2016 MLS TV Ratings

masster

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.tsn.ca/tfc-impact-game-sets-canadian-mls-audience-record-1.615462

TFC-Impact game sets Canadian MLS audience record

Tuesday night’s thrilling MLS Eastern Conference Championship featuring Montreal Impact vs. Toronto FC game had it all – including record-breaking ratings. Overnight data from Numeris confirms that an average audience of more than 1 million viewers watched the Impact’s 3-2 victory over TFC on TSN (595,000*) and RDS (429,000*) – making it Canada’s most-watched MLS game ever.

Overall, more than 3.6 million unique viewers watched some part of the Leg #1 match on TSN and RDS, with audience levels peaking at 10:27 p.m. ET in the final minute of regular time.

Last night’s audience nearly doubles the previous all-time record of 587,000 on TSN and RDS for the TFC-Impact playoff match on October 29, 2015.

This year’s Eastern Conference Championship marks the first time a Canadian team is guaranteed to compete for the championship title in MLS history.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They started using a SNIC logo on MLS stories on their website, but not on any of their other soccer related context.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/tfc-loss-impact-feels-more-like-win-1.3863726

Soccer Night in Canada

I don't know if that is definitive, but it is some good sleuthing.  I just took a look around the site and you are right.  Seems like a rather odd and unlikely coincidence...

Looks like the Impact vs TFC game also did quite well in ratings terms in the United States on ESPN:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/71339/tv-report-canada-clasico-smashes-viewing-record.html

The game also drew 415,000 viewers on ESPN, the largest audience for a non-MLS Cup playoff game on ESPN since the 2014 game between the LA Galaxy and Seattle (573,000 viewers).

so the all-Canadian angle doesn't appear to be an issue.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Looks like the Impact vs TFC game also did quite well in ratings terms in the United States on ESPN:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/71339/tv-report-canada-clasico-smashes-viewing-record.html

The game also drew 415,000 viewers on ESPN, the largest audience for a non-MLS Cup playoff game on ESPN since the 2014 game between the LA Galaxy and Seattle (573,000 viewers).

so the all-Canadian angle doesn't appear to be an issue.

So 2.5 times as many viewers watched the game in Canada - a country 1/10th the size of the US.

I just asked this on the Waking The Red article about the ratings, but does anybody know if any club soccer games have had higher ratings in Canada than this game? I would expect probably Champions League finals, but I am not sure anything else would have eclipsed these numbers.

Since Champions League Final moved to Saturday, the ratings have improved but still around 250-350k for English tv. I would guess <50k for French.

So, it would be fair to say Tuesday was most watched club football on Cdn tv. 

Still pales to last Women's World Cup where Canada matches averaged 2.3 million and quarters hit 3.2 million. Final averaged 2.1 million. 

Men's World Cup without Canada hits higher peaks with 4.9 million on average watched the Germany/Argentina Final. The average for all matches was 1.7 million.   

Don't think they are hugely different when you use the combined TSN/RDS numbers. These ratings numbers were surprsingly good for MLS in a Canadian context and this shows that there is very real scope for doing what NASCAR achieved in the United States in the years ahead and moving from being a niche interest confined mainly to certain demographics in only some geographical areas to something that the mainstream pays attention to and cares about.

20 hours ago, jpg75 said:

So 2.5 times as many viewers watched the game in Canada - a country 1/10th the size of the US.

Hopefully that will make the powers that be within MLS question whether they really are fully expanded in Canada. Most would agree that having a second team has been good for the league in a New York context by adding the local derby angle, which is why they didn't give up on having a second LA team even after Chivas USA went into its death spiral. Given that backdrop is a second Golden Horseshoe team completely inconceivable? Sadly yes if it was left to MLSE judging by what they have done in the NHL, but maybe it's easier to talk them around when they are an I/O rather than full franchise owners. Then there's the question of whether Ottawa and an Alberta team are really out of the question given the markets involved are comparable to Salt Lake City in size and RSL have seems to have done OK.

Sat down for a drink with 5 buddies yesterday. Only one watches soccer at all, and he primarily watches EPL. Four of the five watched at least some part of the TFC-Impact game and were surprisingly up to speed on the repainting lines issue, the poor surface, and how the quality of play may have been affected by said surface. I was pretty flabbergasted as I regularly try to engage non-soccer friends with a little EPL, WC, Euro, CL, MLS, or National Team chatter but usually with little purchase. To me that is an example of the reach of that game. Pretty stupendous. 

