CPL Must Haves (A Poll)

matty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Five picks: 

-At least 8 teams to start   - I think the team is bush league with less than 8 personally and no-one will be interested.  
-40% or 30% quota with annual escalation - I think this is more than fair. 
-Minimum ownership requirements with 3 year commitment - Something you would expect anyways that ownership are all in but good to have.
-Academy partnerships  -  something that will be imperative to set up, the MLS teams have done great work, especially the Whitecaps in the West and Centrally spreading academies. Possible connections with MLS teams could work here too. 
-A TV deal with TSN  - It is the biggest and best network really. 

A side note: 

-A CCL Spot - I don't personally see us being worthy. In an ideal world further down the line if we have enough teams. What I would like to see first is restrictions on whomever wins the MLS playoffs getting a CCL spot unless they are Canadian. Whomever is the best in MLS should be representing the MLS regardless. 

A spot for the Voyageurs cup and potential spot for the MLS teams would be fine for me. Should the league grow and prosper maybe we would have a case but certainly not off the bat. 

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm not sure if you saw my wall of text on why a 50% or higher quota was unwise at the start, but a 30 or 40% quota with escalation might be more feasible. I can repost it if you like...not sure how to link to a specific comment.

Basically the gist is that the player pool, subtracting players who are at too high of a level to consider switching and those at too low of a level to contribute (below 3rd tier in any country except England/Spain/Germany/France - fourth tier for them), you end up stretching the player pool to the extreme to get 50% (with some exceptions...such as my assumption that only 1/4 dual citizens playing in a country where they also had citizenship would switch, since many have pretty loose links to Canada).

It obviously has some assumptions, but I think it is an opitmistic evaluation considering it also assumes that all Canadians are out of contract when the league launches, which is asinine. As such, unless we want to rely on L1O/PLSQ for a huge chunk of the roster, we've got to be more conservative with our initial domestic quota, and allow for gradual escalation

EDIT

But I would certainly support a minimum number of starters as well...say 3 or 4 at start

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Add 40% or 30% quota with annual escalation to your list. That's a must have for me, because I think the quality will be quite poor otherwise (as I demonstrated in that wall of text) 

You could have decent quality with a 60% quota. You'd have 10 internationals on a team likely mixing with a 2-3 CanMNT players to create a starting XI and still providing a sub spot or 2 for developing Canadian talent. Plus you'd have a great deal more Canadians developing with the team as opposed to training with a L1O team or just giving up on the sport after university.

60% of 25 man squad is 15 men.
3 MNT + 2 USL/MLS academy releases + 2 Low Level Euro + 1 NCAA + 2 CIS + 2 L1O + 2 PLSQ = 14

Of those listed above 3 would likely be starters, I'd say 5 are bench guys and the rest are investments to see what happens with. That is doable for this league and would not be awful

5 hours ago, matty said:

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

1 hour ago, matty said:

You could have decent quality with a 60% quota. You'd have 10 internationals on a team likely mixing with a 2-3 CanMNT players to create a starting XI and still providing a sub spot or 2 for developing Canadian talent. Plus you'd have a great deal more Canadians developing with the team as opposed to training with a L1O team or just giving up on the sport after university.

60% of 25 man squad is 15 men.
3 MNT + 2 USL/MLS academy releases + 2 Low Level Euro + 1 NCAA + 2 CIS + 2 L1O + 2 PLSQ = 14

Of those listed above 3 would likely be starters, I'd say 5 are bench guys and the rest are investments to see what happens with. That is doable for this league and would not be awful

3 MNT? Across 8 teams that is 24 MNT players, basically moving every regular away from higher leagues into CPL. Not only would most not be interested, it would be terrible for the MNT

What we are really looking at is a handful of former a few dozen guys between NASL and USL coming over and hoping a very large proportion of lower level players abroad come over. Again, when I demonstrated that 50% quota was imaginable, it was with every Canadian being available on free transfer. When 2018 actually rolls around, that will not be the case at all, and you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel to hit domestic requirements through heavy reliance on L1O/PLSQ/CIS and really harming the quality of the product in the debut of the league. 

It's way better, IMO, to have a lower quota at launch that escalates than to have the league come off as bush league at launch and face dismissal by the mainstream. 

Besides, what's the point if your roster is half made up of L1O/PLSQ/CIS guys? They aren't hurting for playing time - they are hurting because there is nowhere for them to play at a higher level. If CPL is so heavily reliant on them, then the level won't dwarf that of the league they were already playing in, and the league would defeat it's own purpose

EDIT:

I should clarify that my 30-40% Canadian content argument includes a provision for a minimum number of Canadian starts (3-4, escalating at the same pace. In other words, add ~1 player to the starting 11 requirement every two years until the desired quota is hit). 

8 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Teams
Money
Balls
Fans
Moose

Nailed it

But serious answer:

8 teams, conferences with some crossover, 30-40%quota with escalation capping at 50-60%

TV deal with either sportsnet or tsn, preferably tsn, Voyageur cup involvement, Owners with deep pockets,

A non-antagonistic relationship with MLS, but not a feeder league either, single DP

Balls.

