The 2016 Rio Olympics thread: August 3rd to 19th

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Her tackle wasn't due to her having to do it all by herself and thus getting in trouble - it was absolutely terrible decision making.  I am a Buchannan fan, but I am not interested in making excuses for that play.

Yes, that one's on her.  And she'll learn from it, I'm sure.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 2:52 PM, tc-in-bc said:

[[ 2 ]  Player for player, the Germans  are all individually    as big as,  or bigger than,  Melissa Tancredi  . And yet they’re all so technical and good with the ball.  Canada lost a lot of one-on-one battles  going forward and in defending   today. It’s concern to me that CANWNT is getting smaller and shorter.  If all variables are equal ,  one would prefer a team  that’s big, quick and technical OVER a team that’s small quick and technical.

I'll gladly take more Lawrences and Flemings, players who are comfortable on the ball and can make things happen with their technical skills, quickness, and decision making.   I really want us to get away from the big time athlete first/footballer second.

Just curious, people, do you think we will win tomorrow?  It's okay to be honest.

I think it will be a 1-1 tie and then we win on penalties.

My prediction may be a bit biased because I don't really believe in home advantage.  I've seen evidence for it, and I've seen evidence against it.  Overall, I haven't seen home advantage consistently enough to take it seriously, but at the same time I'm not saying it will be easy to defeat host Brazil either.

What's your prediction?

No Janine Beckie in the starting eleven ? Risky.  She's CANWNT's  leading scorer in 2016 and  our leading scorer in the Olympics. That said, she has two game winning goals against Brazil in the past  and maybe John Herdman is anticipating that Brazil has designed their tactics around stopping Janine Beckie.

Should we get a penalty kick or go to a shootout, I hope someone tells the referee to keep an eye on Barbara. During both shootouts in the previous two games she was well off her line on every kick and no one said anything.

Well done ladies.  Great game - a number of good chances, converted enough of them, and soaked up the pressure we all knew was coming in the closing minutes.

And as much as I ripped on Buchannan for her tackle last game, she had a perfectly timed slide in the box to deny a chance this time.  Credit where it is due.

Great tournament.  Maintaining the high standard for Canadian woman's footy. 

We stopped playing with about 15 minutes to go, giving Brazil the opportunity to get back into the game.  A little more attack would have been good.  But, we held on, so I can't complain too much.  A great tournament overall for our team, with wins over #2, 3, 5 and 8.  Kudos to Labbe, for getting the job done.

Out of all the sports in the Summer Olympics, I think women's soccer is the only one that I follow between Olympics (I follow men's too obviously but being U23 it doesn't seem as important here). Getting a medal was probably my biggest wish and though I wish it was silver or gold, I'm happy for the team that they were able to repeat the bronze.  There are a lot of newcomers so it's a new experience for them.

I'm expecting this game will have been more exciting than the Gold medal game will be, hopefully Germany will take it unless Sweden decides to open up and then I might cheer for them.

I was one of Sinclair's detractors and am very happy to be wrong.

Great win ladies in red.  Spanish commentators had the greatest praise for Ashley Lawrence.  Second place for substitute Candace Chapman and some praise for John Herdman.  The most colorful praise was for Kadeisha Buchanan they said she has telescopic legs!  Love it.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Well, that ended up being a lot closer than it needed to be. Fantastic performance for the first hour but Herman fvcked it up and disrupted the rhythm with his sustitutions and we were hanging on by our fingernails at the end. As soon as Matheson came off Brazil took control.

Still, it's Bronze! Well done ladies!

Looked to me for 5min or so before she was subbed that DMath was toast. In fact my daughter asked if she had been subbed or if she was still on the field as she had become a bit invisible. doesn't necessarily mean that it was a good substitution or not, but to me it seemed like she needed to come off.

This is an incredible result in the larger picture of Canadian women's soccer, and very unexpected to many people. They caught fire in a bottle in 2012 but in this tournament they were full measure for their wins and very much deserved their medal. The fact that the Canadian women have gone from a very direct style with much less necessary technical ability to a team that can be calm on the ball and creative with manufacturing offensive opportunities in a relatively short period of time is a real testament to the entire technical organization behind the women's team. I wouldn't call them a Tier 1 team yet, despite the fact that they took down a couple of Tier 1 teams in this tournament, but they are much closer to being one than I thought the short period of time between either London or especially WWC2015 would suggest was possible. 

It was mentioned previously on CBC that a bronze medal or getting much higher up the world rankings was necessary to keep up the Own the Podium funding for the development programs.  Thank goodness the ladies were able to attain that level of success, because it would have been a shame to throttle the program just as it's getting into "conveyor belt" mode.  So, these wins meant a lot more than just a medal.

Archived