year.

I don't expect this to happen next year, but as an extreme example, if TFC sold out their stadium for a game against a L1O or PLSQ team, that would send a message to other D3 teams. Likewise, sold out games hosted by the D3 teams against the pro teams in the Voyageurs Cup would also send a message.

The best thing the CSA can do is to do what they can to give out cash prizes for qualifying D3 teams, or make sure there is revenue sharing that benefits them. I don't know how the finances currently work out, but if that tournament can end up being a bit of a cash cow for D3 teams, that would be huge. Hopefully next year the tournament goes well enough that it doesn't take long for all D3 teams to be included, rather than just the champions.

14 hours ago, Rintaran said:

IMO a HUGE part of the reason for the lack of interest, is the lack of a reason to be interested. The way BCRT3 was proposed had such a short season, and such a huge increase in required expenses that there would be zero benefit for PDL or PCSL teams to move there from their current league.

The more I hear about this league the more disappointed I become.

It seems to offer nothing above what the PCSL offers and somehow wants the PDL teams to come aboard?

2 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Once American leagues are established it is incredibly difficult to get them back under the Canadian umbrella.

I don't think it would be a tough sell if there was some actual benefit to switching. As it is this proposed league offers lesser competition, no history as an organization, and nothing in the way of marketing support.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

I wonder if scrapping this idea to get a "Western Canada D3", expanding into Alberta could help get this off the ground. I would have to think the 3 Western Canadian PDL clubs and FC Edmonton could be interested at least.

Oh hell no. The only reason we can currently play Calgary is that they had to agree to pay for teams to travel to Calgary out of their budget. D3 has to be a bus-primary league and there is no way travelling over the Rockies on a regular basis makes financial sense at this level.

The CSA leadership is needed here. They have already planned a "CHL Style" system for D3. Perhaps, CPL will be the catalyst to make it possible since they will most likely need regional D3 leagues to put their lower tier teams? Perhaps they just want the CPL started and then they can turn their attention to D3

Edited by Ansem

54 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The CSA leadership is needed here. They have already planned a "CHL Style" system for D3. Perhaps, CPL will be the catalyst to make it possible since they will most likely need regional D3 leagues to put their lower tier teams? Perhaps they just want the CPL started and then they can turn their attention to D3

The CSA has said that it's up to the provinces to start the D3 leagues. I believe BC Soccer had visited with L1O guys a year or two ago (that I heard of, it was hopefully more regular contact than that) to get ideas on how to start up a league in BC. They might have also spoken with PLSQ, but I don't recall for sure.

Hopefully the issues that are holding them back are things that can be addressed and they can be successful in the not too distant future. If CPL were to help out with these leagues like MLS helps out USL, that would be awesome.

Does anybody know if the Whitecaps displayed any interest in this BC league? I like how Toronto has shown support for L1O by entering a team in that league, and have been disappointed that Montreal doesn't do the same thing with PLSQ. You would think/hope that PLSQ would give Montreal a cheap option now that FC Montreal has folded.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Oh hell no. The only reason we can currently play Calgary is that they had to agree to pay for teams to travel to Calgary out of their budget. D3 has to be a bus-primary league and there is no way travelling over the Rockies on a regular basis makes financial sense at this level.

The fact that Calgary has to pay for the travel for visiting teams is one of my biggest gripes with their current setup in PDL. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of competition willing to step up in Alberta, or Saskatchewan, or Manitoba, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 7:59 PM, Rintaran said:

IMO a HUGE part of the reason for the lack of interest, is the lack of a reason to be interested. The way BCRT3 was proposed had such a short season, and such a huge increase in required expenses that there would be zero benefit for PDL or PCSL teams to move there from their current league. Add on to that the fact that the PDL teams are currently league tied.

From my discussions with the BC PDL team GMs, Rovers have a 3-year contract with PDL, and Highlanders are also under contract (presumably year 2 of 3). There was no possibility of them moving over immediately.

They claim they'll be trying again in 2019 or 2020, but unless they plan to better differentiate and provide a more realistic ROI estimate, BC Soccer is going to continue to have a hard sell for this league.

Brand the league with a more identifiable name as well instead of BCRT3, sounds like a freaking transit line not a pro am league. Just go with League 1 BC and model after their more or less success.

17 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Brand the league with a more identifiable name as well instead of BCRT3, sounds like a freaking transit line not a pro am league. Just go with League 1 BC and model after their more or less success.

Or how about "Pacific Coast Soccer League"? ;) Comes with trophies and a history as a bonus.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is ridiculous. The BCSA never consults the clubs; it just acts on its own and hopes for the best. The bond issue apparently pissed off most (all?) of the potential clubs.

This really should be an easy job, given the depth of existing clubs in BC:

• Whitecaps Reserves
  • Highlanders Reserves
  • Coquitlam M-F
  • Surrey Pegasus
  • West Van
  • Gorge
  • Cowichan
  • Victoria West
  • Langley United
  • Abbotsford United

That's 10 major clubs just off the top of my head. Only incompetence from the provincial body is preventing this from happening.

23 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

This is ridiculous. The BCSA never consults the clubs; it just acts on its own and hopes for the best. The bond issue apparently pissed off most (all?) of the potential clubs.

What was the "bond issue"?

6 hours ago, Zem said:

What was the "bond issue"?

The clubs were asked to pay a bond/deposit to participate in the league. Apparently it was quite large and most (all?) clubs balked at it.

Why the BCSA didn't share their league plan with some clubs prior to a formal request for interest is beyond me. Consultation seems to be a four-letter word to some people.

3 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

The clubs were asked to pay a bond/deposit to participate in the league. Apparently it was quite large and most (all?) clubs balked at it.

Why the BCSA didn't share their league plan with some clubs prior to a formal request for interest is beyond me. Consultation seems to be a four-letter word to some people.

Well, it’s disappointing to hear the lack of willingness to work with the clubs, but still nice to hear that there could be interested clubs if the terms were right. Hopefully there is still hope for a league.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Honnestly, I'm pretty far from BC, but theorically, if you've got the 2 PDL team, a reserve team for the whitecaps and a reserve team for Pacific FC, you've got already 4 teams and 2 derbys! PLSQ started its inaugural season with 5 teams

Probably only have one of Highlanders or PFC reserves, but you would think they could get 3 more teams with ease