The 2016 Rio Olympics thread: August 3rd to 19th

[ 1 ] Two articles about the Rio Olympics mementos. Confirms what's been said here on the board.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/179664-why-are-olympic-medalists-getting-statues-instead-of-flowers-rios-alternative-is-more-sustainable

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-19/what-are-the-little-rio-2016-statues-the-athletes-are-given-during-the-medal-ceremonies

[ 2 ] Pictures of  Swedish forward, Kosovare Asllani balancing  the  figurine on her head during the medal presentation:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqQj8aaVIAAUzRM.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqQj-TYUkAE-hup.jpg

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎20 at 2:59 PM, rob.notenboom said:

In the 2nd part are you referring to Kyle? If so, she didn't refuse a call up. She was named as an alternate and stayed with her club to play. My understanding is that, if she was needed, she would have gone to Brazil when called. 

The other one you mention is either expecting or has a newborn (not following her closely enough to know for sure) so she wouldn't have been there anyway. 

If that was the case with Kyle, then I was mistaken,but the other one was S. Leroux.

16 hours ago, The Ref said:

The gold in 2012 by the US was the result of a poor referee and Wambach taking advantage of the weak referee and intimidating her to force a win against Canada.  This year Karma caught up with them.

As a Canadian, of course I know what happened and no need to explain it to me.  If you want to explain it to anyone, explain to Lauren Holiday, who is defending Abby on Twitter, in response to my tweets to her.

2 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

As a Canadian, of course I know what happened and no need to explain it to me.  If you want to explain it to anyone, explain to Lauren Holiday, who is defending Abby on Twitter, in response to my tweets to her.

Noted.  Sometimes what I write comes out wrong.

^^ That's okay.  I take every opportunity to express my view on the Canada/USA semifinal as well, as you can see in my response to Lauren Holiday.

On a separate note, did anyone see our girls' photos on Twitter on the closing ceremony?  If Marie Eve-Nault was borrowing a teammate's medal, she is definitely borrowing it in every photo like it's hers.  Even Melanie Booth responded to Nault's photo saying that she was happy for her?  Happy for what?  As far as we know, Nault didn't get a medal.

4 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

^^ That's okay.  I take every opportunity to express my view on the Canada/USA semifinal as well, as you can see in my response to Lauren Holiday.

On a separate note, did anyone see our girls' photos on Twitter on the closing ceremony?  If Marie Eve-Nault was borrowing a teammate's medal, she is definitely borrowing it in every photo like it's hers.  Even Melanie Booth responded to Nault's photo saying that she was happy for her?  Happy for what?  As far as we know, Nault didn't get a medal.

Did Nault make the 18 when Chapman was injured and Belanger suspended?

4 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Nault is on the team.  She didn't make the Olympic roster, but she's still one of them, and got to be with them while it all happened.  Why shouldn't she be happy at the team's success?  If one of the active players lent her the medal for a while, it just shows what they think of her (and the other alternates).

Guys, Marie-Eve Nault did in fact receive a medal.  The rules were changed this year.  Alternates didn't get to stand on the podium, but they did receive a medal afterwards.  See this link that Nault posted on her Twitter: http://www.lapresse.ca/le-nouvelliste/sports/201608/22/01-5013019-marie-eve-nault-a-recu-une-medaille-olympique.php?_branch_match_id=296716775479299865

The article is in French, but I used Google translate and I was able to read the article in English and it confirms what I told you.  So... congrats to the alternates is right.

According to the article, alternates get medals now, so Kyle being an alternate would mean that she would get one.

Does anyone know if CANWNT will do any type of tour after this successful Olympics?  I would love to meet Sinclair again, and some of the players I haven't met before.  I know there is a conference in November in Richmond, BC (http://coach.ca/registration-now-open-for-the-2016-petro-canada-sport-leadership-sportif-conference--p159586) but this one is expensive and I've been to Richmond/Vancouver too many times already.  Anyone know if members of CANWNT are visiting anywhere soon?

2 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

According to the article, alternates get medals now, so Kyle being an alternate would mean that she would get one.

Does anyone know if CANWNT will do any type of tour after this successful Olympics?  I would love to meet Sinclair again, and some of the players I haven't met before.  I know there is a conference in November in Richmond, BC (http://coach.ca/registration-now-open-for-the-2016-petro-canada-sport-leadership-sportif-conference--p159586) but this one is expensive and I've been to Richmond/Vancouver too many times already.  Anyone know if members of CANWNT are visiting anywhere soon?

There was a hint that there would be some home friendlies scheduled but no details. 

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM, paul-collins said:

Does Kyle get one?  That would be weird.

Actually, I got you the answer now.  The answer is no, Kyle did not get a medal.  According to her Twitter, there were 21 girls who brought home the bronze (which I interpret to be the18 on the roster plus the other 3 alternates).  Kyle, being the 4th alternate, said it was hard for her not to accept the bronze medal.  I don't know what that means.  Maybe the alternate has to be in Rio to get the medal?  Kyle's twitter confirmed that she stayed in Orlando to help her club.  I can't think of any other reason why the other 3 alternates got medals but not Kyle.  But to answer your question, no, she didn't get a medal, according to Kyle herself.

[ 1 ]    Congratulations   CANWNT :

FIFA/Coca-Cola  World Ranking :  Women's rankings , Aug. 26, 2016:

1.  USA                     2137        2168             0

2   Germany              2112        2115             0

3   France                 2046        2064             0

4    Canada               2031       1938            +6

[ 2 ]        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfdw6Q3U6Fk

^^ That is excellent news for Canada!

I would have thought that Germany would move up to #1 and that USA would move down due to the early elimination.  All the article says was that USA's lead against Germany was cut in half.  I wonder why USA didn't move down a ranking at all.

And I am sad for Japan.  Japan is now #8.  Japan is like my backup team whenever I can't cheer for Canada anymore.

8 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Typical FIFA ranking nonsense. Japan are in the top 4 in the world regardless of what FIFA say. They prove it at every World Cup.

Australia and China beat Japan to get into the Olympics.  It may be that most of the team is getting old, but are still too good to be replaced by youngsters (similar to us at the last World Cup).  It just may be a bad time in their cycle, and the rankings are showing it.

This article has some good views on 4 Canadian players from their play at the Olympics: Fleming, Beckie & Lawrence.

Jessie Fleming: She was the main reason for the rise of Canada. What is needed is more team support though and you see she isnt yet experienced in dictating the rhythm of a team or positioning herself as an anchor point when in possession of the ball. 

Janine Beckie:  Her goal against France remained the goal of the tournament because it required extra class in ball control for the first touch, realising the movement of the opponent and how to out manouvre her, and a good overview to see where to play the perfect pass to open the goal.

Ashley Lawrence: This tournament was the first time she could show her wing back talents to a wider audience.  Very interesting if she can go all the way to match the very top wing backs in the world. Some work still to do regarding the offensive skills.

Christine Sinclair: She might not quite match the precise touch of the ball the younger top players of today have. But her work rate and tactical understanding are still making her the engine of the “new” Canadian team.

http://www.football-women.com/2016/08/22/3-points-on-players-of-the-olympics-rio-2016/

The U.S. Soccer Federation is another example of a national soccer association not backing their own players.  In the case of Hope Solo, the Federation not only turned their back on her but went over the coach's head and condemned Solo for previous matters not even related to her opinion of the Swedish team.  The whole thing smells to McCarthyism to me.  I hope Solo appeals and wins.

Archived