13 hours ago, matty said:

Like the cities list, this is a poll to see what everyone thinks the CPL needs. I'm gonna give a list of 18 things and you pick 5. I will then tally them up. I'd of posted this in the CPL thread but it's at like 115 pages or something by now.

-At least 6 teams to start (6*)
-At least 8 teams to start (6*)
-40% or 30% quota with annual escalation (5)+
-50% Canadian player quota to start (3)+
-60% Canadian player quota to start (1)
-75% Canadian player quota to start
-Conferences (3)
-Single table (3)
-A plan for Pro/Rel (2)
-Local media (1)+
-A TV deal with TSN (9.5*)
-A TV deal with SportsNet (1.5*)
-A TV deal with TLN (.5*)
-A CCL Spot (6)
-A cross Canada hosted Gold Cup (1)
-A single DP (2)
-2 DP slots
-MLS connections
-The Canadian MLS teams in the league
-A CIS draft
-A NCAA draft
-Minimum ownership requirements with 3 year commitment (3)+
-Minimum stadium requirements (nothing bush league) (2)+
-Academy partnerships (2)+
-Minimum coaching requirements (1)+

If you want to add something please list and I will add it. Also this is not a debate forum, just a poll.

My picks: 8 teams, 60%, conferences, TSN, CCL

*shared votes = .5
+ add on

Incredibly, the list totally minimizes the most important thing, which for me is totally naive and why all these silly CPL threads really irk me: ownership. 

The only thing you need, the one single thing you need for this project, is 8 ownership groups who can get together in a hotel somewhere, get along, get excited together, and put together a concerted effort to convince their local stakeholders with the backing of the CSA, and then, only then, worry about all the other bullshit. 

The only minimums after that are purely and exclusively in function of what those ownership groups actually have in their hands, not in the air, not imagined, not ideal. Or if they don't have, can be made operative in a year or 18 months. 

As is, as there is no such project currently in existence, this league is pure fantasy and a nice mental game for fans, but basically nowhere near even deserving being treated like a potential reality.

40 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Incredibly, the list totally minimizes the most important thing, which for me is totally naive and why all these silly CPL threads really irk me: ownership. 

The only thing you need, the one single thing you need for this project, is 8 ownership groups who can get together in a hotel somewhere, get along, get excited together, and put together a concerted effort to convince their local stakeholders with the backing of the CSA, and then, only then, worry about all the other bullshit. 

The only minimums after that are purely and exclusively in function of what those ownership groups actually have in their hands, not in the air, not imagined, not ideal. Or if they don't have, can be made operative in a year or 18 months. 

As is, as there is no such project currently in existence, this league is pure fantasy and a nice mental game for fans, but basically nowhere near even deserving being treated like a potential reality.

Hey true enough, but that's also something that we the fans would have about 0% say in, hence why we aren't really commenting on it.  I thought that was assumed, obviously ownership are always going to be the most important factor.

But ownership isn't something we can really make a fuss about if we don't like.  These other things, to a certain extent, are.

On 9/24/2016 at 3:41 PM, matty said:

My picks:

-40% or 30% quota with annual escalation
-A plan for Pro/Rel (I'll add that this needs to be built into the long-term Canadian league pyramid but must be built into the CanPL's initial framework for future implementation)
-A TV deal with TSN
-A CCL Spot
-Minimum stadium requirements (nothing bush league)

I'm unfamiliar on how the lotto corporations work across all provinces, but one of my criticisms of the CFL has been its inability to have 3 games played on the same day consistently, for Pro-line. If you could get a dedicated day for the CPL games it would be ideal for this reason IMO.

5 things necessary.

VCup entry, A plan for pro/rel (not franchises), 8 teams (if they are all in GTA, great), Canadian Quota escalation, minimum stadium requirements.

I feel like a TV deal is less important every day.

As long as the VCup is expanded, the MLS teams will get to play the CPL teams, no need for affiliations etc.

31 minutes ago, coppercanuck said:

why?

also i feel since v cup was added everyone is jumping at it. it's one of the few things i've always felt was a lock for this league so i'm going to remove it from the selection list. it's something that i feel is not negotiable (it's a must have) and is taking people's minds away from more curious matters like a canada hosted gold cup or how the league should do dps

12 hours ago, coppercanuck said:

If games are not available on television the league will fail. It doesn't have to be all games, but ALL MUST be available to stream. Given that so few supporters will be able to travel I think it is crucial that supporters can see their teams away games.

1 hour ago, ted said:

If games are not available on television the league will fail. It doesn't have to be all games, but ALL MUST be available to stream. Given that so few supporters will be able to travel I think it is crucial that supporters can see their teams away games.

Are you kidding? I've already got my hotels booked in Winnipeg and Calgary for the great green-hooped Regina invasion.

The league's been formally announced, right?

Archived