2016 MLS TV Ratings

masster

21 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Si it would be ok then if I had an agenda of only posting bad news about TFC/MLS even to the point of making it up?  And that would be knowing full well I am antagonizing people about the spirit and intention of the thread? 

How do you reach that conclusion from my post? I was taking you to task for what sounds like a ridiculous exaggeration, not condoning posts I haven't even seen in an off-topic thread I haven't read. I'm going by what I see in this thread. Somebody being negative about another sport on a discussion forum dedicated to another sport entirely is a million light years away from being actively engaged in trying to kill that other sport. If you have a problem with BBTB for his posts in an off-topic thread, it would make sense to either take it up with him in that thread or bring it to the attention of the moderators or forum administrators. Trolling another thread in return and attempting to annoy other posters who have nothing to do with this issue - and doing so in a thread which wasn't even a TFC thread - doesn't get you any sympathy from me.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could care less about your sympathy.  And neither talking with him nor moderators will work.  If it's ok for him to do what he does then obviously it's ok for me to do the same. 

And then maybe you can understand how some TFC fans have gone out of their way to turn off other folks from supporting them..

This is just my way of saying you want troll, you'll get it right back, I'm not going to sit there and take it and you can thank BBTB for that.  He stops playing games and I'll stop, easy peasy.  Childish, yes, immature yes, but now you can get a little taste of how i feel.

Well you know I was quite worried about how "some" TFC fans on this forum have gone out of their way to turn off people - or a single person from the looks of it - from supporting them. It was something I was thinking about the other day as I sat there in the midst of a  record crowd of 36,000, knowing full well that there would likely be a record tv audience watching, I remember thinking "Gee, if only we could get more support and we didn't have that one guy from the Voyageurs forum be turned off from supporting TFC - it would make all the difference!"

But never mind me. My house got burgled the other day, so I'm about to go and ransack the rest of the homes in the neighbourhood, so that they can get a little taste of how I feel. And no, I'm not posting this to get any sympathy either.

Again, to try to get back on track before the next derailment, this article demonstrates some of the impact the recent telecasts have had (and also gives an update on  what happened to Andrea Lombardo, for those that were wondering - strange to think he's now 29):

https://theathletic.com/28025/2016/12/03/toronto-fc-title-game-dont-bother-me-on-that-day-i-may-not-be-sober/

On 12/4/2016 at 3:33 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Again, to try to get back on track before the next derailment, this article demonstrates some of the impact the recent telecasts have had (and also gives an update on  what happened to Andrea Lombardo, for those that were wondering - strange to think he's now 29):

https://theathletic.com/28025/2016/12/03/toronto-fc-title-game-dont-bother-me-on-that-day-i-may-not-be-sober/

I remember watching Lombardo play for SC Toronto against Dino's FC Milton a few years back. his teammate that year was Jonathan Osorio who signed with TFC the following spring.

An average of 1.5 million on TSN/RDS for the final with 1.4 million of that being the English language TSN number:

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/toronto-fc-breaks-all-time-audience-record-yet-again-with-1-5-million-viewers-tuning-in-to-the-mls-cup-2016-on-tsn-and-rds/

TFC fans rallied around the Reds on Saturday night, as the MLS CUP 2016 was the most-watched program in the Greater Toronto Area – more than doubling the audience of the next-highest broadcast in the team’s home market and delivering a 35% share.

I wasn't sure they would break the record from the semi-final given that that was only one Canadian team in the final, rather than  two. Impressive stuff. Now it will be interesting to see how much of a spill-over effect there is for next season for all the Canadian teams, if any. A "Soccer Night in Canada" regular schedule that people know when to tune into on a regular basis would probably help in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I wasn't sure they would break the record from the semi-final given that that was only one Canadian team in the final, rather than  two. Impressive stuff. Now it will be interesting to see how much of a spill-over effect there is for next season for all the Canadian teams, if any. A "Soccer Night in Canada" regular schedule that people know when to tune into on a regular basis would probably help in that regard.

This is the real question. Canadians will tune in to a final or any other big event, but the weekly MLS ratings were fairly abysmal, with most broadcasts not getting much over 100k viewers. I suspect TFC would see a modest bump regardless. If, as rumoured, we start seeing MLS on CBC I think that could have a large positive ratings impact.

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

This is the real question. Canadians will tune in to a final or any other big event, but the weekly MLS ratings were fairly abysmal, with most broadcasts not getting much over 100k viewers. I suspect TFC would see a modest bump regardless. If, as rumoured, we start seeing MLS on CBC I think that could have a large positive ratings impact.

This. The league needs to either grow in quality akin to a top 4 European league or at least double its number of Canadian teams to get a significant ratings bump.

On 12/16/2016 at 8:36 AM, to70 said:

Not sure where to put this, but I just noticed that soccer has its own heading on sportsnet.ca along with NHL,NFL,NBA and MLB. Previously it was in the "more" column.

it"s been quite a while that its been like that, but can't say exactly when though.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 3:11 PM, masster said:

I heard that Zelkovich will no longer be writing his Great Canadian ratings report column for yahoo, so I don't think we will be able to track the ratings for 2017.

It would have been interesting to see the numbers for the weekend match because that one was on a main channel.  A channel where you dont need a cable subscription and channel that is not a speciality channel.  That hasnt happened since 10 years go when the CBC was showing matches.

• 4 months later...

From a couple industry people on CFL forums, some recent ratings for TFC & Whitecaps. Not all matches shown on all TSN channels.

Whitecaps 
July 29 at FC Dallas TSN2 55k
July 23 vs Portland TSN 65k
July 19 at LA TSN 90k

TFC 
July 30 vs NYC TSN 75k
July 22 vs Colorado TSN 40k
July 19 at NYC TSN 75k

Well, it reinforced most CFL fans view that MLS can't draw on Cdn tv.

But not cherry picked since these ratings were all the matches from the past 3 weeks and it was lumped in with Jays & CFL ratings. Jays are down near 50% YoY from around 1 million to now between 500-600k.

http://www.theprovince.com/toronto+success+drives+ratings+while+struggling+jays+numbers+drop/14104500/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Toronto FC averaging 93,000 viewers this season, up from 59,000 last season.
Whitecaps averaging 86,000 viewers this season, up from 69,000 last season.

In the 18-34 demographic, TFC up 39%, Montreal up 22%, Vancouver up 12%.

All these numbers from TSN.

Archived