The 2016 Rio Olympics thread: August 3rd to 19th

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we are going to need some luck to get out of this one.  France should have had a PK, just missed at the end of the half, and has generally been better IMO.  

Maybe be we can grab one on the break and then bunker down, but we just aren't clicking the way we have in other games.

Just finished watching the game.  You know what they say:  It doesn't have to be pretty.  Just find a way.

Although I gotta say that this isn't Sinclair's best performance.  Years ago her passing was much more accurate, and she wouldn't commit hand balls or a near own goal.  I am not sure if the passing thing has to do with her still learning how to connect with the newbies or if she has really declined.  Oh well, we got a result today.

And yeah, nerves was getting onto Buchanan.

Beckie is the leading threat going forward, she made that goal out of nothing. 

Sinclair is a legend, put up the best performance anyone has seen in red and white man or woman (hat trick against the states) and probably the heart of this team. But, time catches up to everyone eventually

The international broadcaster is a perv.  I thought he did it the first time but it wasn't until I watched the replay later that i noticed he called Ashley Lawrence, Ashley Madison during the introductions after the national anthems.

I had to google the name to make sure it was what I thought it was, that only makes me a half perv :)

A huge shout out to the ladies for their big win. Never play for a draw trying to improve your position for the next round. Just go for it and build the confidence. Beckie is the future. She just makes things happen offensively that others don't in the offensive third.

13 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

No matter what happens today, I will still be proud of our ladies.  They could've easily lost to Germany on purpose to play China instead, but they did not.  This team is about fair play.  I just hope God will look down on them with favour in His eyes!

Thanks, Gord.

9 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Funny how Hope Solo, in the bonus chapter of her book, mentioned that Canada couldn't lose with class in London and that we should've been more like Japan.

Who's acting classless now, Hope?

I don't think there's anything wrong with Hope Solo, she just got a bit mixed up.  She meant to say that Canada lost to a bunch of cowards in the last Olympics.

I know that Zadorsky got that red card vs the Aussies but for me she has been the unsung/unheralded/perhaps underrated presence in this team.  Good on the ball, good reader of the game, and an excellent complement to Buchanan.  They look to be a pretty good foundation for the next several years.

Much like Scott, who started as a forward and became our best defensive midfielder, Zadorsky started as a midfielder and is becoming a solid back-line player.  It's great that these players got the chance to excel in other positions rather than just get punted when they didn't succeed in their original roles.

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I know that Zadorsky got that red card vs the Aussies but for me she has been the unsung/unheralded/perhaps underrated presence in this team.  Good on the ball, good reader of the game, and an excellent complement to Buchanan.  They look to be a pretty good foundation for the next several years.

I was going to say the same thing about Quinn.  I didn't really think about her before the games and I don't during the games because she quietly goes about her business, being excellent.

11 hours ago, rkomar said:

Much like Scott, who started as a forward and became our best defensive midfielder, Zadorsky started as a midfielder and is becoming a solid back-line player.  It's great that these players got the chance to excel in other positions rather than just get punted when they didn't succeed in their original roles.

Herdman realizes we don't have the depth yet to shunt players just because they may not make the national team in the position they played in youth teams.

Plus our youth cubs and provincial teams aren't noted for making the right calls about our players, so no reason for Herdman to follow the script. \

Herdman sees a gap in the team, doesn't see in the youth system anybody soon yet to fill it and so fills it with someone who is of national team calibre but not playing in the best position. 

21 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Canada looked unusually nervous during the France pre game and national anthem, I hope that is actually focus.

True 'Canadian grit': Women's soccer team ready for rematch with Germany
After beating France, Canada will look for 2nd-ever win over Germany
Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press Aug 13, 2016

Their self-belief is stout. And the focus is unwavering. A team official said you could have heard a pin drop on the team bus as it made its way to the stadium.

Archived