2016 MLS TV Ratings

masster

21 hours ago, Macksam said:

I strongly believe that gives credence to the argument some, myself included,  here make with regards to a Canadian league being able to gain traction with the Canadian public much quicker than MLS has or ever will with the American market. This in turn logically would make the Canadian league pass MLS in terms of quality when traction is fully gained by said league considering overall revenues will become higher.

I also beleive Rob's post (qualitative evidence) also speaks a 1000 words and hammers my above point home.

CPL only needs to draw the same numbers than CFL in attendance and TV ratings to achieve that

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-11-25 at 0:47 PM, red card said:

Since Champions League Final moved to Saturday, the ratings have improved but still around 250-350k for English tv. I would guess <50k for French.

This is from last weekend so if there was soccer on it was sub 119k, Notice the Raptors coming back to earth.

Here are the most-watched sports events on English-language television from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

NHL, Leafs-Habs/Jets-Bruins/Panthers-Sens/Oilers-Stars, Saturday, CBC-Sportsnet: 2,300,000
CFL, East final, Edmonton at Ottawa, Sunday, TSN: 1,178,000
CFL, West final, B.C. at Calgary, Sunday, TSN: 1,049,000
NHL, Blackhawks at Canucks, Saturday, CBC-Sportsnet: 900,900
NFL, Ravens-Cowboys/Bills-Bengals, Sunday, CTV: 687,000
NFL, Pats-Niners/Eagles-Seahawks, Sunday, CTV: 549,000
NFL, Packers at Skins, Sunday, TSN: 298,000 (NBC audience not measured)
NBA, Raptors at Nuggets, Friday, TSN: 297,000
Figure skating, Cup of China, Saturday, CBC: 283,000
NHL, Flames at Red Wings, Sunday, Sportsnet: 270,000
NHL, Penguins at Islanders, Friday, Sportsnet One, Ontario, Pacific: 238,000
NHL, Lightning at Flyers, Saturday, Sportsnet: 226,000
NBA, Raptors at Kings, Sunday, Sportsnet One: 200,000
Figure skating, Cup of China, Sunday, CBC: 194,000
NHL, Canadiens at Hurricanes, Friday, Sportsnet East: 186,000
NHL, Jets at Hurricanes, Sunday, TSN regional: 162,000
NHL, Blackhawks at Flames, Friday, Sportsnet West: 155,000
Tennis, ATP London men’s final, Sunday, TSN: 144,000
Auto racing, NASCAR Xfinity Ford 300, Saturday, TSN: 136,000
Auto racing, NASCAR Sprint Ford 400, Sunday, TSN: 119,000 (NBC audience not measured)

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Seeing as BringBackTheBlizzard has yet again decided to troll the CFL thread you can now expect a barrage of negative stories from me regarding MLS and more specifically TFC.  A few of you asked him not to continue doing it and he has ignored you (yet again) so you know who to thank.  And as usual we know who ALWAYS starts the shit, a few scummy TFC people who want to see our only truly professional Canadian league dead.  Let the games begin.

Post all of the negative MLS ratings news you want. I have no problem with that. We know that MLS ratings are poor, as I have been highlighting all year.

If you have problems with TFC fans however, please take that elsewhere. This thread isn't just about them.

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Seeing as BringBackTheBlizzard has yet again decided to troll the CFL thread you can now expect a barrage of negative stories from me regarding MLS and more specifically TFC.  A few of you asked him not to continue doing it and he has ignored you (yet again) so you know who to thank.  And as usual we know who ALWAYS starts the shit, a few scummy TFC people who want to see our only truly professional Canadian league dead.  Let the games begin.

It's a good thing that this is a general Canadian sports supporters discussion forum and not specifically a Canadian soccer supporter forum, otherwise this behaviour would look like it was petty, ridiculous and completely misplaced.

Oh, wait a minute.........

Look for me it's all about a little vindication for soccer in Canada, I don't really have anything against you or the CFL and any other sports, but as you know by the back and forth we have had I've been at this Canada and North American soccer thing since the early 70's as I've stated on many posts on here, so seeing a little success for soccer in Canada and north America by some improved TV ratings over the years and by some improvement in attendances is a little vindication to all the soccer haters in the mainstream media and in the general public. We are all human so of course when someone puts down something you like you react and I react. Therefore, I do feel a little vindication to all those people who kept telling us pro soccer in Canada and the US was never going to work again after the old NASL folded in 1984 and the soccer haters piled on after the old NASL folded. Is soccer going to take over Canada and the US I don't think so but at least it's trending in the right direction in many areas . If I like to point out at the problems that the CFL is having in Toronto at the moment well it's a little about giving it back from the times soccer got it  when the old NASL folded and when other failures happened in soccer in Toronto. Furthermore, as I've stated before for whatever reason soccer seems to be the sport that has a lot of soccer haters in the mainstream media and the general public so anytime I see a little success I'm going to point it out for everyone to see.