On November 25, 2016 at 9:19 AM, jpg75 said:

I strongly believe that gives credence to the argument some, myself included,  here make with regards to a Canadian league being able to gain traction with the Canadian public much quicker than MLS has or ever will with the American market. This in turn logically would make the Canadian league pass MLS in terms of quality when traction is fully gained by said league considering overall revenues will become higher.

I also beleive Rob's post (qualitative evidence) also speaks a 1000 words and hammers my above point home.

I beg to differ I still think that if MLS expanded into Canada even more which I know won't happen, that it could be pretty successful in places like Edmonton or Calgary even Winnipeg  and Ottawa and crowds in the 20 000 mark could be obtained .

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that. If MLS decided to go into places like Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa, the league would be successful in those regions and overall ratings would increase immensely as a result. Since we both know it's not going to happen (never say never I guess), I'm just saying a high level Canadian league driven by excluded markets can gain better traction in this country than MLS has or will in the near future with regards to the American market.

Seeing as BringBackTheBlizzard has yet again decided to troll the CFL thread you can now expect a barrage of negative stories from me regarding MLS and more specifically TFC.  A few of you asked him not to continue doing it and he has ignored you (yet again) so you know who to thank.  And as usual we know who ALWAYS starts the shit, a few scummy TFC people who want to see our only truly professional Canadian league dead.  Let the games begin.

On 2016-11-26 at 6:42 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Don't think they are hugely different when you use the combined TSN/RDS numbers. These ratings numbers were surprsingly good for MLS in a Canadian context and this shows that there is very real scope for doing what NASCAR achieved in the United States in the years ahead and moving from being a niche interest confined mainly to certain demographics in only some geographical areas to something that the mainstream pays attention to and cares about.

The CFL games rated twice the amount of the most important game in either the Impact's or TFC's history.  They were only nearly equaled by adding a good number from the Impact's following on RDS. 

The CFL rating which didn't include RDS could be increased substantially by any of the following numbers.  In a mean nothing game earlier this year 172k watched the Als on RDS, 90-100K will watch RDS for a regular game not including Montreal, and easily equal the Impact number will watch the Als in an important matchup like the Impact just had.

It is not known yet how many fans will watch Ottawa on RDS.  Strangely Ottawa has the perception of not being a great draw on TV but did well last week.

The 500k TSN TFC/Impact rating (the dream matchup) is about equal to that of a regular season CFL game and i would hasten to add still below what should be considered an average CFL number.

The GTA drives ratings and seems to only back a playoff drive.  We see now that during the regular season the Raps have come back to earth and the devastatingly abysmal TFC rating average of about 38k this season (before the playoffs) was enough to allow TSN to drop them.  Lame poker and lumberjack sports shows would likely have a better return on the investment..

And as much as the GTA has undergone an “Americanization” of sports according to Vijay Setlur (sports marketing instructor at York University’s Schulich School of Business) it is highly unlikely a return to CBC and being branded "Soccer Night in Canada" is going to help.

Interesting story on Bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2016-11-25/tv-sport-loses-its-allure-for-younger-viewers.

almost a throw away observation at the end about the absence of a presence on free tv impacting on viewing habits. Not really support with data, and I don't think it is really a factor - but perhaps a small ray of hope for MLS tv ratings if CBC is involved.

Good article and you raise an interesting point and one I've been harping on in the Cord Cutting Thread

BTW there is a good article posted there now Legit ways to save money on your TV, phone and internet bills

The CBC has a fantastic streaming service but I'm afraid it and it's free service have become less and less relevant.  Logically thinking, you would think they have done everything right to compete in what's looking like the future marketplace.

But as I quoted above about the Americanization of sports in Canada, will young people turn to the CBC or is it not "cool or big league" enough for the massive and important GTA market. You can still see how the wide reaching CTV can put any old American drivel on in prime time and get fantastic numbers.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

And as much as the GTA has undergone an “Americanization” of sports according to Vijay Setlur (sports marketing instructor at York University’s Schulich School of Business) it is highly unlikely a return to CBC and being branded "Soccer Night in Canada" is going to help.

I don't think that's the right term. It just sounds too simplistic. I tried googling but couldn't find anything regarding this. Could you elaborate specifically on what he meant by this?

10 hours ago, 1996 said:

I beg to differ I still think that if MLS expanded into Canada even more which I know won't happen, that it could be pretty successful in places like Edmonton or Calgary even Winnipeg  and Ottawa and crowds in the 20 000 mark could be obtained .

MLS won't expand and that opened the door wide open for CPL to happen.

Americans never did fully understood the Canadian market very well

Archived