This is so unproductive. 

Do CFL fans love a league because, despite its flaws, it is ours? Yeah. Should that sound familiar to a Voyageur? It really should. 

I'm not even a CFL fan, but I take pride that something purely Canadian, the CFL, survives and even thrives in most markets. I am proud that a large portion of our population chooses to watch the hometown boys rather than pretending they have a deep connection with a team 2000 km away. 

Who cares that CFL outdraws MLS by an order of magnitude on your average game day... We should be happy to see Canadians getting a chance at a high level in a pro league and seeing the nation support it. It's something we are going to try to emulate ourselves as soccer fans. When we see a soccer match draw similar interest for the occasional game, that's reason to be happy, but only because it is a positive sign for the sport, not because we've "beaten" the bad old CFL

The spectre of the pompous CFL fan who talks down about "soft soccer" seems mostly fictional, I have met exactly one person who acted like that in my life. People like Bob McGowan or Sun media "journalists" try to drum up controversy to sell a story, but I think it's mostly made up drivel that drives these fanbase apart. 

Really, the Voyageurs and Canadian soccer fans as a whole have a lot more in common with CFL fans than we have in differences. We should start acting like it 

7 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

25k average (approx) and that includes a poor year in a rebuilding Toronto market.  CPL ain't gonna do that (unfortunately)

Not on the outset but eventually? Who knows Jo Mac. When we get professional teams across the country, people will tune in. 

Speaking of which, what city will you support in the CPL?

Btw, I'm watching the Grey Cup right now. I encourage everyone to have fun with it even if they don't have any real interest in the league.

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The spectre of the pompous CFL fan who talks down about "soft soccer" seems mostly fictional,

I think it is. However, there are a few bad apples. You should check the CFL fan forum. There's this guy named Access Media who is completely deluded about soccer and the Argos place in the GTA market. It's scary how warped his mind is.

26 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Not on the outset but eventually? Who knows Jo Mac. When we get professional teams across the country, people will tune in. 

Speaking of which, what city will you support in the CPL?

Btw, I'm watching the Grey Cup right now. I encourage everyone to have fun with it even if they don't have any real interest in the league.

Grey Cup, great game so far.  I'm going for the underdog because i am a masochist when it comes to finding a team to cheer for.

As for the CPL, I don't know.  I'd cheer for a scrappy team.  Funny that I just can't get behind MLS but I loved the CSL and plan to support the CPL if and when it comes about.

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Grey Cup, great game so far.  I'm going for the underdog because i am a masochist when it comes to finding a team to cheer for.

As for the CPL, I don't know.  I'd cheer for a scrappy team.  Funny that I just can't get behind MLS but I loved the CSL and plan to support the CPL if and when it comes about.

I assume you mean finding a team to cheer for in this Grey Cup? Surely you have a CFL team. Where do you live? I was thinking you are from Saskatchewan, but I could have that wrong.

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

I assume you mean finding a team to cheer for in this Grey Cup? Surely you have a CFL team. Where do you live? I was thinking you are from Saskatchewan, but I could have that wrong.

You have that very wrong, why do people always assume CFL fans are from the west only? :)  As for the GC I'm going for Ottawa all the way and have been since they came back to the league.  They are an exciting team to watch.

22 minutes ago, Macksam said:

One Republic is a testament to how crappy mainstream music is now a days. This makes me want to put an old Alice in Chains record on so badly just to cleanse my ears of this garbage.

Well I think I have a lot of years on you and heard a bit of music in my time but i don't think those guys are bad at all especially considering I missed their era.  At least it ain't rap or what they now call country. :)

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Well I think I have a lot of years on you and heard a bit of music in my time but i don't think those guys are bad at all especially considering I missed their era.  At least it ain't rap or what they now call country. :)

This is their era lol

On a different note, I'm falling in love with those older ladies in Calgary's luxury box :wub:

I hope they complete the come back.

Edit: FUCK YEAH!!!!!! Onside kick FTW.

17 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I suggest a quick rendition of kumbaya then getting back on topic

You being a little naive.  There is not going to be a kumbaya.  JM has been posting the same anti Toronto, anti southern ontario garbage for 15 years. After a while, You kind of figure it out.   But a lot of people are slow.   Its not about the CFL.  There are lots of good cfl stories to talk about but you dont see that from what he posts so you can tell that he doesnt even follow the cfl.   He doesnt post anything about soccer either.  

No he is all about petty regionalism and ignorance and he is here to bait people.   

Archived